Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you deal with the front license plate issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

cop let me slide,the car was in a show the prior weekend,and told him i hadnt had the chance to put it back on again,also helps that the car was just detailed and looked the part.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
I think you missed the "Officer, I have my plate right here but I'm waiting for the paint to dry" part of my post. I won't tell the cop "I'm refusing to ruin the bumper". They won't force me to drill my bumper, or display a front plate. If the cop doesn't buy my story, I'll just take the ticket and pay.
I understand...I'm just saying that the cop is going to decide whether to cite you based on his mood that day, not based on how good of an excuse you can come up with. They've heard them all.

Just curious about the job/ticket thing. What if you get a parking ticket?
My job absolutely requires me to be able to drive and I've already gotten two moving violations this year, which causes me to be put on the "habitual offender" list. Last time I got a no front plate ticket it was listed as "improper documentation" or something silly like that and my insurance actually went up because of it. Parking tickets don't count...
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
achtung911
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 17 Posts

i say screw it lol i dont have a front plate on my car and washington and oregon both require them. as long as i dont park on the street i havent had a problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drive thru Fife, my gf got popped speeding 5 over in a 35 in her Miata and was told she would be ticketed for no plate next time.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UPDATE

My appeal was denied.

"According to our records, you were cited for failure to display a front or rear tag when two tags were issued by your licensing authority."

I got the ticket when the car was registered in VA with VA plates.

Since I got this ticket I moved/registered the car in DC and have DC tags.

If I don't pay the $50, could they track me down?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
My appeal was denied.

"According to our records, you were cited for failure to display a front or rear tag when two tags were issued by your licensing authority."

I got the ticket when the car was registered in VA with VA plates.

Since I got this ticket I moved/registered the car in DC and have DC tags.

If I don't pay the $50, could they track me down?
You know what they say...wanna play, gotta pay.

If you're in a state that requires front plate, you gotta be prepared to pay if you get caught without one. Simple as that.

Everytime I got pulled over for speeding, I was also fully expecting no front plate and window tint violations as well.

Just pay it and be done. If it bothers you, put on that front plate.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

dude... pay the $50

If your car ever gets towed for some reason, they wont release you car till all fines are paid (with commission of course). If you get pulled over for speeding... having that flag next to your name wont help you at all.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a hold of ROLF STUMBERGER at stumberger_r@msn.com He sells a tow hook plate bracket for $39.50 and that includes shipping. Great product and a fair price.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
maybe it flew off when I was going 160 mph yesterday
in a school zone, while texting my domestic partner that I just flipped the bird to a disabled vet who was trying to cross the road in a wheelchair.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 PM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SUNCOAST SELLS THE FRONT TOW HOOK PLATE MOUNT.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 AM
cpepper95129
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two cars, my 996 and an Acura TL. I've never ever had plates on the front of either, and have never been cited. Even when pulled over for other things. Just don't do it, and when you get pulled over, you were just driving home from the body shop and will be putting it on at home.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to park on the street in front of the restaurant where I was meeting my wife and some friends. To my dismay, the parking meter didn't work: money went in, but no time went on. I was aready late, so I went inside. When we came out later, I had two tickets, one for the meter and one for no front plate. The meter maid was still a few cars away, causing someone else some heartache. To my wife's horror, I chased down the meter maid and started to argue with her. She wasn't the brightest bulb, and I had trouble getting through that the meter didn't work. I finally got her to tear up the meter violation by admitting that I did not now or ever have a front plate on my car. I paid that one, and consider it a luxury tax. I ordered this:
http://www.rennline.com/Screw-in-Lic...info/E107.108/
from Rennline, but unfortunately I found that the screw hole for the front tow hook is slightly off center with the bumper hole, and it takes some work to get it on and off. My plan was to just screw it in when I have to park on the street, but it's a bit too hard to do. Any suggestions or other products? Experience with tow hook hole being off-center?
q
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

There are plenty of retractable plate holders on the market but our cars are pretty low as is so not sure about scraping issues.

I know I probably paid the city for most of the tulips down my street from the tickets I've gotten so far.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some local guys are running with color vinyl scans of their front plates here in Wa. st. They have them made at a sign company about 3/4 size and adhere neatly to the front of the car following the contours of the front bumper.

No problems....yet!

'93rsa 3.8
Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by sturm
Some local guys are running with color vinyl scans of their front plates here in Wa. st. They have them made at a sign company about 3/4 size and adhere neatly to the front of the car following the contours of the front bumper.

No problems....yet!

'93rsa 3.8
That would never fly in my state as they use the reflective surface of the front plate for laser speed detection and hence revenue generation. You know how fat and corrupt Chicago is...

Quick Reply: How do you deal with the front license plate issue?