Need Help With Vacuum Lines/Wiring! -Tip vs. Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:14 PM
bxtech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help With Vacuum Lines/Wiring! -Tip vs. Manual Transmission

Hello all,

Currently working on an engine swap in a 2001 Carrera 4 with a manual transmission. The REPLACEMENT engine came from a car with a tiptronic transmission. One issue that I have a question on are the vacuum lines at the vacuum canister underneath the intake manifold.

-The engine that came out of the manual transmission car (The 2001 C4 -the car we are working on and keeping) has a 3 way vacuum line tee at the vacuum canister.

-The replacement engine that came out of the tiptronic car has a 4 way vacuum tee at the vacuum canister. The 4th vacuum "leg" goes to a Pierburg brand switch (with an electrical plug) and then another vacuum line comes off it and went all the way to the tail end of the tiptronic transmission. The electrical plug going to the Pierburg switch goes right into the engine wiring harness.

I am planning to just swap over the vacuum tees and lines, so that part is pretty simple.

My question is about the Pierburg vacuum switch and electrical plug. Should I just remove the switch and leave the plug unplugged? Will this cause any electrical or ECM problems once installed? I'd really hate to have to swap over the whole engine wiring harness.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I would imagine that someone out there has swapped over engines between a manual and tiptronic car before. Any advice and/or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM
bxtech
Instructor

Picture of the vacuum lines on the engine with the manual transmission with the 3 way tee:
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
bxtech
Instructor

Picture of the vacuum lines on the engine with the tiptronic transmission with the 4 way tee and Pierburg vacuum switch. Please take note of the electrical plug that goes into the engine wiring harness:
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah like on the pelican site your manual trans ECU isn't looking for the tiptronic sensors so no worry there. I only wonder how hard it would be to get the tiptronic switch out of the harness.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Vacuum Lines/Wiring! -Tip vs. Manual Transmission