996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear Fog Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Countries like the good old USA, with cars driven on the Right Hand Side of the road, the rear fog light is on the drivers side, to help cars in back see the proper side to pass your car. Assuming a 2 lane roadway (2 lanes going the same direction), and your are driving in the proper lane (right lane).

On a single lane roadway, it helps to identify the center line for the cars behind.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Yup as the Land Rovers and Jaguars have 2 which is annoying as hell. What's even more annoying is the dumb Americans that don't know how to properly or know when to use them and leave them on all the time tying up traffic in already congested interstates. -[ Rant off..]
Along with their front fogs as well....all day, all night, and they don't have a clue.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
I'm in the Uk and lots of cars here have two, I think its mainly a German thing.
MINI Cooper S has 2, so is that a German thing or a German-Trying-To-Masquerade-As-A-Brit thing?
The following users liked this post:
The Mick (02-01-2022)
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
MINI Cooper S has 2, so is that a German thing or a German-Trying-To-Masquerade-As-A-Brit thing?
An interesting note along the same lines is with the Oldsmobile Aurora. Anyone recall that car? Very strange as it is an American car and brand yet it came with dual rear fog lights. IIRC, it was marketed as a Chevy over in Europe but the least Old's could've done was to remove the rear fogs for the American market. They would've had to replace the rear bumper to accomodate the US license plate anyways so they should've just taken the extra step...oh well, the wonders of American car companies...
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
The BMW Mini are not built in Germany, there Built in the UK.

Funny Enough my first 3 series BMW only had one fog and that car was still built in Germany.

but then my 5 Series had two and I don't think that one was built in Germany.

So I do think its a German thing not a Europe thing.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Along with their front fogs as well....all day, all night, and they don't have a clue.
In the country I sometimes turn on my fog lights to use as driving lights to illuminate the sides of the road. Personally, I've never found any front fog lights to do the slightest thing to help me see or be seen in the fog. Mostly I leave them off, though.

Originally Posted by alpine003
An interesting note along the same lines is with the Oldsmobile Aurora. Anyone recall that car? Very strange as it is an American car and brand yet it came with dual rear fog lights. IIRC, it was marketed as a Chevy over in Europe but the least Old's could've done was to remove the rear fogs for the American market. They would've had to replace the rear bumper to accomodate the US license plate anyways so they should've just taken the extra step...oh well, the wonders of American car companies...
Yes, the Olds Aurora is one of the worst offenders. I'd be willing to bet that most of these owners have no idea that there's even such a thing as a rear fog light, much less two of them on their car, much less how to turn them off.

Quick Reply: Rear Fog Light Question