Sponsored by:

cab clamshell

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:28 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cab clamshell

I have a 00 c4 and the cab clamshell just stopped working. I dropped the top with no problems and went for a ride to the bookstore. When I parked my car, I used the button to close the top. All I got was ticking from the rear and blinking lights. Once home, I used the instructions in operators manual to close the top. After I took the rear back off to access the allen and controls, I tried the button and it worked. I then replaced the back and tried to close it with the button, and the clamshell wouldn't move. The problem seems to be the clamshell. Once I open the clamshell, the top works perfectly with no problem, though I have to manually close it. any ideas; motor, fluid, etc?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:24 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

microswitch is more likely to be the issue than fluid since the clamshell is electrically driven

there is one in the handbrake...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Default clamshell

Thanks for your reply. I'm not too familar with these switches. How do I access it, and is the correct part name is handbrake microswitch?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

pull up on the handbrakes..... if that's not engage, neither will the top
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Default reply

I tried the handbrake and sure enough it worked. Anymore ideas, I'm all ears. thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

I have a 97 Boxster that had the same or similar problem just yesterday. I assume the top mechanisms are very similar. In the Boxster there is a single motor that drives two transmissions via cables. The transmissions, one per side raise and lower their perspective side of the top and clam shell with a series of push rods, levers and ball & socket connections. I raised my top w/o a problem then when I went to lower it the clam shell jammed on the pass side.

In my case one of the drive cables from the motor to the transmission became dislocated from the motor, thus sending power to only one side of the top /clam shell. In this case the top / clam shell will raise crookedly (ugly sight & $$$) if you continue to raise the top.

If I read your post right, it sounds like your top is working but your clam shell is not. If this is the case, and if the 996 top is similar to the Boxster’s top, I would check to see if one of the ball & sockets connections has popped off or broken.

Renntech.org has an entire section devoted to DIY repair for the Boxster top. I haven’t looked, but they may also have a similar section for the 996 Cab top.

In my case I was able to diagnose and fix my top’s problem last night in a couple of hours with the help on renntech.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:02 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Take what I said above with a grain of salt. I quickly looked over on renntech and found that the 996 cab tops are a bit more complicated than those of the Boxster. I did however find this post that sounds like your problem.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...=cab+clamshell

or

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...Bcab+clamshell

Sorry mods if links to other boards are not permitted.

Quick Reply: cab clamshell