Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 AM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Park or neutral makes no difference on mine, 4K is all you get.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
A34735
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really?

Dude,
My 1998/9 996 revs to 7K in N. Not sure about P, though...Is this a 'recent' limitation?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Gavia57
3rd Gear

Add Title
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
b00m
2nd Gear

Default Clock mystery + tires

I have a 2004 996TT cabriolet acquired a year ago. Here are two things I noticed recently; maybe others can confirm:

1. I stored the car over the winter with the battery out and on a tender for 4 months. When I reinstalled the battery, I expected to have to re-enter the radio code into the PCM. Not only did I *not* have to do that, it still had all of my radio stations memorized! But that's not all... Initially the clock was off - pretty sure it read 12:00am initially at first and I spent a couple of minutes with the "computer" trying to see if I could set the time. The next time I started the car the clock was right - was this just a happy coincidence or does this thing have some way to connect to a time-server?!

2. When I first got the car, I learned to creep in and out of driveways, etc. so the bottom of the front spoiler would not scrape. Back then I dutifully kept the front tires at 36psi. This year, after bringing the car out of storage, I left the fronts at 40psi - and not once have I scraped in places where I always used to have to go very slowly. I've noticed no handling degradation at all. Amazing what 4 lbs will do.
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (08-12-2019)
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM
halcon77
Track Day

Originally Posted by chemsales
halcon77

I feel your pain! I have to have my Starbucks coffee but I was scared that the slide out holder on my '03 would lead to lots of dripping into my center console. I picked up the item below and it works perfectly. It does encroach on the passenger seat a bit but my size 6 bride (of 20 years!) doesn't complain as long as she can have her large sweet tea from Wendy's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cup-h...Q5fAccessories
Thanks. I did buy one of those "adaptable cup holders" I no longer have a wife. I had to buy "The Dutchess of Nordstroms" a new Lexus for allowing me to keep my P-cars. Yes divorce is expensive but sometimes worth every thousand dollar bill. My girlfriend, however complains about not being able to fit her Margarita glass in the new cup holder................. go figure.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Duchess of Nordstroms. LOL! I'm okay with the factory cup holder. It holds a 12 oz coffee nicely and works better than the one that was in my 335. No margaritas in the P-car though. Too sticky if it spills.

What I'm most impressed with is how easy these cars are to work on assuming you don't have to drop the engine or change the plugs.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

If your airbag warning light comes on when you first buckle up to drive:

A: Don't panic and/or call your favorite service provider to come tow your car in

B: Your airbags WILL NOT deploy prematurely or unprovoked

C: It is most likely the sensor in your or your passenger seat belt connector, costs about $300-500 to replace, but WILL NOT either PREVENT or CAUSE your airbags from operating perfectly normally despite the fault warning light

D: May reset itself without any other repairs or fiddling after 40 restarts (I do not recommend sitting in the driveway doing 40 consecutive restarts). Even if your car is a daily driver, it could easily be more than a month of daily use before the 40 starts have been achieved (and hangar queens might take a year or more - so DRIVE your car more often).

E: Can be reset easily with the usual computer diagnostic equipment

F: Can be "ignored" with a small piece of plastic black electrical tape over the offending light

I am a compulsive hypochondriac when it comes to my cars service. I "got over it" on the airbag light after having already replaced both seat belt connectors over the past 12 years and realizing there might be no more "fault" than the fault detection system. My most recent airbag fault did in fact reset itself after 40 starts, the light no longer comes on, and the diagnostic showed the fault occurred but did not detect any actual faults.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
If your airbag warning light comes on when you first buckle up to drive:
G: Remove the airbag LED from the dash. :-)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Hadn't used the car in about a week. Tried to use key fob: nothing. Tried different fob: nothing.
Had to remove my recently-installed beautifully-detailed bumperplug key slot plug. Placed key in and turned it (this was new to me); fob worked.

Reviewed page 19, Controls, Instruments of manual and recalled the following fact: "If the vehicle is not started or unlocked...within 5 days, the remote...is switched off."

Nice! Started up beautifully of course, and my radio "sound" pre-sets (bass, treble, etc) were all set at zero. Channels retained. Odd.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Default Thanks to ALL for your input

Greetings,

I just purchased a 2002 C4S this week and reading this thread highlighted many things and areas I was not familiar with. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this Forum and made my learning curve less steep. I read the manual and some things were already mentioned there but this is a good read, especially for us newbies to 996 ownership.

Sam
Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

'Thundertub' - In my excitement to add my car to my signature I made the mistake . Thanks for the pointers and it was taken in good faith . I'm eager to get this C4S on the road and see what it has hidden underneath the rear end . Thanks for the welcome and I'm sure you'll see me around asking questions, or inquiring about comments made by the experts.

Sam
Old 06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
wmiranda
Track Day

Late to the party but the Rear Fog light thing... it's obvious it's only one side:

Option: M465 Rear foglamp, left
Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM
DelRey996
6th Gear

Default Spolier Cover

My spoiler cover flew off as I accelerated on to the freeway on my '99 C2. I snapped it back on but it still seems loose. Does it need to be screwed on or is it designed to be taken on and off by hand?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found something new while cleaning it today. If you hit the power button on the PSM, the radio turns on even if the key isn't in the ignition. Hit it again and it turns off.

Start/stop the car and the radio still comes on and goes off like normal.

Cool!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
buzzone
Advanced

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
- Park any Porsche the furthest spot away from any other car, say a good 1000ft away from any mall entrance: wait 1 hour and come out and see, (often the only other car in the lot) a car parked BESIDE you when there were 900 other empty parking spots they could have used. Fact.
LOL.. Love it. I see you have bikes. Same goes with my bikes. I spend 5,000 man hours, modifying it, rebuilding and modifying it with stuff from England , Japan... and who parks next to me way out away from the store... every fricken time... an old P.O.S. P/U Truck with a trailer load of scrap metal, pipes and bars sticking out waiting to knock my million Dollar one of a kind bike over... Just Perfect~ Absolutely Perfect!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread