Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy MY05 C4S - suggested price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ready to buy MY05 C4S - suggested price?

I'm considering a C4S with 14,000+ miles that's in Houston and the dealer is motivated to move the car due to the end of the month.

Both Sean (mavthenav) and Tom (himself) were kind enough to do a hands-on look-see at the car and no major negatives were found. The just completed PPI from Pro Technik uncovered a few issues - mostly minor.
  • Front Diff seal is leaking at drive shaft. It's wet, not dripping. ~$1,000 to fix. I plan to get an AM warranty, probably Fidelity as EasyCare just tripled in price, and can get this fixed at a later time.
  • Ignition switch hard to turn. A DIY fix.
  • The car came with PSE based on the original invoice - not present.
  • The front bumper has been repainted/replaced & 1 wheel well has minor repairs. No structural damage present.
  • Wheels need some work and 1 has small bend.
  • Number of rock chips. All DIY for me.
  • The interior needs a good cleaning but nothing too major for 5 YO car.
All input appreciated.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That's exciting. Glad you aren't afraid to help stimulate the economy. You can use the PPI items to help get a lower price, or obtain an additional warranty. Bummer about the PSE, as long as the Porsche wasn't in an accident I wouldn't be too worried about the repray. Anyone who owns a Porsche will know that is a very common issue with our 911s. Have the bent wheel fixed or replaced by seller. Good luck...any pics, color?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Pics are on the dealer website.

http://www.gillmansubaruhouston.com/...23e09620f0.htm

The dealer is willing to drop $2K to cover most of the cost of the AM warranty.

Sean & Tom took some pics but mainly to show what's wrong
Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

How comprehensive was the PPI?

What about detailed service records and history on the car?

Buying from a Subaru dealer would scare me a little. I find it hard to believe it was traded in on a Subie. Auction car I assume?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
I'm considering a C4S with 14,000+ miles that's in Houston and the dealer is motivated to move the car due to the end of the month.

Both Sean (mavthenav) and Tom (himself) were kind enough to do a hands-on look-see at the car and no major negatives were found. The just completed PPI from Pro Technik uncovered a few issues - mostly minor.
  • Front Diff seal is leaking at drive shaft. It's wet, not dripping. ~$1,000 to fix. I plan to get an AM warranty, probably Fidelity as EasyCare just tripled in price, and can get this fixed at a later time.
  • Ignition switch hard to turn. A DIY fix.
  • The front bumper has been repainted/replaced & 1 wheel well has minor repairs. No structural damage present.
  • Wheels need some work and 1 has small bend.
  • Number of rock chips. All DIY for me.
  • The interior needs a good cleaning but nothing too major for 5 YO car.
All input appreciated.
Anything a dealer/car seller tells you is intended to get you to buy the car as soon as possible and to pay as much for it as possible.

Dealers are always motivated to move cars as soon as possible. It is what they do to make money.

Have overrev counters been read?

That few miles that many problems I think car's been mistreated and possibly neglected.

If one wheel well has repairs car's likely been in acccident. Look at radiators to see if they're different colors, have a different patina from side to side.

If wheels scuffed car will need an alignment. Probably never had one at any rate.

Brake fluid change.

Coolant drain/refill.

Might as well have tranny/diff fluids replaced when front diff taken care of.

Plugs due to be replaced since they're over 4 years old.

Not saying car's not worth owning but don't overlook some significant things that need addressing to bring the car to reasonably good condition.

Right now it is in poor condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
How comprehensive was the PPI?

What about detailed service records and history on the car?

Buying from a Subaru dealer would scare me a little. I find it hard to believe it was traded in on a Subie. Auction car I assume?
The PPI was done by Pro Technik and they came highly recommended from the board.

The car was a trade, according to the dealer. They have the window sticker but not the records. According to my local Porsche service guy the car has only seen $240 or so of work at the dealer.

Originally Posted by Macster
Anything a dealer/car seller tells you is intended to get you to buy the car as soon as possible and to pay as much for it as possible.

Dealers are always motivated to move cars as soon as possible. It is what they do to make money.

That few miles that many problems I think car's been mistreated and possibly neglected.

If one wheel well has repairs car's likely been in acccident. Look at radiators to see if they're different colors, have a different patina from side to side.

If wheels scuffed car will need an alignment. Probably never had one at any rate.

Brake fluid change.

Coolant drain/refill.

Not saying car's not worth owning but don't overlook some significant things that need addressing to bring the car to reasonably good condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
The thought on the bumper and wheel well is that it was run into a low curb. No way to tell for sure but the PPI didn't turn up any visible frame work, radiator damage, or paint work other than the bumper.

The codes were read and no over-revs (either 1 or 2) were reported. Curb rash doesn't bother me too much but the bent rim is another thing.

Based on the above I don't think the car was abused, but maybe neglected a bit.

Overall, they rate the car a 9 out of 10 based on the age.

If I get it I'd plan on having the 15K service done and fluids changed after the drive from Houston to Indy.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I would try to roll this into the price reduction for the car, rather than try to get it fixed later. If for some reason it isn't covered (pre-existing, excluded, etc), you'll be out of pocket.

That explains why the exhaust looked way cleaner than the rest of the engine!
All input appreciated.
Originally Posted by Macster

Good question. If not, let me know and I will try to swing by with my 'puter.

Or pot holes, bad parking, curbing, etc. Did the PPI put the car on an alignment rig?

Yeah, what he said. I would go ahead and get the car aligned before you buy it, to be sure there's nothing wrong with the suspension bits. You can always pay for the alignment yourself (at a P-car dealer) so the dealer has no room to argue. If something is screw-bally, you are only out a few hundred, rather than 40 large.

Coolant drain/refill.
coolant was low.

Personally, I don't think "poor" condition is accurate. It might need a few touch-ups, but it is definitely not a junker. Address the known items and you should be good to go.
My comments above in red.

As for price, after checking Edmunds, autotrader and Porsche USA, this one seems to be below market at bit.

Good luck! And let me know if you make it to Houston soon grab your new ride

-td
Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

... front diff is leaking, huh? Thats a pretty detailed PPI.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by himself
My comments above in red.

As for price, after checking Edmunds, autotrader and Porsche USA, this one seems to be below market at bit.

Good luck! And let me know if you make it to Houston soon grab your new ride

-td
No over revs at all. Not even type 1's.

I spoke with Steve at Pro Technik and they don't normally do an alignment check as a rule. Based on the inspection and test drive they thought it was OK.

I just ran a carfax and this was a single-owner vehicle with no dealer indicated service records. Basically, all that showed up was periodic registration and emissions testing. It doesn't really seem that strange for a vehicle with <15K miles other than the fact that the dealership did see the car several times according to their records.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Pics are on the dealer website.

http://www.gillmansubaruhouston.com/...23e09620f0.htm

The dealer is willing to drop $2K to cover most of the cost of the AM warranty.

Sean & Tom took some pics but mainly to show what's wrong

Can you get all copies of work done by dealer? I think it's a pretty good deal, nice color, low miles...will the dealer also fix PPI items? GL
Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For that kind of money you should be able to find one with no paint work. Who know why the front was repainted. The inside looks very unclean for 14k miles, maybe the gray leather. I had 23k on my 2002 911 when I purchased it and it showed little signs of wear. But overall it looks very nice if you could get the price under 40k. There are a lot of 996 out there ready to be sold. I was ready to buy a 2002 with 8k miles and the front was repainted. The deal fell through and ended up getting a 2002 with 23k but in mint condition from a private owner. Best of luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't buy that car. And not anywhere close to that price.

As Macster said, seems very neglected. And I don't buy the trade-in story. Sounds like they are feeding you a line. If they did get it on trade, I shocked.

To much out there to not get the perfect car. I took my time to find the perfect Turbo and did. I passed on ANY car that didn't not have COMPLETE service records and all service done up to date.

That car has LOTS of service that should have been done and there is no record of it. Oh, wait, but there is a window sticker? then disregard everything said. She's a winner!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:37 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Chris996 - for nearly $45k the car should be pristine. If you are patient, I'm sure you'll find a car you love for less.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, you have to be patient and wait for the right car when buying a Porsche. They are all so unique.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
Personally, I wouldn't buy that car. And not anywhere close to that price.

As Macster said, seems very neglected. And I don't buy the trade-in story. Sounds like they are feeding you a line. If they did get it on trade, I shocked.

To much out there to not get the perfect car. I took my time to find the perfect Turbo and did. I passed on ANY car that didn't not have COMPLETE service records and all service done up to date.

That car has LOTS of service that should have been done and there is no record of it. Oh, wait, but there is a window sticker? then disregard everything said. She's a winner!
I spoke with the servicing dealers a bit ago (Momentum Porsche & North Houston Porsche) and the car has been serviced with oil changes at 11/05, 9/06, 3/08 and 10/08. The rear spoiler was fixed under warranty on 10/08 and an ignition key was replaced at that time as well. A rattle was fixed under warranty shortly after the car was put in service on 10/04.

The selling dealer just turned down an offer of $41,470.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy MY05 C4S - suggested price?