996 Cabrio vs. Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 Cabrio vs. Coupe

Hi Guys -

I am looking into a 1999 - 2002 996 for use as my daily driver.

I have a couple questions that I didn't see answered in earlier threads:

1. [*]
  2. [*]

I appreciate your input! I've read the master post on buying a 996, but anything else you feel like adding would be very helpful.

Many Thanks -

Rob
Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a coupe because:

- interior is too noisy, it always feel like you have one window open...
- top material is degrading very fast, may be because of the opening mechanism
- coupe looks nicer, I love the rear window shape on the coupe
- on a 10 year old car, I don't want to worry about the cabrio mechanism
- I want to be able to go to the track and not worry about 'no-cabrio' rules
- the sunroof is really not bad at all on the coupe

But my previous car was a bmw z4, so I love convertible and I just had one before this car so it made it even easier for me. But I agree tons of 996 cars are cabrio, a lot less coupe and even less with manual gearbox.

i wanted the real 911 shape as my first 911, but I don't exclude a cabrio for my next one

I am sure they both are great choice, just make sure you are ready to live with it when you make them. For me interior noise and exterior shape were the deciding factor to get the coupe.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Rob,

It's a personal preference for whether the coupe or the cab works for you. But here are my opinions to your questions:

1. How do they stack up against coupes? I think unless you're really into tracking it a lot then they compare just fine. Sure they are a little less stiff and more noisy than the coupe but this is a Porsche so quiet is not one of the touted qualities of the car. Keep in mind in terms of the top, the 2002 car will have a glass rear window while the others won't. That will allow you to cut down on some of the noise and in theory take it through the car wash (more on that later). Ride quality in my experience is about the same in both but it depends on the suspension.

2. Why so many for sale? Probably because this car was one of the first that was friendly to non-sports car drivers. So many were purchased just to cruise around town.

3. Well yes and no. As I mentioned above if you have one with a plastic window I really would recommend against it. If it's one with a glass window you could but your top will probably take a beating. When I hand wash mine I only wash it if it is dirty. So you'll probably wear it out more by taking it through a car wash. But maybe someone else can add input here.

I know Phil mentioned the top degrading over time. I think the more the car is garaged the better. So if that's possible you should be okay with the top lasting quite some time.

One thing I really like about this car compared to my old 944 cabrio, is that there is no boot to bother with so putting the top up and down is fully automated and just requires hitting a button. Makes it real convenient!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cab with a hard top. If you are looking for a cab, look for one with the hard top option. I didn't want a cab, but otherwise right car right price and no regrets.

I would not take the cab to a car wash, I only hand wash mine, but it is not a DD.

With the hard top on I think a car wash is non issues. Just use touchless only car wash.

My top is 11 yrs old, with a plastic window and it looks new. (ok window has been replaced once) Its all about the care of the top.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Rob996
Pro

Hey Rob

I do not think there is a right or wrong answer between the two models. Its really is a personal choice of what type of model you prefer. My brother and i have have owned many different sports cars, he always buys convertibles, and i always buy coupes..Its the sqeeks and rattles of a convertible that bugs me most, and the fact its either too hot, too sunny, or too cold for the top down. FWIW...

The automatic carwash freaks me out for either model, as i don't feel right subjecting a Porsche to this type of crude punishment..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to drive both and then compare the noise, handling, appearance etc., then it's simple...make a choice based on your preferences. GL
Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a Small car. I can wash it and dry it in the time it would take me to go to and through a car wash.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I would just get both..... get one now, get the other later.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Do you walk to work, or take your lunch?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 PM
robrichtx
Instructor

Great Answers and Questions guys. I know this is a mundane topic, but I'm just gettin through it. I'm a car guy, but I'm also a sailboat guy, so unfortunately I have to split maintenance time between the two, and money too. So I never have enough of either....

The carwash is a touchless type, and the cars then generally get hand driied afterward. The paint on my current car still looks great after 5 years, so I'm assuming they do a good job.

The advice to drive both is great - I'm going to have to do that. My main bitch with convertibles is that the chassis never seems as stiff, and there always seem to be some rattles and sqeaks. I'm sure that's a lot less on a car of this caliber through, so I'll just go into it with an open mind. And I'll also remember how much I loved my crappy old VW rabbit convertible. Chick car - yeah, but it sure was a lot of fun when I was 18 and it was summer.

Any further advice will be greatly appreciated. And I'm keeping my old '77 air cooled Carerra - it sure would be neat to have one of each.

p.s. - wyovino - having spent 5 years on LI, I'm afraid to ask what you mean
Old 10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

It's just something my uncle used to say. I meant it as "there is no right or wrong choice, only personal preference." I have a cab. When I bought it I really would have preferred a coupe, as I love the distinctive lines. I've always thought that convertibles were one of those things where the idea was better than the reality. Having had the car throughout this past summer, I can tell you that I absolutely love driving with the top down. I currently have the hardtop on and can't wait until the spring.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally went looking for a coupe but found a cabrio that I liked and bought it instead. Having had it all summer I am extremely glad I bought the cabrio. I love it. If I were to buy another, I would definitely look for another cabrio.

I have a hard top for mine as well, which I will put on soon for the winter, but I will tell you now that I will be itching to take it off as soon as possible in the spring.

The only car I take through the car wash is my company car. Never took the BMW or Jag through one and the Porsche won't either.
The following users liked this post:
husk (02-18-2023)
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Get a cab with a hard top,I did !
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had my cab for over 4 years now driving it year round. The vast majority of the time with the top down. A few thoughts on cab ownership:

1) yes, the chassis is less stiff than a coupe but it's still stiffer than just about anything else you've ever owned. If your primary concerns really are stiffness, quietness and ride quality, you probably don't want a 996 at all, let alone a cab.

2)the hardtop is a waste of money and space. If you put one on for the winter you'll miss out on all those 50F days in January when top down driving is a welcome treat. The 996 soft top is well insulated and not unpleasant at very cold temps (0F). There's also a lot to be said for driving with the top down when it's 40F. Turn on the seat heater and the floor vents and it's surprisingly toasty and exhilarating.

3)I take my cab through a touchless carwash in the winter to rinse off the salt when it's too cold to wash it myself(less than 35F). I use the cheapest setting because then I don't want any waxes or sealants to affect the top or seal dirt against the paint. The only downside to this is that the high pressure rinse want to blow water in under the window seals. It's not a lot of water and I bring a big towel to catch the water before it hits the seats and clean the doorjambs, etc. when I'm done. It's not a perfect system but I love driving my 911 and leaving it in the garage for 1/3 of it's life would be a crime. If you "don't want to hand wash the 996" you really should just get a BMW or some other piece of crap. You're just not worthy! I kid, I kid.

4) If you have a real interest in tracking the car you should probably get a coupe. I know this is blasphemy but I question the utility of the coupe for anything other than the track. You can't come close to realizing the car's potential on the street and there isn't much room for anything but you and a few bags.

5) I know plenty of people will disagree but, I don't really enjoy the 996 as a DD. I tend to get a little tired of the 996 when I drive it everyday. Commuting in a 6spd with a loud exhaust, stiff suspension and a poor quality stereo isn't for everyone and the older you get, I suspect, the less it appeals to you. I'm really lucky that I get to split time between the S8 and the 911. Both are great cars in their own right but very, very different. After a week in the Audi, driving the 996 is like falling in love all over again. The opposite is true as well. The Audi is remarkably refined and has a plethora of gadgets the Porsche lacks.

In the end, you really have to drive them both and consider which issues are most significant for you. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
It's a Small car. I can wash it and dry it in the time it would take me to go to and through a car wash.
Maybe, but can you find the hose and the towels and the tire goop and everything else and get them put away (towels washed, too) during that amount of time?

Quick Reply: 996 Cabrio vs. Coupe