Sponsored by:

CEL P0507

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL P0507

So my car through a CEL. The car was idling high (1100rmp), pulled the CEL and see P0507 only. CEL is for high idle (no surprise). I cleared the CEL with the OBDII reader. The next few times the car started and immediately died. (cannot hold idle). If I start the car and then give it some gas to keep it going after a little driving it idles on its own although not at a consistent speed. Now after 6-7 starts it doesn't seem to stall after start up but the idle is high again 1050-1100 rpm. However this time it has not thrown the CEL yet.

I have a warranty on the car so I plan on taking it in to have it looked at.
First question: What is going on? some sensor the idle system uses has gone bad?
Second Question: What do I tell the dealer? It through a cell but I erased it? Do I wait to take it in until the CEL comes on again?

thoughts?
Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad MAF sensor maybe?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Tell dealer just what happened. Be sure you know what steps to follow in order...

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
So my car through a CEL. The car was idling high (1100rmp), pulled the CEL and see P0507 only. CEL is for high idle (no surprise). I cleared the CEL with the OBDII reader. The next few times the car started and immediately died. (cannot hold idle). If I start the car and then give it some gas to keep it going after a little driving it idles on its own although not at a consistent speed. Now after 6-7 starts it doesn't seem to stall after start up but the idle is high again 1050-1100 rpm. However this time it has not thrown the CEL yet.

I have a warranty on the car so I plan on taking it in to have it looked at.
First question: What is going on? some sensor the idle system uses has gone bad?
Second Question: What do I tell the dealer? It through a cell but I erased it? Do I wait to take it in until the CEL comes on again?

thoughts?
Thanks,
Andy

to reproduce the high idle when you take the car in. What you don't want to do is deviate from what you've been doing and then find out the high idle symptom fails to appear.

If MAF is suspected dealership can query MAF for its adaptation values and know soon enough if MAF acting up.

(In some cases a knowledgeable DIY'er can disconnect the MAF and see if engine behaves the same. If if does, then chances are the problem is not related to MAF.)

However, with car/engine still under warranty I'd not waste too much time trying to self-diagnose source of troubles. If the symptom is the precursor to serious trouble you could make things worse fussing around on your own.

No need to wait for a CEL again. If idle still high chances are CEL will show up very soon anyhow.

Best get the car in pronto.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P0507 Idle air control at stop - above limit
Possible fault cause
- Throttle is jammed
- Leaks in intake air system
Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the problem and wanted to post a possible fix for others that might get a P0507 code. Turns out the oil fill cap was not put on tight after the last oil change. This caused a vacuum issue and triggered P0507. Tightened the cap, smooth normal idle returns, ~6-7 starts later and the CEL went out.

Andy
Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I found the problem and wanted to post a possible fix for others that might get a P0507 code. Turns out the oil fill cap was not put on tight after the last oil change. This caused a vacuum issue and triggered P0507. Tightened the cap, smooth normal idle returns, ~6-7 starts later and the CEL went out.

Andy
Glad you found the issue Andy.

FYI I had a similar issue a while back and it turned out to be the oil cap too: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...0&goto=newpost

Quick Reply: CEL P0507