just installed ebay headers...look

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitey||C4S
Sure. It’s easy to copy someone else's work.

Try this business model: take your own hard-earned money, design your own unique product, test it, manufacture it, market it, and sell it. Let me know when you become profitable, until then 'shut up and sit down', slick.
LOL, you mean Porsche's?

How about if you copy someones "hard work" and yours makes more power than theirs?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey thanks Lapro-I have been thinking about these "inexpensive" headers for a while. Just don't know too much about headers, welding, etc. If you say they are good, I'm buying some. I'm looking for more noise from the back end and not necessarily interested in more power (I rarely use the HP I have) BUT, I love the noise when I want it.

Anyone out there have a set sitting in the garage they want to get rid of?

PM me
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

How's this- I'll dyno a set vs. OEM when I do my track car next week.
Now everyone just Paypal me $9.99 and I'll email you each the results.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:14 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I can't speak for the NAs, but there has been some testing on aftermarket headers for turbos...what was found was the best gains for a reasonably modified TT was to port/polish the stock headers. The length of the stock headers was just about optimal, so cleaning them out for flow perhaps helped a bit. Now if you go to big hp, like 650+ different story. Many of the dynos are not publicized for aftermarket headers as they don't show any gains (and even show some losses)...not a great marketing tool. If you are really interested in the testing talk to some of the known tuners (like Kevin at UMW) for the real data....
Yeah this is always what I've been hoping to have time to do , just a little polishing, and would like to clean out the carbon deposits etc. while in there.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Try this business model: take your own hard-earned money, design your own unique product, test it, manufacture it, market it, and sell it. Let me know when you become profitable, until then 'shut up and sit down', slick.
I didn't see anything about laproscopic planning to copy anyone else's work. There's only so many ways you can make them without "copying" them.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, laproscopic. Like someone else said, it's always nice to see someone that's willing to get their hands a little dirty.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think capitalism is based solely on unique innovation, then you are mistaken.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Doesn't the vendor dyno their headers?
Dyno, in China, man...

Anyway, $85 is quite going rate for headers made in China. The labor costs there nothing. I mean the cost involved in fabricating those headers is less than $5, the rest is material, shipping and profit for the factory and seller. I quess when those leave PRC their price is about $40.
They sell over there 18" alloy wheel sets for $80. And fully upholstered bucketseats for $120/pair. And yes, I've been to China many times and during time off I've walked through some car parts markets.

If some vendor isn't clearly stating that their parts are made in D or USA, they've probably been made in PRC, and the profit is huge...

BTW, a good copy works like original, bending & welding metal tube not rocket science.

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
laproscopic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont understand the context of this response . Sir please take a momment to refocus so that you may better express your thoughts.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

@ Whitey......People steal each others' designs for a multitude of reasons. Welcome to capitolism.....and laproscopic isn't after that.

Keep us up to date on what you find lap.

I'm running a e-bay clone$500 of the GHL exhaust$1k on my Boxster, it was fine for 2 years(all my buddies have never had an issue with theirs). Developed a small crack,called the vendor,he sent a replacement promptly on his dime. Couldn't have asked for more. Even dynoed at all gains across the power band on my buds Boxster. Heck even Bilstein left my buddy hanging for months before they decided to refund him for his PSS9s,that's a $2k product from a well known source.

Money doesn't always=quality.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 PM
laproscopic
Track Day

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
@ Whitey......People steal each others' designs for a multitude of reasons. Welcome to capitolism.....and laproscopic isn't after that.

Keep us up to date on what you find lap.

I'm running a e-bay clone$500 of the GHL exhaust$1k on my Boxster, it was fine for 2 years(all my buddies have never had an issue with theirs). Developed a small crack,called the vendor,he sent a replacement promptly on his dime. Couldn't have asked for more. Even dynoed at all gains across the power band on my buds Boxster. Heck even Bilstein left my buddy hanging for months before they decided to refund him for his PSS9s,that's a $2k product from a well known source.

Money doesn't always=quality.
whats funny here is that you still had to pay $500 for the "clone" version. buy that part for most all other cars (domestic, import, etc) and the price is still too high

That said I still would rather have my porsche. she's just so fast and fun to drive. im willing to pay a bit more to have the porsche aftermarket stuff. But it takes some of the fun away when you know how much your spending for this stuff

thats why i love rockcrawling. with rockcrawling the parts are far from precise and there is no need for tight tollerances. easy to make in your backyard. here is my rock lexus

I tore apart a 1 ton dodge truck to put its axles under my lexus. now i wheel in style with wood accents, climate control, and a sunroof. my jeeping buddies dont know what to think of my truck. and my Dr buddies just shake their heads when i park her at the hospital. sometimes i want to park her on a mercedes

Say... my porsche is all wheel drive...anyone tried to lift one yet?

here is the build of my truck http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-cor...j80-build.html
Attached Images   
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I feel like alot less of a dumbass for buying these on ebay. Thank you.
Redridge,does she ever dance out of those clothes !
Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

When I decided to put the X51 headers on my 06 997S I found that the OEM X51 headers were not that clean inside. The original 3.8 headers were cleaner (from a flow perspective). Prior to installing them I spent some time cleaning them up to improve the flow. I think that aspect of new or different headers is important. I made the change for the sound mostly, and most of us would find that in order to objectively collect pre and post change dyno numbers will find that it's quite difficult, what with all the variables.

3.8 headers compared to the X51 headers

Before port cleaning

After port cleaning

Port cleaning tools
Attached Images     
Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 AM
laproscopic
Track Day

way to do it yourself.

as i look at the oe porsche header i just took off my 996 i am under the impression that the primaries are welded to the flange on the inside of the tube (the tube is welded to the flange from the inside) and not on the outside. Such seems to be the case with the header pics you just showed. if this is the case wouldn't that port job compromise the header as you have removed the weld that was holding the tube to the flange?

however if there is a weld on the outside of your header you would probably be ok

and if you have run that ported header on the motor and it is holding than all must be fine. have you put some miles on those ported headers?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad someone tried the inexpensive headers. The header design for the factory ones and the aftermarket ones is pretty basic. If anyone has ever looked at NASCAR or drag racing headers where the exhaust is tuned for the specific torque curve of the engine, those primary tube lengths, diameter, and collector length all come in to play and make our stock "headers" look like old school iron manifolds of the 70's. For the price some of these aftermarket suppliers are asking for stainless headers I would expect to see some dyno numbers, some titanium, or something resembling a Moto GP or Formula 1 exhaust.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by laproscopic
way to do it yourself.

as i look at the oe porsche header i just took off my 996 i am under the impression that the primaries are welded to the flange on the inside of the tube (the tube is welded to the flange from the inside) and not on the outside. Such seems to be the case with the header pics you just showed. if this is the case wouldn't that port job compromise the header as you have removed the weld that was holding the tube to the flange?

however if there is a weld on the outside of your header you would probably be ok

and if you have run that ported header on the motor and it is holding than all must be fine. have you put some miles on those ported headers?
I have in excess of 20,000 miles on these X51 headers, as cleaned up.

Is that Laparoscopic, or Laproscopic? (The first is the way we spell it in medical circles).

Quick Reply: just installed ebay headers...look