Sponsored by:

996 motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 motor mounts

Was wondering about motor mounts, I'm pretty sure I need to replace mine so I need to get them soon. Anyhow, online I've only found either the stock mount and the OGracing solid mount. I don't want to rattle my teeth out so the solid mount is out of the question, I would like something in between, maybe a urethane mount? Are there any available anywhere? I street drive my car about once a week and go to the track about 20 to 30 times a year. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We have the hard rubber motor mounts and the RS motor mounts.
Both Porsche parts :

Check the link for more info :
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96126.htm

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96189.htm
Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Nice, looks like exaclty what I want, I'm in Canada so with our low currency, the currency conversion makes it cost a lot, like well over $600 when shipped
Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the Wevo semi-solid with the softer pillow option (black) and I'm very happy with them. Others on this forum have installed them and not liked the increased vibrations but I personally don't think it's that bad.

They're priced pretty reasonably too.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Sweet thanks! I was thinking about pm'ing you on the mounts, haha

Have you replaced your transmission mount? Is it crucial? I'm getting a heavy shudder when I'm cruising at a low speed in third gear, give it a little bit of gas to keep up with bumper to bumper traffic, it kind of feels like I am jerking back and forth, I'm trying to figure out if it's the engine mount or tranny mount, either way I think I'm going to go with the wevo
Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

would you happen to have a link? I can't find those mounts other than for a 993 and 930
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Overlake
Banned

Originally Posted by 92tsiawd
Sweet thanks! I was thinking about pm'ing you on the mounts, haha

Have you replaced your transmission mount? Is it crucial? I'm getting a heavy shudder when I'm cruising at a low speed in third gear, give it a little bit of gas to keep up with bumper to bumper traffic, it kind of feels like I am jerking back and forth, I'm trying to figure out if it's the engine mount or tranny mount, either way I think I'm going to go with the wevo

Perhaps it's because you are "cruising at low speed in third gear" in "bumper to bumper traffic"?

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Mathemagician
Instructor

Yeah, that definitely sounds like 2nd gear + VERY gentle on the throttle territory, or even first if it's stop/go.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Gert:

Are the mounts that you described aftermarket parts or are they Porsche parts? If they are Porsche parts, can you provide their part number?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mathemagician
Yeah, that definitely sounds like 2nd gear + VERY gentle on the throttle territory, or even first if it's stop/go.
Is that a feature that porsche threw in with the e-gas?
It's kind of annoying, is there anyway to get rid of it? Cleaning the MAF maybe?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Mathemagician
Instructor

It's a feature of driving 10mph with a manual transmission.

FWIW, there is a clutch delay switch on the 996 which can be disabled in about 10 seconds with some tape. It has the effect of making the throttle response nonlinear when the clutch has been pressed recently. There is an easy way to test out the difference when launching. The feature has a 4 second timeout and is disabled above 1800 rpm, so if you are at a light and want to try it without the nonlinearity, hold the clutch for 5 sec before pulling away. Then try it at the next light without pressing the clutch until you're ready to go (and keep the revs down). I tried taping the switch and it definitely made for more predictable throttle response when shifting. It also requires lifting off the gas a split second sooner when shifting into higher gears. Still, I'd gotten used to it the default way so removed the tape after a couple days and let it be. It's supposed to make shifting easier on the clutch or some such thing. Forgive my mangled description of its functionality.

There's a quick test to illustrate the effect. While stationary and in neutral, hold the revs steady at 1200 or so and press the clutch in. The revs will dip noticeably and the exhaust note will get ugly. With the switch defeated this does not occur.

Last edited by Mathemagician; 03-19-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How can the exhaust note have anything to do with the clutch?
I never heard of this "delay clutch switch " you mention.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Mathemagician
Instructor

People with far more time than I: http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...eated-joy.html
Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Math.
The CDV changes the timing in the engine, thus the change in sound.
You learn something every night.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 92tsiawd
would you happen to have a link? I can't find those mounts other than for a 993 and 930
They technically don't list their mounts for the 996 cars but lots of 996 and GT3 guys are using them. You have to source a longer bolt for the mount but they otherwise work perfectly fine. I was able to get the bolt I needed at my local Fastenall store.

http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...gineMounts.htm

I havn't touched my tranny mount...and honestly I think no matter what the transition from off throttle to on-throttle in these cars is a bit abrupt no matter what. Maybe the drive by wire cars are different but my throttle cable car still has pretty apparent transitions from off throttle to throttle applicaiton. There's certainly no slack left in the monuts though.

Quick Reply: 996 motor mounts