996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LWF - How can i tell if I have one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 PM
tcleaver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LWF - How can i tell if I have one?

Just got a '99 996. Great condition but i do not have the history of the car for the past few years. The previous owner added a GT3 spoiler kit and some pretty expensive racing seats so an LWF would have made sense. I'm finding the clutch to be very stiff and there is also a lot of rattle. I know that Porsche's in general are not supposed to sound like sewing machines but I want to make sure it is normal and not the sign of impending clutch failure. I've also stalled a few times going over speed bumps and starting off and this is extremely rare for me but it sounds like this is a possible problem with a LWF. Other than dropping the transmission is there any way to tell?
If it turns out the car does have a LWF would it make sense, as a daily driver only, to replace it with the stock clutch kit. I live in the Cayman Islands and so spend a lot of time in traffic and even when I have a nice open road most trips are less than 10 miles.
Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

drop the tranny and look.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From your description yes it seems that you do. If you do, I would not want that to deal with in traffic at all.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup... should sound like a cement mixer underneath ya...... Yes the LWFW will take more throttle to get going as the revs drop quickly.....

The performance is worth the "adjustment"... IMHO

Quick Reply: LWF - How can i tell if I have one?