Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

PM sent! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so now it has come to light what has been in the back of my head. My new to me '01 996 had an RMS leak in the maintenance history that was fixed by the dealer at 20k miles in 2006. When I purchased the car a few months ago it seemed that a small leak was a known gremlin and that by itself isn't that concerning... but the logic of the RMS/Flywheel seal alignment issue being a parallel issue to the IMS alignment makes some sense as to why some cars might be snakebit.

My question is this...

How many owners with IMSB failure ALSO had issues with RMS (Flywheel) leaking?

I am no machinist but I would imagine that production is done with certain tolerances that will need recalibration as production ensues. Maybe the acceptable tolerances were too wide and the engines fabricated outside of the ideal might have been doomed to fail?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:42 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
But thats not all.... I haven't even started discussing the impacts of issues that exist between the distances of IMS housing bores in relationship to crankshaft centerlines.

This is a huge deal, and has been overlooked by everyone else. I have develooed a tool to measure this when doing retrofit procedures. if these distances are too great, or not great enough, the load that the IMSB sees from the chain, tensioner is greater.
In order to properly measure these data points with your tool accurately, do you have to have the engine opened up?

I would call your input above as akin to a paradigm shift in thinking, in the ongoing IMSB failure saga.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
In order to properly measure these data points with your tool accurately, do you have to have the engine opened up?

I would call your input above as akin to a paradigm shift in thinking, in the ongoing IMSB failure saga.
I have one tool set that is used during an ins retrofit with the engine assembled. I have another that's used during engine measurement of an engine that's fully disassembled.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:37 AM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you, Jake!
I would assume then that the internal measurement would be more accurate than the external measurement by a few thousands (or mms) and as such used to confirm the latter.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
Thank you, Jake!
I would assume then that the internal measurement would be more accurate than the external measurement by a few thousands (or mms) and as such used to confirm the latter.
Not really.. It just allows two more checks to be done. Honestly, these two dimensions are less critical.
The most important measurements are capable of being measured externally.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:50 PM
jld3601q
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS question

I was checking out a low mileage 2001 996. I asked about IMS replacement and dealer said that his mechanic inspected the clutch with a camera and there's no sign of leaking RMS, therefore the IMS is good. My BS meter pegged out, but wanted to check with more knowledgeable folks here--my understanding was there's no way to see the clutch or the IMS without dropping the transmission. Comments? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 AM
polarporsche.com
Banned

Default NEED A DUAL ROW IMS

ANYONE IN PHILA AREA HAVE IMS, IM OUT, AND SO IS SSF AND WORLD PAC........... WHAT IS GOING ON???? PRICE UP SUPPLY DOWN
Old 05-05-2015, 12:55 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An admittedly ignorant question, so I apologize in advance:

I bought an '03 C4S early this year, with just under 50,000 miles. Thanks to a friend/neighbor, who built a rather nice home on the money he's made over 20 years rebuilding Porsche mechanicals, I had at least a reasonably complete set of questions for the dealer.
Turns out, the engine was removed and repaired at Beverly Hills Porsche at 17,000 miles.

The questions:
1.Can I presume that the repair was for a failed IMS bearing? If so, I'm safe from that standpoint.
2.Any likelihood that an authorized Porsche dealership would retain the information---that is, how many IMS failures they'd identified and repaired, if only to report back to the Mother Ship in Germany?

I know: Near impossible to provide an actual answer.
I may just call Beverly Hills Porsche in California to answer #2.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

No you can't presume. Could have just been a leaking RMS replaced with the new and improved seal and no connection to the IMS.

And if it was the IMS and Jake's "out of spec" findings are correct just plugging in a new bearing doesn't fix the alignment issue that may be part of the cause for the early failure. Manufacturing variations and installation variations. Do they add up or cancel each other out?

There are engines with known multiple failures.

Will the dealership give you that info? Generally they don't like to but you might get a wink and a nod depending on how well you are known to spend money there.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:59 AM
doctrepp
Rennlist Member

i have read just about everything on the boards here and have also talked with Jake about my car - but i wanted to get a few other opinions on this thread (no offense to you jake, im just checking my boxes)

i recently bought a 2004 C4S cab with 12k miles on it...it wasnt driven much (obviously), but they were diligent with their upkeep.

I am debating between doing nothing, doing LN retrofit, or shipping my car to Jake and having the IMS solution put in...

was hoping for any advice from y'all
Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

With no history - meaning low miles - I would change it. But I was bit in the butt by the IMS so I am biased. Depends what your plans are with the car. If you plan to occ drive the car I would get the new IMS retrofit (single to double bearing thing). If it is going to be your daily driver and you plan on doing a lot of miles I would do the solution. I did a double row with a 70K mile service interval and I will have to do it again in a few years. The LN website has a list of certified installers if GA is not close to you.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by doctrepp
i have read just about everything on the boards here and have also talked with Jake about my car - but i wanted to get a few other opinions on this thread (no offense to you jake, im just checking my boxes)

i recently bought a 2004 C4S cab with 12k miles on it...it wasnt driven much (obviously), but they were diligent with their upkeep.

I am debating between doing nothing, doing LN retrofit, or shipping my car to Jake and having the IMS solution put in...

No problem, just keep doing your homework.

You always have to consider the basis of "opinions" and the fact that the person who has them on these forums may know less about the topic than you do. Thats the problem so many times.

if people had as much life experience as they have opinions, we'd all be better off.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doctrepp

Another victim of failure ('03; at around 38K miles). Put in the Solution; I don't know whether you intent to keep it indefinitely (my plan), or are thinking in terms of re-sale. I don't think it matters. Put it in and then forget about it.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Narsisco Lopez
8th Gear

Hi All,

This is my very first post (but I'm a long-time forum frequenter/contributor on many other technical/motorcycle forums). Just purchased an '03 996 C4S with 19,729 miles and it's on a delivery vehicle as I write this. Being the tech-geek I am, I have been devouring EVERYTHING 996 I can get my virtual hands on, including the RMS/IMS issues surrounding the M96/97 engines. After reading this entire thread, I figured I'd share this very interesting video...

This one actually shows a DOF install without actually replacing the bearing (obviously, the bearing is in nominal condition), but just removing the seal to allow direct oil injection...

I apologize if these vids have been posted elsewhere on this forum, but I thought this would be an excellent place for them as new members like me search for all the info they can get on the IMS issue and its options for dealing with it long term.

Last edited by Narsisco Lopez; 05-15-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)