Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

thanks for the technical input.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
Your rear tires will last a LOT longer if you set the camber to neutral, which is the least they can be set at.

"stabbing" the throttle on a tip will immediately shift the transmission to the lowest gear possible for the speed you are traveling. It will hold it there for approx 8 seconds unless other throttle input is applied.

The PSM computer does some interesting things on its own volition. I have to refresh my memory on that though.
Ill try this, What does the book say to set them too? So when I go in and tell them to set it to 0 I can 1/2 act like I know what I am talking about
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Kyle, you can set them yourself. PM me.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

Chinese headers.......I paid $80. Shiney and looked good though I am far from an expert. Put them on for sound reasons, not performance and they did the trick. A nice gutteral idle and a bit of a "look at me" sound when my foot is in the throttle.

What did I do to install?

1) ordered Porsche exhaust gaskets & bolts
2) squirted a half & half mixture of ATF & Acetone on the bolts a week before
3) did #2 again 3 days before
4) #2 again..biggest fear was to break a bolt...did the cat flange bolts, too
5) 13mm with a 3/8 ratchet and some extensions. Used a 1/4 inch w/U-jt connector on the back passenger side bolt
6) GENTLY, did I say GENTLY, loosened all bolts
7) then removed the bolts and the headers
8) replace w/new...used anti-sieze on new bolts
9) Torqued to 19# on manifold bolts, 21# on cat nuts

Took me about 4 to 5 hours. I am NO mechanic GL
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (04-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 AM
Darqangelle
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pac996
About 2 weeks ago I bought the car and just yesterday I was reading the manual and found out sure enough if I hold the key in the door to unlock or lock the windows operate down or up. Never knew that one. Great trick for here in Hawaii with the heat the sun makes in the car.
...and if you have a convertible, it will lower the top as well. Keep the key twisted after the top is down and the windows come back up.

The reverse is true, too. Twist the key to "lock" when the top is down and if you hold it (if the windows are up, they'll go down first), the top will close, and the windows will rise to lock and seal the car.
PBradz (10-12-2021)
Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Darqangelle
AutoX

Originally Posted by redridge
<snip>

Porsche AC Diagnostics
(undocumented, unsupported feature)

20c - Vehicle speed in kph, updating only once per second. (real speed, not speed+safety margin as in the speedometer)
<snip>
And as a result, I have learned that the actual speed of the car is 4km/h SLOWER than what is displayed on the dash.

Speedo: 100km/h = Actual: 96km/h

I'll have to play with the rest some other time
Old 03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
bradenp
AutoX

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
- Park any Porsche the furthest spot away from any other car, say a good 1000ft away from any mall entrance: wait 1 hour and come out and see, (often the only other car in the lot) a car parked BESIDE you when there were 900 other empty parking spots they could have used. Fact.
SO TRUE. And so annoying
SealG996 (02-21-2022)
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 PM
GAGMAN
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the rear...where's the front?

Originally Posted by peavynation
Where are they? I almost closed my front compartment after taking out the battery. I knew there must be manual cables somewhere.
I never saw a public reply to this....but I found the rear one accidentally while changing a burnt tail light bulb. Its underneath the Left tail light assembly. You'd need to snake a thin wire with a hook between the lens and the body to grab the loop and pull it out. Then, just pull outward towards the left of the car to release the engine cover...
Now...anyone find the front one yet? Is it under the headlight?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GAGMAN
Now...anyone find the front one yet? Is it under the headlight?
It's behind the passenger side wheel well liner. You either take off the front right wheel or turn the wheel so that you can get a screwdriver to pry the plastic snap in screws off so you can create enough room to reach in and feel around for a wire with a loop on the end of it. It's behind the headlight area and is hard to pull to release the lock. Some have used the end of a coat hanger pushed through the loop to create more force. If you ask why didn't Porsche make it easier to locate or to pull it by making the wire longer or located in an easier spot to get at - you defeat the purpose of having security for your luggage area. The cable has been left in the design in case the solenoid goes bad, (Mk2 and up).

02 cars and up can be 'boosted' by a 12V supply attached to one of the points in the fuse box. That procedure is around here somewhere if you do a search. It's also shown on Renntech how to do it as well.

Here's a diagram of the part your looking for marked with an arrow.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 05-18-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:49 AM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Chinese headers.......I paid $80. Shiney and looked good though I am far from an expert. Put them on for sound reasons, not performance and they did the trick. A nice gutteral idle and a bit of a "look at me" sound when my foot is in the throttle.
I suggested using chinese headers on my 911 to my mechanic and you would have thought I called his mother a *****. I swear he almost hung up on me.
JBari (07-15-2020)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by eggodynamics
I suggested using chinese headers on my 911 to my mechanic and you would have thought I called his mother a *****. I swear he almost hung up on me.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
It's behind the passenger side wheel well liner. You either take off the front right wheel or turn the wheel so that you can get a screwdriver to pry the plastic snap in screws off so you can create enough room to reach in and feel around for a wire with a loop on the end of it. It's behind the headlight area and is hard to pull to release the lock. Some have used the end of a coat hanger pushed through the loop to create more force. If you ask why didn't Porsche make it easier to locate or to pull it by making the wire longer or located in an easier spot to get at - you defeat the purpose of having security for your luggage area. The cable has been left in the design in case the solenoid goes bad, (Mk2 and up).
A good idea if you ever have to get to the thing is when you're done with it don't put it back in the same place. Route it through the front bumper frame so that you can pull it out through the tow-hook hole. It's a life-saver when you need quick access and you've got a worn frunk latch.

Edit: Fun fact, "frunk" is, or at least should be, the scientific name for the front trunk.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
wanabe911 owner
Intermediate

Default What is the lever for under the steering wheel?

What is the lever for under the steering wheel? I have a 99 996 and dont have an owners manual and cant figure out what the lever is for. It looks like a lever you would use to tilt the wheel?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe911 owner
What is the lever for under the steering wheel? I have a 99 996 and dont have an owners manual and cant figure out what the lever is for. It looks like a lever you would use to tilt the wheel?
telescopic steering....
SARNODUDE (05-28-2023)
Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
wanabe911 owner
Intermediate

Default Cool Thanks

Cool Thanks, mine must be stuck!

Quick Reply: The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread