Sponsored by:

The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hapich
Drivers used to have to run to their cars at the start of the 24hr. Le Mans race. This starting method inspired Porsche to locate the ignition key switch to the left of the steering wheel. In a left-hand drive car, this allowed the driver to use his left hand to start the engine, and his right hand to put the transmission into gear, which in turn shaves off a few tenths of a second.
How bout that
The curator of the Porsche Museum was interviewed about that. He said it was done long before racing...thinking it was Porsche's way to shave a few inches of wiring. For all we know it was his way of just getting the keys out of the way so a long key set wouldn't interfere with shifting (since a number of cars of the period had the key in the middle of the dashboard).
Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nghiaho58
Is that true? This is exactly happenned to my 2000 C2 Cab. My friend told me that the passenger side fog light is off, I then checked it and found no bulb in the socket. Installed the bulb but it did not lightup, checked the voltage and zero volt. Swapped the whole lamp module from left to right and right to left; the passenger side fog light still off.
I thought the electrical wire is broken somewhere and plan to add jumper wire from the driver side light to the passenger side.

Should I do this and do you know why it came from the factory like this?

Thanks.
Nghia Ho
They only have the left side fog light because in Germany you are only allowed to pass on the left.
Thus, the logic there is the marker on the left side helps to indicate where/how to pass.

(Of course, passing on the right on the Autobahn or highways is not allowed.)
Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I was born and raised in Europe (Holland) I know a bit about this topic, originally the fog light was a separate unit mounted below the rear bumper on drivers side, later it was incorporated into the actual taillight housing.

The reason for having only one is to distinguish the difference between a brake light and a fog light (European cars did not have 3rd brake lights).

The reason it's on the drivers side is because this is the most visible locating, in England the fog light is on the right.

Manufactures found it was more cost efficient to put the same amount of sockets in both taillight while using the same wiring harness this way they simply installed a dummy bulb on whichever side they do not want active..

On my P. I have blacked-out taillights, in order to compensate for the loss off brightness I replaced the dummy bulb with a real one and wired both fog lights in with the normal nighttime light-sockets, thereby doubling the light output (standard taillight is 2x 5W. the fog light is 21 W.).

If your interested to see more on this check out https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...r-stuff-2.html

Cheers,

Sid.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In re. speedometer error, both my analog and digital readouts are optimistic by about 5% in the 50-80 mph range per my Garmin GPS. Oh, well.

relinuca
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In re. speedometer error, both my analog and digital readouts are optimistic by about 5% in the 50-80 mph range per my Garmin GPS. Oh, well.

relinuca
Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by relinuca

relinuca
The dealer can correct this. This was a hot topic on P related forums 7-8 years ago. Dealer corrected speedo on wife's Boxster in '03 and as I recall it was near dead on at freeway speeds compared to GPS.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Pat
Advanced

Interesting, Nick. What are the chances I can get my dealer to correct the speedo error on my 2001 986 S? Do you remember if they charged you? Mine seems to be off about 8%, regardless of speed.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick49
The dealer can correct this. This was a hot topic on P related forums 7-8 years ago. Dealer corrected speedo on wife's Boxster in '03 and as I recall it was near dead on at freeway speeds compared to GPS.
Originally Posted by Pat
Interesting, Nick. What are the chances I can get my dealer to correct the speedo error on my 2001 986 S? Do you remember if they charged you? Mine seems to be off about 8%, regardless of speed.
Could also be the overall diameter of your wheels+tires.
If you've got either one of those different than stock it will change your speedo read out.
Larger= lower reading
smaller= higher reading

OK, near dead is definitely not the wheel set up...

Cheers,

Sid.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Pat
Advanced

Well, I called my dealer and they said there's nothing they can do. My wheel and tires are OEM 18s. I've had plenty of bad experiences at this dealer and wouldn't be surprised if I got bad info. Can others on here verify they had a dealer adjust their speedo readout?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:03 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default now you tell me

Originally Posted by 4Scargo
Put LED taillight and brake light bulbs in and your dash will flash ABS/PSM faults. Cool!
thx cargo, mine is doin that, & i can't remember which one i put it in though: how do i find out which one it is? & will they just go off after i put the correct one in, or do i have to re-set something.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With out having the car on or key in you can get your mileage rading by pressing the odometer button dial thingy.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Without having the key in the ignition, the stock CD-220 or CDR-220 radio will turn on if you press the "on" button on the radio face. It will stay on for 1 hour, then shut off automatically.

Also, after removing the key, if you press the radio "on" button within 2 seconds, it will stay on.
The following users liked this post:
SF Neunelfer (09-22-2019)
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
dailydriverC4s
Track Day

I asked my dealer about the spedo when I was in for an alignment and was told that the spedo reads high by design and cannot be adjusted. I was mostly concerned b/c it seemed my odometer was reading slightly higher than the GPS as well, and while it does, it is only fractional (<1% different from GPS).

From reading other forums it appears the laws in Germany mandate that a manufacturer must produce a speedometer that reads within 10% (I believe) of actual speed, but that it cannot under any circumstances record speed lower than actual. Porsche decided to err on the side of caution as tire wear etc., will change the speedometer reading fractionally.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 AM
MiltonBeeswax
4th Gear

Default Parking in Shopping centers

It is unbelievable but true. I park in the middle of freaking nowhere and when I return... cars on both sides... and not nice ones either. Any speculation regarding the reason for this?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

the cars come with the "a-hole magnet" option turned on, and you hafta have the dealer turn it off????????????????????

Quick Reply: The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread