Double DIN nav radio installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts
Default Double DIN nav radio installed

I'm generally not a fan of aftermarket stereos in Porsches. They often look a bit out of place, or look cheesy. What I realized though, is that at nearly 10 years old, the C4S was badly out of date when it comes to electronic technology. This isn't a show car... it isn't a collector car... it's a daily driver. I decided to take the plunge and upgrade the electronics.

I had a Kenwood DNX-6960 head unit installed, and I upgraded the speakers and amp with products from Focal. I chose the Kenwood unit because it has Garmin navigation with real time traffic updates through NavTeq. It also offers bluetooth integration with my phone, iPod connectivity and Sirius satellite radio. It has voice dialing and phonebook control for the phone connection, but not for the control of the navigation system. I didn't opt for the back up camera - I don't really see the need for that. Kenwood's top of the line unit is the DNX-9960. I considered it, but I didn't like it because it has buttons instead of a **** for volume control, and it has a motorized face - which I don't like.

I found an excellent installer in the Denver area who specializes in high-end cars. They strive to make the installation look like a factory system as best they can. I'm pleased with the outcome. The antennae for the GPS and for Sirius satellite radio were installed on the front bumper, underneath the bumper cover. They are totally concealed. The new amp was installed in the frunk where the CD changer was. The Bose sub-woofers were removed, and the new unit put into the factory location. New OEM carpeting was used in the back after the new sub went in. The new sub is a single 10", as opposed to the two 6" units in the Bose box. The microphone for the telephone was installed in the factory location.

One of my favorite parts is the custom iPod/iPhone dock that was built for this installation. You'll see the slot for it in the dash, under the head unit. I took one photo of it with the iPod in, and one with the iPod out. The iPhone locks into the slot, almost totally flush with the dash. It connects the iPhone to the head unit. The lined it with felt, so it won't scratch the phone. It's spring loaded, so it pops out when you push it.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the sound, the electronics and the installation. The C4S feels like a new car again!
Attached Images      
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, it wasn't cheap. The head unit that I chose can be purchased on www.crutchfield.com for $799.99. Speakers and amps are available in a HUGE range of prices - it all depends on what you're looking for. The installation labor was about $600 in my case, but I believe it was well worth it.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
EricD
Intermediate

I really like the iPod / iPhone dock, takes everything out of the way. Looks like a clean install.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Are there any nav head units out there that will interface with the fiber optic bose systems?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've heard of it being done - I think that the head unit and amps need to be replaced, but the Bose system can stay in place. I'm not entirely sure about that, but I think it's right.

My car is a 2002, so I didn't have the MOST system to worry about. Even so, I decided to replace the Bose speakers. I figured that if I'm going to to an upgrade, I might as well do it right.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm just cheap. I like the system just fine except the damn CD changer doesn't want to work right and the in-dash CD won't eject properly. It's not like I ever take the nav CD out but it still bothers the crap out of me. I would also love ipod hookup but it's all so dang expensive. I gotta save money for all the tires I burn up autocrossing!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
call911s
Rennlist Member

If you are replacing the headunit in MOST system, the amp and headunit need to be replaced. That's the fiber connection. After the amp, it's standard. I just replaced mine as well - both headunit and amp. The Bose speakers, though not audiophile quality, actually put out decent sound once you upgrade the other components.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I actually wasn't all that unhappy with the sound quality of the OEM Bose system. I just wanted better iPod connectivity, I really wanted a bluetooth phone connection and now that we live in the mountains, Sirius is a "must have" feature. The new system does sound significantly better than the OEM system, but there's so much noise in a 911 that you can't enjoy it the way you can in a quiet car. It was really the combination of features that did it for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Dennis

The install looks really good. Did they have to fabricate the surround for the display? If so they did a great job, it looks factory to me.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks Fergus. They fabricated the surround, as well as the boxes for all the speakers and the mount for the amp. They recovered the luggage area inside the frunk as well.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good to me. Clean looking
Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 AM
papachili
Advanced

Very cool install!...The iphone dock is exactly what ive beem looking for...i suppose they fabricated the iphone dock as well? Is it charging in the dock?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yes, the iPod dock was custom fabricated. It connects the iPod to the head unit and charges it as well. This particular head unit duplicates the iPod controls on the screen, so there's no need to use the iPod itself to control music or phone.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
palace1913
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm generally not a fan of aftermarket stereos in Porsches. They often look a bit out of place, or look cheesy. What I realized though, is that at nearly 10 years old, the C4S was badly out of date when it comes to electronic technology. This isn't a show car... it isn't a collector car... it's a daily driver. I decided to take the plunge and upgrade the electronics.

I had a Kenwood DNX-6960 head unit installed, and I upgraded the speakers and amp with products from Focal. I chose the Kenwood unit because it has Garmin navigation with real time traffic updates through NavTeq. It also offers bluetooth integration with my phone, iPod connectivity and Sirius satellite radio. It has voice dialing and phonebook control for the phone connection, but not for the control of the navigation system. I didn't opt for the back up camera - I don't really see the need for that. Kenwood's top of the line unit is the DNX-9960. I considered it, but I didn't like it because it has buttons instead of a **** for volume control, and it has a motorized face - which I don't like.

I found an excellent installer in the Denver area who specializes in high-end cars. They strive to make the installation look like a factory system as best they can. I'm pleased with the outcome. The antennae for the GPS and for Sirius satellite radio were installed on the front bumper, underneath the bumper cover. They are totally concealed. The new amp was installed in the frunk where the CD changer was. The Bose sub-woofers were removed, and the new unit put into the factory location. New OEM carpeting was used in the back after the new sub went in. The new sub is a single 10", as opposed to the two 6" units in the Bose box. The microphone for the telephone was installed in the factory location.

One of my favorite parts is the custom iPod/iPhone dock that was built for this installation. You'll see the slot for it in the dash, under the head unit. I took one photo of it with the iPod in, and one with the iPod out. The iPhone locks into the slot, almost totally flush with the dash. It connects the iPhone to the head unit. The lined it with felt, so it won't scratch the phone. It's spring loaded, so it pops out when you push it.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the sound, the electronics and the installation. The C4S feels like a new car again!
Awesome..absolutely cool!

Quick Reply: Double DIN nav radio installed