996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does octane booster 'go bad'?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does octane booster 'go bad'?

Heading to the local track tomorrow to do some hot laps. The highest non-ethanol octane we can get up here is 91.

A couple years ago, a friend gave me a bottle of Lucas Oil Octane booster. I was thinking of using it for the track to see if it gives me any more power.

1) Does Octane Booster “go bad”?
2) Is it safe to put in the Porsche?
3) The bottle says it will treat up to 25 gallons (94 liters). Can I just dump the bottle in my 60 liter tank without issue, or does it have to be measured out?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't use that crap. Brand new it was crap.

Just enjoy the 91 octane. Someone joked in a forum that because of knock control and the like, the 996 could run on rhino ****. But I think octance booster (of any kind) is worse than rhino ****.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't risk it, and I don't think there's much upside. Our pump 91 is equivalent to what Porsche recommends (the manual uses RON, I think), which probably means that the ECU settings (unless you're flashed) won't give you any more past that octane level no matter how high the rating is.

Trackies around here with unmodified engines usually run Shell's V-Power. No ethanol.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You will be fine with 91 non enthanol. The track may, as many do, sell higher quality and higher octane gas.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

... in addition to which, the most notable improvement will come from simply driving the car hard for awhile before you do any timed laps. My own observation has been that the adaptive ECU in this car is super sensitive and responsive and has a lot of latitude. I have experienced more butt dyno gains from a long hard drive after a week in city traffic than I did from flashing my ECU. Truth.

91 and give 'er.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I wouldn't risk it, and I don't think there's much upside. Our pump 91 is equivalent to what Porsche recommends (the manual uses RON, I think), which probably means that the ECU settings (unless you're flashed) won't give you any more past that octane level no matter how high the rating is.

Trackies around here with unmodified engines usually run Shell's V-Power. No ethanol.
I think the fuel door says that 95 RON is actually 93 octane. Shell V power 93 is all I use. Seems to work well.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy sent me this link...
http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane...ers_lucas.html

One bottle of Lucas Oil octane booster increased 10 gallons of gas from 93 to 96.6.

Sounds promising... but until I can confirm it doesn't go bad... it's not going in the tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does octane booster 'go bad'?