Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you deal with the front license plate issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:57 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the Skene Design bracket. Not cheap, about $50, but mounts nicely with no drilling, if you trust the double sided tape (I didn't) or drilling into the horizontal portion of the bumper.

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damm meter maid got me twice in nyc...cops dont bother me...
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sptschoice
damm meter maid got me twice in nyc...cops dont bother me...
That wasn't a meter maid in full leather with whips.

I've imagined dodging back and forth as a way to keep the laser operator from getting me. It would be funny and possibly cheaper than the speeding ticket changing lanes unlike they prefer.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:11 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Well, officer, I just had my front bumper resprayed and am waiting for the paint to cure. My plate is right here in the rear foot-well.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it. They will force me to drill the front bumper over my cold dead body. (Although I made them do it on the Cayenne. Who cares?)
They're not going to force you to drill holes in your car, they're just going to force you to display a front plate. Just saying that refusing to do it isn't going to get you very far if a cop chooses to cite you for it.

FWIW I never used to run a front plate at all but cannot afford to get any more tickets of any kind because it would cause problems with my job. I use the tow hook option.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
After moving to Indiana I no longer had to worry about it. Same goes for Georgia.
I ran w/o a front plate in Chicago for 4 yrs, and I got tickets and paid them with a smile.

After moving to Indiana, I too no longer have to worry about it.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
They're not going to force you to drill holes in your car, they're just going to force you to display a front plate. Just saying that refusing to do it isn't going to get you very far if a cop chooses to cite you for it.

FWIW I never used to run a front plate at all but cannot afford to get any more tickets of any kind because it would cause problems with my job. I use the tow hook option.
I think you missed the "Officer, I have my plate right here but I'm waiting for the paint to dry" part of my post. I won't tell the cop "I'm refusing to ruin the bumper". They won't force me to drill my bumper, or display a front plate. If the cop doesn't buy my story, I'll just take the ticket and pay.

Just curious about the job/ticket thing. What if you get a parking ticket?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

If we park on City streets,meter or not we get ticked for no front tag. Mine mountd to the tow hook hole.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I ran 944s without front plates in NY for years. Got a ticket for it parked in NYC and got a ticket or two for it in speeding stops.

On the 996, because I didn't want to give the law any *extra* excuses to pull me over, I bought the official Porsche bracket from Suncoast. So at least it fits the best it will... and no extra holes were needed. But it's still ugly.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

da laws da law... DC they are ******
Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
cpepper95129
Advanced

I have no front plates on either my Arura TL or the 996. my Porsche is new so no idea how or if cops will react differently, but in the TL I go by cops all the time with no issue here in CA. I have to commute by a lot where the cops cars are stored and no one has ever blinked an eye.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

In my state, front plate is required but I've never ran it the last 20 years on most of my cars. I have received tickets either when I'm pulled over or parked on the streets. Fortunately I've been able to get out of most of these although it is a hassle.

For tickets issued when I was parked, I just temporarily put the plate on the car and took a pic of it and sent it in with no guilty plea. This has worked most of the time for me. YMMV

I'm always guaranteed at least 3 tickets if a cop pulls me over for speeding(speeding, tints, no front plate). I have always gotten 2 out of the 3 dismissed thus far.

I'm willing to put up with it and risk paying since I really despise front plates, especially on cars like this.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

One of the good things about living in Indiana is that they don't have front license plates. I liked that. Now that I live in Colorado where they are required, I use the kind that threads into the tow hook. The cops out on I-70 are pretty aggressive, and I believe they issue tickets to cars without front plates pretty regularly.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
One of the good things about living in Indiana is that they don't have front license plates. I liked that. Now that I live in Colorado where they are required, I use the kind that threads into the tow hook. The cops out on I-70 are pretty aggressive, and I believe they issue tickets to cars without front plates pretty regularly.
Wash that thing, will ya?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

Again? alright... I'll get on it...
Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 AM
larry47us
Pro

Illinois requires front plates. I had a Lexus SC300, and never scarred the front bumper with a plate. Then one day, I was downtown having lunch with my daughter, and got TWO tickets in one afternoon. They waived one of them, but I still didn't put a plate on the front.

Certainly not putting a plate on my Turbo either. It seems that the suburban cops don't really care, and the city cops can't find enough things to keep them busy. They should be chasing gang bangers rather than us upstanding Porsche Drivers!!!!

larry

Quick Reply: How do you deal with the front license plate issue?