996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ever replace the fuel tank vent valve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ever replace the fuel tank vent valve?

So, I'm still having this "blowing on the top of a coke bottle" sound coming from the front of my car. I've narrowed it down to either the fuel tank vent valve or the fuel vent line valve. I took a look at the tank vent valve and that little thing is packed in next to the top of the fuel pump (top of the tank) and the other one is somewhere behind the gas cap.

Has anyone on here attempted to replace either of these? this sound is driving me nuts..
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
wanabe911 owner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tech is replacing the fuel tank vent valve today but this valve is on the intake manifold near the alternator not near the fuel tank. I don't have the symptoms that you are. Trying to solve a running problems.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
So, I'm still having this "blowing on the top of a coke bottle" sound coming from the front of my car. I've narrowed it down to either the fuel tank vent valve or the fuel vent line valve. I took a look at the tank vent valve and that little thing is packed in next to the top of the fuel pump (top of the tank) and the other one is somewhere behind the gas cap.

Has anyone on here attempted to replace either of these? this sound is driving me nuts..
Is the front trunk lid leading edge *below* the front bumper cover, and evenly below the front bumper cover all the way across?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Is the front trunk lid leading edge *below* the front bumper cover, and evenly below the front bumper cover all the way across?

Sincerely,

Macster.
From the earlier description this is not related to the hood level as it is sensitive to throttle position. That is, as soon as the throttle position is changed, even slightly, the noise goes away. The fix on my Boxster many years ago was to replace the vent valve and at that time the p/n replaced was 996.201.231.01.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
kj217
Instructor

yesterday,, my tech replaced the vent valve right behind the fuel tank cap,,
i was suffering from rpm dramatic drops in hot heavy traffic,,
Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
From the earlier description this is not related to the hood level as it is sensitive to throttle position. That is, as soon as the throttle position is changed, even slightly, the noise goes away. The fix on my Boxster many years ago was to replace the vent valve and at that time the p/n replaced was 996.201.231.01.
Thanks. I had thought the front trunk lid issue had been eliminated in an earlier thread but didn't do a search to confirm this.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:48 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

Originally Posted by RPMulli

Did you ever figure out what the fix was? I think I am having the same problem with my 996TT.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Call me crazy but is it possible that one of the air scoops has picked something up causing the hooting sound? Hey it takes nothing to have a feel inside. There might be a dead rat in there and the intake air is blowing across its *** hole hehe.

Quick Reply: Ever replace the fuel tank vent valve?