Sponsored by:

C2 WITHOUT PSM in the Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh the Horror!

But it is fun to see the looks on peoples faces when you do something so unexpected in your PCar.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove in wet new snow from my home to the Mtn that morning, heavy snow the whole way...never had an issue with the conditions.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do have a heavy flat 6 over the drive wheels - much more stable in the wet stuff compared to most other rear wheel drive cars, PSM or no.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I've driven mine in the winter for the past couple of years. The PSM really only kicks in when you push it too hard. During regular driving situations, it isn't an issue.

FWIW, it was snowing this morning in Evergreen when I drove down the hill to DIA. Nothing too serious, but it was snowing. I'm a bit concerned about deep snow this winter, but we'll see how it goes.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I get that. I was the same way with my previous car because I'd owned it since new.

For some reason, I suddenly kind of fell into the "everyday sports car" culture of Porsche. It was even easier because mine had led a bit of a hard life when I bought it, so I wasn't as tempted to preserve it. For me, it's ended up being a fun way to own one. But I will confess this: Every couple of years I pay my indie to remove all the panels and fasteners under the car and steam clean the whole undercarriage.

To the OP, one thing I forgot: my broken-record warning to keep the rads clean. My car's previous owners didn't do that, and although the body is great, the crap that collected around the rads soaked up brine from the road and held it there. The result was a pair of brand new radiators last year.
+1
agree- I just cleaned mine. It had a mountain of leaves and dirt packed in between the rads.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you'll be fine without psm, but if you're out there buying a car today, why not just spring for the psm? the main reason i wish i had it is because I'd feel more comfortable letting other people drive it in weather.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by htny
you'll be fine without psm, but if you're out there buying a car today, why not just spring for the psm? the main reason i wish i had it is because I'd feel more comfortable letting other people drive it in weather.
What? You let other people drive it?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

HT

You would be surprised how many DO NOT have PSM. A majority if the CAB's out there are without PSM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
I have read around and can't find if anyone with this setup is doing it.

Or they have killed themselves in a horrible snowball crash and can't post.

With Snow Tires is it doable or being done?

Ok, fire away
That all depends on your age, mental age, and wintertime, adverse condition, driving experience.

Slow and easy wins the day, something adverse to most Porsche 911 owners.

There is also the question of the "other" driver...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just watch out for cambers, turns over crests and downhill braking. As long as you're accelerating, you're fine, but if the tail gets unsettled and you have to slow down it's big trouble.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Just watch out for cambers, turns over crests and downhill braking. As long as you're accelerating, you're fine, but if the tail gets unsettled and you have to slow down it's big trouble.
That hasn't really been my experience. In fact, I never really understood the passive rear-steer properties of the Weissach axle until I got it onto a slippery surface. It was a lot better than I was afraid it was going to be (although I absolutely avoid braking in turns, it's true). On slippery stuff, the car never gets enough lateral Gs to unsettle the back end. I think you really have to lack finesse to get the car into a serious pickle. My .02.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure with studded tires no PSM is not a problem in the winter. I have studless winter tires under my C2 and on icy road the car can be a challenge to handle. 996 C2 does not spin as easily as one might think but you have to be gentle with the throttle.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VGM911
What? You let other people drive it?
haha nope, don't have PSM

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
HT

You would be surprised how many DO NOT have PSM. A majority if the CAB's out there are without PSM.
ah pardon my inattention, i missed the cab bit Tim, but i guess that's not all that strange, heck my 02 coupe has a rear wiper but no PSM.

my point was only that it wouldn't cost extra in a used car, and there are a lot of 996 c2 cabs in the world. Plus you mentioned something about your wife driving it (which is why I highlighted the "other people driving" bit, I would just feel more comfortable knowing a poor throttle or brake input in the wrong gear in the cold in the wet would get shut down without requiring me to be in the passenger seat yelling about it). PSM can't raise the limits of traction, it simply tries to prevent the driver from overcoming the limits. So if whomever it is that will be driving is well educated on driving rwd in the snow, judicious in their inputs, and properly equipped with some skinny snow tires, you won't get any use from PSM.

Originally Posted by wwest
...Slow and easy wins the day...
this really is the key for me

- Hans
Old 10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I have PSM on my '99 C4 and it rarely even activates. Honestly, I don't know that the AWD makes it any better of a winter vehicle than the C2, which is to say that either will work just fine until the snow gets too deep, at which point many vehicles don't work very well.

Remember, we all drove for decades before PSM even existed and survived just fine. Winter tires are an absolute must, though.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
That hasn't really been my experience. In fact, I never really understood the passive rear-steer properties of the Weissach axle until I got it onto a slippery surface. It was a lot better than I was afraid it was going to be (although I absolutely avoid braking in turns, it's true). On slippery stuff, the car never gets enough lateral Gs to unsettle the back end. I think you really have to lack finesse to get the car into a serious pickle. My .02.
On a slippery surface, there isn't enough body roll for the Weissach axle to toe in the rear suspension. On snow and ice, you're stuck with your static alignment.

Driving on very low friction surfaces in a rear engined Porsche does indeed require finesse.

Quick Reply: C2 WITHOUT PSM in the Snow?