Sponsored by:

C2 WITHOUT PSM in the Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default C2 WITHOUT PSM in the Snow?

I have read around and can't find if anyone with this setup is doing it.

Or they have killed themselves in a horrible snowball crash and can't post.

With Snow Tires is it doable or being done?

Ok, fire away
Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Regardless of if you get to where you are going, it will be fun. Up until you hit something.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

No PSM here, and I drive it all winter on snow tires. Contrary to what you might think, you really have to be an idiot to get the car sideways and not be able to collect it back up again. It's great in the snow. Invest in the tires and enjoy yourself.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

No issues getting started from a stop etc.?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Nope. The sole limiting factor is ground clearance. I leave it at home if the snow or slush is really deep. You may find yourself replacing the occasional brake duct. Chump change.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

My limiting factor is salt. Bad for people - bad for cars! FYI: My PSM is my right foot.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
My limiting factor is salt.
I know, it's disgusting. But my '00 has been winter driven in Toronto by all of its owners since new. Last week, when I had my indie do a PPI-style inspection for me, the body came back absolutely clean and rust free. This despite the fact that it's parked underground, which is supposed to accelerate corrosion.

Porsche really got this right. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless you think your car is going to be a collectible.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Anyone have pictures

Bruce, no it will not be a collectible. But my wife has been insisting it be a C4. And they are not that easy to find. At a decent price
Old 10-25-2010, 03:50 PM
BruceP
Drifting

I don't have a picture of mine in the snow, but there are lots here who have some great ones.

I do have a picture of it dripping filthy slush in the parking lot after driving to work. I don't post this, however, out of respect for the board's policy on images of violence.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless you think your car is going to be a collectible.
Now that's funny right there Bruce!

No, I just hate the stuff they use around here and as my car came from Vegas and it's underside is a clean as the day it came out of Nevada - I don't want to spoil it. The other thing is ground clearance and the freaking winter potholes we get and the fact I already have a front wheel drive 'beater' for the winter along with the Mazda 5 to use and have no reason to drive the P car past mid Nov.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Colorado, the state seems to like to use a combination of gravel and magnesium chloride. The mag choride is supposed to keep the water and slush from freezing, but this doesn't work. It actually serves to make the road greasy and corrodes your brake lines. The gravel is a rather efficient means to remove any of that unwanted paint on your car.

I'd bet ground clearance will be more of an issue than anything else in the 911.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

You can email it to me with the black bars across its headlights to protect its identity
Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

SB, you also forgot they use the gravel so as to keep the windshield companies in business
Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Now that's funny right there Bruce!

No, I just hate the stuff they use around here and as my car came from Vegas and it's underside is a clean as the day it came out of Nevada - I don't want to spoil it. The other thing is ground clearance and the freaking winter potholes we get and the fact I already have a front wheel drive 'beater' for the winter along with the Mazda 5 to use and have no reason to drive the P car past mid Nov.
I get that. I was the same way with my previous car because I'd owned it since new.

For some reason, I suddenly kind of fell into the "everyday sports car" culture of Porsche. It was even easier because mine had led a bit of a hard life when I bought it, so I wasn't as tempted to preserve it. For me, it's ended up being a fun way to own one. But I will confess this: Every couple of years I pay my indie to remove all the panels and fasteners under the car and steam clean the whole undercarriage.

To the OP, one thing I forgot: my broken-record warning to keep the rads clean. My car's previous owners didn't do that, and although the body is great, the crap that collected around the rads soaked up brine from the road and held it there. The result was a pair of brand new radiators last year.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Last winter in the White Mtns.

Name:  Media CardBlackBerrypicturesIMG00247.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  189.1 KB

This is the worst my Porsche has looked, covered with salt,sand,dirt....but driving it in the winter to ski was icing on the cake.

Quick Reply: C2 WITHOUT PSM in the Snow?