Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JACEK
Hi there, new member, I've had a 40th anniversary 911 for almost two years now, completely touble free just a lots of fun. Daily driver / daily use, wouldn't have it any other way. Production # 843.
Welcome to the club!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Nedster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 40th

Hello from The PCA Polar Region Recently i got my 40th as well #1373. It had about 45,000km (28,000miles). Car is absolutely immaculate, and you can tell by everywhere you look, especially the leather seats. I got it from a dealer here in Canada. I honestly was never too crazy about the 996, and was at the time looking for a 997, but this thing grabbed my attention and then i drove it 100km in this car feels like you are going 20! Getting onto the freeways from the on-ramp, a few times a glanced at the speedo to realize i was going 200km/h. Love everything about it! (well except ipod integration capability, but couldn't care less). Dealer replaced the RMS because they thought it was sweating a little (i thru in a new cluch at the same time, no labor cost, what the hell) tires were good on it but because they were not Porsche spec (N4) i got brand new P-Zeros for free out the deal, ofcourse the spark plugs, new oil and break fluid flush. Also the rear shocks were leaking so they are changing those for me for free in the spring and one key fob was dead, so they are getting me a new one. I got some pictures for you, mos of these are the ones from the dealer site, the damn snow here i can't even get it out of my garage to take a few nice pics.

Last edited by Nedster; 12-08-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Ned... great example. I have the same hardshell backs and love how it brings the GT silver color into the car.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Nedster
Racer

Thanks Lite, it's a nice touch for sure those seats, looks really sharp when you look at it from the back through the glass. It definitely has some features that completely sets it apart from a regular C2 that i wasn't even considering. The only thing i don't have i think is the NAV system.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

#891 is now Steve's MLC

ohhh yeaaaaa
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Congrats Nedster! She's a beauty. Anyone know where to get new Natural Gray Leather (Dark) Floor mats? I emailed Porsche several days ago but no response so far.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry Ned. I have the NAV... no great shakes if you go into anything built after 2004
Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree. I have nav and it's on on my phone and always up to date unlike built in units

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM
higgers
2nd Gear

I have #927 RHD in the UK.

I've had it for just over a year and it has 28k miles on the clock. I love it!

I do have a question. If anyone can help with the wheels I'd really appreciate it. There is what looks like corrosion building up in certain places (where the spoke meets the outer ring). Also there is what looks like a coating peeling on both the centre caps and around the centre cap area of the wheel. I want to get them repaired but am really worried about taking it somewhere there doesn't understand the finish. Does anyone know what I should be asking for? Does it sound like they've been coated since leaving the factory?

For the rest of the wheel the shine comes up fine.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Higgers - I have a 40th AE, too (#711) and love it. It's such a beautiful car, and the anniversary wheels play such an important part in its looks. When I got my car it had over 60K miles on it and the wheels had the same issues that you described, especially around the center caps. I spoke to countless wheel refinishers who wouldn't even try to deal with this finish. The folks at Wheel Enhancement, who I believe are experts in this area and are familiar with these wheels, said that the finish cannot be replicated aftermarket. There must have been something that BBS does in the original manufacturing that no one else knows about or how to accomplish. I tried having my wheels refinished by a company in Dallas who regularly handles shot-blasted/ball polished wheels for Ferrari and Maserati customers and dealers. They did a nice job on the repairs but the finish is noticeably more dull than the original. If you get real close and the light is right you can see the textured finish that the wheels originally had, but the powdercoating covers it to the point that they're just too dull for my liking. I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a set of new wheels from a US Porsche dealer. They're on the way from Germany as I write and I can't wait to get them on the car. I've posted below a few pictures of my wheels both before and after the refinishing (note that the before pictures have the original center caps and the after pictures have the new genuine Porsche center caps made for these wheels). I've also posted a picture of a brand new "still in the box" wheel at the Porsche dealer. Since you are in the UK you may want to try Jasmine - I contacted them myself and would have used them but for the fact that the shipping cost to the US was very expensive. Good luck with your wheels.
Attached Images      
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 AM
skicoach
Instructor

I've pm'ed you about the wheels you're replacing.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great car. Are they replacing the head only or whole key? Make sure you save the old one if they do. It should still open door and disable alarm even if dead. When I bought mine, it had a dead fob. Had RAC code a new one and I saved the old one. I was able to fix my bad key fob myself. It was a bad internal connection.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Nedster
Racer

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Great car. Are they replacing the head only or whole key? Make sure you save the old one if they do. It should still open door and disable alarm even if dead. When I bought mine, it had a dead fob. Had RAC code a new one and I saved the old one. I was able to fix my bad key fob myself. It was a bad internal connection.
I guess this question is for me? I am getting a new fob from the dealer, just the fob, the key part is inter changeable, you can put it on any fob you want. The dealer believed my old one that doesn't work just needed a reprogram, but said what the hell, i'll just get you a new one. My old one was completely dead. Couldn't open doors or anything. Couldn't tell ya exactly what is wrong wit it.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
higgers
2nd Gear

Thanks Taz, that's exactly what has happened to my wheels only mine are a lot further gone unfortunately.

To be fair they've done a good job of the re-coat but I can see what you mean, it's not quite the same as the original. Sounds like new wheels may be the only option. Are the ones you've ordered the 40th anniversary spec?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

higgers - "yes", the wheels that I ordered are the genuine Porsche anniversary wheels. The option package code is M417, and here are the part numbers: front 99636213607, rear 99636214007. In my earlier post I mentioned that you may want to contact Jasmine in the UK. They had one front wheel left in stock but could order the others from Germany. Here are pics of the front and back of the front wheel they had in stock. It's a thing of beauty.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ