996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil in the Coolant ARRGHH 1999 996

Old 05-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Fla996
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the Coolant ARRGHH 1999 996

Help.... A long time lurker I work with some other Porsche guys who have encouraged me to post here for information.

My car is 1999 Porsche C2 Tiptronic. 117k miles. Extremely reliable.

ODBII codes: six are showing
P0300 Cylinder misfire detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire detected
P1126 manufacture controlled fuel and air metering (there is an oil separator hose leaking on the driver side)
P1124 manufacture controlled fuel and air metering
P1531 Idle control??? input controlled vehicle speed

Symptoms: noticed low oil, and topped it off 2 days ago, strange as no leaks and never ever burns oil. Also noticed a louder than normal valve train rattle.
Cleaning the car I opened the coolant reservoir cap and noticed brown milkshake oil coolant mixture in the reservoir. The car is not running hot but in retrospect seems degraded as if it ran some low octane gas.
I was out of town and carefully babied it home this is about 25 miles. I notice the oil pressure was at 3bar and dropping. I stopped check oil level and put in one quart.
4 hours later started it up again and the oil pressure is back up to normal pressure levels.
Oil in the coolant. I notice some steam from the oil fill tube as well.

Is this the dreaded blown engine ?
Or perhaps an Air oil Separator? One small puff of white smoke on start up not much else.

I am searching and reading but your input is most appreciated.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry to hear. But, you do have 117K miles, so your did get the expected 100-150K life, right?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:28 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OIL IN COOLANT

Originally Posted by Fla996

Help.... A long time lurker I work with some other Porsche guys who have encouraged me to post here for information.

My car is 1999 Porsche C2 Tiptronic. 117k miles. Extremely reliable.

ODBII codes: six are showing
P0300 Cylinder misfire detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire detected
P1126 manufacture controlled fuel and air metering (there is an oil separator hose leaking on the driver side)
P1124 manufacture controlled fuel and air metering
P1531 Idle control??? input controlled vehicle speed

Symptoms: noticed low oil, and topped it off 2 days ago, strange as no leaks and never ever burns oil. Also noticed a louder than normal valve train rattle.
Cleaning the car I opened the coolant reservoir cap and noticed brown milkshake oil coolant mixture in the reservoir. The car is not running hot but in retrospect seems degraded as if it ran some low octane gas.
I was out of town and carefully babied it home this is about 25 miles. I notice the oil pressure was at 3bar and dropping. I stopped check oil level and put in one quart.
4 hours later started it up again and the oil pressure is back up to normal pressure levels.
Oil in the coolant. I notice some steam from the oil fill tube as well.

Is this the dreaded blown engine ?
Or perhaps an Air oil Separator? One small puff of white smoke on start up not much else.

I am searching and reading but your input is most appreciated.
That is exactly what happened to my 2001 996 at 57K Miles. Our first fix was replacing the oil heat exchanger located on the back right of the engine. Your mechanic will know where that is located. That did not fix the problem. So I bought a new engine from the dealership $8500 plus tax and paid a local indy $1500 to install. Had to take radiators out and send them to be cleaned and also cleaned the entire radiator system with Shout detergent multiple times. While we were at it we added the center radiator like the GT3. Does your tiptronic already have the center radiator. If so, then you have three radiators which need a thorough cleaning to remove the oil in them.

Everything works like a charm and the engine is warranted 2 years unlimited mileage. You are lucky to have so many miles.

bella@wbrinsurance.com
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Sorry to hear. But, you do have 117K miles, so your did get the expected 100-150K life, right?
+1. I'd look at it as an excuse for getting a new engine.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Out of curiosity FLA996, how many miles did you drive the car since you purchased it?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 AM
vwrado
Instructor

Seems like symptoms of a blown head gasket. If that is the case, that can be fixed / replaced.

How come it is for every engine related problem, every porsche owner wants to replace the engine? Are these engines not rebuildable?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

It's something that got started by Porsche and cars under Porsche warranty. If anything breaks other than IMS/RMS. the engine is replaced and the old one sent back to Porsche. I believe this also lead to the unavailability of OEM engine rebuild parts for the 996, since only the Porsche factory was rebuilding them. So, even if you wanted to rebuild, you did not have the parts for it.

Seeing more posts now, though, of engines being repaired under warranty. So, maybe we'll be getting rebuild parts soon.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is really bad news. What did you decide to do?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
This is really bad news. What did you decide to do?
And the point or dredging up a 6.5 year thread to ask what the OP did when they haven't posted since opening this thread?

Oh yeah, you're a useless troll. So much for my holiday wish coming true...
Old 11-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Faceman742
Intermediate

I think Krazy may be trying to scare me away from buying a 996. I did ask to be talked out of it.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
And the point or dredging up a 6.5 year thread to ask what the OP did when they haven't posted since opening this thread?

Oh yeah, you're a useless troll. So much for my holiday wish coming true...
It's actually so desperate...it's starting to get funny!

Hey KK...since you are apparantly living in 2008 here's some advice. Buy real estate. Lots and lots of real estate. And...if the Giants are in a Super Bowl, bet against those losers.

It's sad that we have to put up with this douchnozzle...but we can't post pics with nipples...
Old 11-27-2015, 07:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Faceman742
I think Krazy may be trying to scare me away from buying a 996. I did ask to be talked out of it.
Now that's really sad. With only 11 posts our newest member has already figured our idiot man child out.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:55 PM
Jonathan Russell
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all,

Related type of issue, I'll start with I just bought this a week ago. 2000 996 C2 runs and drives great, but I found what must be oil/water mix (white and sticky) in the coolant reservoir. I have checked the dipstick and the oil is perfectly fine, temp gauge stays steady at about 195, and the oil pressure runs from 1-2 at idle and up to 3-4 when driving hard. All of my gut says it's a head gasket but the motor has no other symptoms than the goo in the reservoir. This was a new buy from a dealer that I am going to talk to on Monday. I feel pretty dumb for missing it during the test drive but here I am now.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

If you do some searching on this site you'll find out that it is NEVER the head gasket. Most likely you have a cracked head, which is more common in MY2000 cars. The good news is that it can be fixed. I'm sure others will chime in. The first thing you need to do is stop driving it. The second thing is to get the coolant system flushed ASAP.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you should ask the dealer to fix it or take the car back because it's not going to be a cheap repair if it's one of the heads. Lots of labor plus machine shop work to repair the head (if repairable).

I agree it's very likely one of the heads and not the head gaskets but a more thorough inspection and diagnosis will be needed to confirm that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil in the Coolant ARRGHH 1999 996