Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Catalytic convertor fitment question.. What fits a 2002 C4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 AM
smorris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic convertor fitment question.. What fits a 2002 C4?

Could anyone verify what other models and years Cats will fit a 2002 C4?
Looking for a direct bolt in replacement...

Or specifically would the following fit?

2004 GT3?
2007 997 Carrera S?

any help is appreciated, but need solid answers, no guessing!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 AM
smorris
Instructor

Can anyone help?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by smorris
Can anyone help?
Well you did specify solid answers, no guessing.

If you're desperate, I'm guessing converters from the same model of car, from the same model years as your car.

What I mean is that say there was a revision to the line in 2002 and this revision remained unchanged for say two more years until 2004. Thus the converters from any C4 from a car from this span of years would be a good starting point.

It would help to get the converters from a car that has or had the same transmssion type just in case the exhaust system has a different shape or routing or mounting arising from the different transmission.

If there is any chance of a direct bolt in replacement, other than of course just buying what you need from a Porsche dealership parts department (and using the car's VIN to ensure the right parts obtained), I'd say this is it.

As for the GT3 and the 4S models: When you go outside of the model of car you have to source converters from then you venture into even more uncertainity.

The GT3 has a different engine. So you're on your own.

As for the 4S, it has a wider body and might have a different exhaust system that would render the portion you want a poor fit.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 AM
smorris
Instructor

your right, I did say no guessing!

I do know that all convertors from a 3.6 whether C2 or C4 will fit... and as you say, the ones in model years 2002-2004 are a sure thing... I have been told that the ones from an earlier 3.4 will not fit exactly as they are a bit shorter than the newer ones...

I have scoured the parts diagrams of the other cars in question and though the cats do have diferent part numbers, the "look" to be quite similar!

Ughh! it is difficult sometimes being cheap!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 AM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Fabspeed 200-cell X-pipe for $1500. It's excellent quality.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by smorris
your right, I did say no guessing!

I do know that all convertors from a 3.6 whether C2 or C4 will fit... and as you say, the ones in model years 2002-2004 are a sure thing... I have been told that the ones from an earlier 3.4 will not fit exactly as they are a bit shorter than the newer ones...

I have scoured the parts diagrams of the other cars in question and though the cats do have diferent part numbers, the "look" to be quite similar!

Ughh! it is difficult sometimes being cheap!
Generally my experience has been the most expensive projects started out with me trying to do them on the cheap.

If you're going by looks you can't rely upon the parts drawings of anything I've ever seen to know anything more what is be portrayed is anything but an exhaust system.

The drawings are for basic location reference.

From what I"ve observed, when a tech needs a part he doesn't consult the parts drawings to try to match one off the shelf to what the drawing looks like.

Instead, he supplies a VIN to the parts counter person who looks up the part number. Now this person has in front of him a display, a drawing, maybe drawings, sometimes showing different views, that show the part along with adjacent and related parts and he'll select an item number. The part number that ties to the VIN is then displayed.

The part that matches this part number is then pulled from stock or ordered from one of the regional parts warehouses.

When the part is available, the tech is then given this part and that's that.

Different part numbers strongly suggest the parts are not interchangeable.

I believe -- but I'm sure there are exceptions -- in cases when parts are interchangeable they'll have the same part number as the part number for a newer or even another model.

My local Porsche parts counter people tell me the only way to ensure one's getting the right part for one's car is to supply a VIN and the parts counter person will look up the part number based on the car's VIN.

Now, he might be able to cross reference that part number and see what other model years, even different models it also matches up to and then you'd know what other cars have the same exhaust system and this opens up your options.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Catalytic convertor fitment question.. What fits a 2002 C4?