996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My long, sad 996 story - must read :)

Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Maniac28
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout

Sorry for your troubles. I am dying to here the specs on the car (mileage/color/options/pics).
Here is a preview. 73,000 miles, driven 6,500 miles per year by an old man in a dry desert climate. Always garaged.

It's a black coupe. Unmolested. It has all the nice stuff - limited slip diff, 18" wheels, black interior with full leather, premium audio, and it's a six speed. It's best option is the imploding engine option.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Sorry to hear about your trouble. If you have signed the papers and taken possession of the 996, then it's unlikely that you have the option to get your Miata back. I'd concentrate on getting the 996 fixed properly. Once they take care of this as they are contractually obligated to do, then you should enjoy your 996.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Maniac28
If I do get a motor from Porsche and I can verify the work is done properly... will the new engine still be prone to IMS failure, or have they solved that? I ask because I have a lot of experience with a particular motorcycle manufacturer who builds a certain defect into each bike, and replaces bad parts with more bad parts. I've worked on hundreds of broken bikes with the same problem yet the manufacturer denies, denies. (fortunately the aftermarket has a solution).

Is this how Porsche is as well?
I will be installing another S&S gear drive 510 cam set tomorrow in a Road King.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
larry47us
Pro

Maniac:

People post all kinds of stories on this forum. From the guys that buy a car and THEN arrange for a PPI to people that are buying their first Porsche and do their first post with, "is this a good car to buy, what should I look out for?" This is the first time that I remember someone posting that they bought a car they were thinking they shouldn't, and then after it blew up - "what should I do now."

Read the warranty that they provided you carefully. Be sure that you have both legs to stand on. Then have them get you a replacement engine. In all likelihood they will try to put a used engine into your car. Remember that a used engine will likely have all of the potential issues that your imploding 996 had.

Have your attorney in the background ready to pounce. Don't let grass grow under your feet. Get this dealt with NOW. They didn't want this car, they wanted it off their lot. They had no experience with Porsches and wanted to pawn it off on someone who was unsuspecting. If your warranty holds, you are LUCKY.

Keep us posted, and learn from this for when you buy your next Porsche - because you WILL buy another Porsche. It's a disease.

larry
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Nissan dealer will not pay to have a Porsche remanufactured engine in it.
Get your Mazda back and walk (drive) away, then tell all your friends that the dealer is a crook.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad story. That is one of the reasons I am super picky with dealers. They will sell you whatever they can as they are trained to. In this case if the warranty covers then I will say get the new engine. If the car was 1 owner and clean car I will have them replace the engine and keep the car. Just make sure work is done right and of course the "new" engine has some warranty work, etc. Make sure its done right someone who knows about Porsches, not Nissan!!!

Good luck and post some pics if you decide to keep her.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Most states have a 3day period were you can unwind your deal. Be quick
Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM
larry47us
Pro

There is a three day rescission period when you are buying a house, or refinancing a house. I have never heard of that when buying a car!!! There would be a lot of people bringing cars back, especially to the unscrupulous dealers.

Even though you have this warranty, you really don't want a non-porsche shop putting a porsche engine into this car and kissing you good-bye. You will want to read that warranty CLOSELY to see what your options are. I am willing to bet that you have few options. On top of which, the dealer isn't going to want to unwind this deal. They got rid of the lemon that they had. Why should they want to take it back?

larry
Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Maniac28
AutoX

I have been talking to them just now and it sounds like I have some advocates there, and I may be able to undo this whole deal. I just want it over with so I can sleep at night. One thing is for sure, I will never make this mistake again. Not saying I won't get a 996, if I do, I will do it right next time.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear that the nightmare may be over. I'm not surprised that they might unwind the deal. They would never pay to install a Porsche reman. engine in that car. The cost of which is probably more than what you paid for it. They will most likely do the least they have to and get the Porsche running again and unload it on anther unsuspecting buyer and pray that the fix holds up longer than getting it out of their driveway.
Like I said before, get your Mazda back (maybe they detailed it already for resale ) and drive away. It's not worth losing sleep over.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I would consult with a lawyer.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the dealer would come out ahead by putting you back in your car and selling the 996 as is. By the time the dealer puts a new or used enigine in the car they will be in the 996 way to deep.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ With that logic, if you can get the Nissan dealer to put a new Porsche reman engine in it, then you are going to be way ahead?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maniac28
Here is a preview. 73,000 miles, driven 6,500 miles per year by an old man in a dry desert climate. Always garaged.

It's a black coupe. Unmolested. It has all the nice stuff - limited slip diff, 18" wheels, black interior with full leather, premium audio, and it's a six speed. It's best option is the imploding engine option.
Hmmm, that's not necessarily "low" mileage. Sounds like a nice car.... well.. except for the exploding engine thing.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
mikey55
Intermediate

I'd try for a new engine and not getting the Miata back. Kansas has an implied 30 warranty when purchasing a car from a dealer. Once, a long time ago, I bought an used car, 1984 Chrysler LeBaron, and two days after I got it, a piston developed a hole in the top and the dealer, with prodding from the attorney, fixed it.

I would get a lawyer. You already made one error, don't make anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My long, sad 996 story - must read :)