Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! Location of Oil Drain Plug & Transmission Fluid on 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
jr1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! Location of Oil Drain Plug & Transmission Fluid on 996

I tried to do my own oil change & I thnk I drained the transmission fluid instead. I put my car in gear & it won't move.

Where is the oil drain plug located on a 996? & where do I refill the transmission fluid? If anyone can direct me to a diagram of their locations that would be great.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Try here.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7055
Old 02-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What tool did you use to remove a plug?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
bmartini
Instructor

okay relax, it's really simple, i'll explain it very slowly and leave out no detail. first off, you drain your motor oil from the motor (obviously) which is between the tires. you will need a thick allen wrench, i don't know the size but it's thick. the drain plug is flush mounted with the oil pan towards the rear of the car, in the dead center. flush mounted means it is smooth with it's surrounding surfaces and doesn't stick out like a typical bolt. the oil pan is a rectangle, almost a square. when you drain it you will see motor oil shoot out, quite violently, i might add. motor oil will be black, not pink or gray, black. it doesn't have a strong odor, and it should be hot. (if you change your oil when the car is stone cold, you are leaving in a substantial amount of sludge). right next to the oil pan is the oil filter, which is a cartridge type filter in a black plastic cylinder. you have to undo this and change the filter and o-ring.

the transmission is closer to the front of the car. if memory serves me right, the drain plug on the tranny is a bolt, which you can use a socket on. so if you used a socket, on a bolt, then you drained the wrong component. also, gear oil (for manual trannys) is grey and smelly. tranny oil (for tips) is pink..... and pretty....

post if you need more info.

Last edited by bmartini; 02-03-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You also should know that a tip has some pretty detailed requirements for its fill, both in terms of the type of fluid used and the particulars related to how it should be filled.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 PM
jr1
2nd Gear

Hey bmartini. Thanks for helping me out!

I drained some kind of fluid from the center of the car. It was greyish/yellow in color. It looked like oil, but when I started the engine the oil level was still high. So, I'm assuming I drained the wrong fluid. I drained this fluid towards the rear, center of the car. It was an allen wrench screw. When I started the car, the engine started, but when I put it in gear, the car didn't move. What the heck did I do?

I thought I drained the transmission fluid, but when I called the dealership they said that the transmission fluid color will turn from pink to looking more like oil. So, I'm not sure if I drained the oil or transmission fluid??
Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jr1
It looked like oil, but when I started the engine the oil level was still high. So, I'm assuming I drained the wrong fluid.
You started the car when you thought the oil was empty?

I am beginning to think troll.

Last edited by carpundit; 02-03-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

WTF are you doing changing a fluid in a car that you have no idea if you did the proper one? Then you started it? Never ceases to amaze me that people will continue to "try" DIY stuff on their car WITHOUT finding a set of DIY instructions or asking for help.

Do you just unscrew a bolt and pray and hope that it is motor oil? Way to take car of the car.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 drain plugs under the car that use an allen, but different size allens. Engine oil. Tansmission oil. And coolant. Since different sized allens are used, I ask what tool did you use.

If this is not a joke then my guess is you removed the coolant drain plug.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Troll, troll, troll your boat....
Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
bmartini
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
There are 3 drain plugs under the car that use an allen, but different size allens. Engine oil. Tansmission oil. And coolant. Since different sized allens are used, I ask what tool did you use.

If this is not a joke then my guess is you removed the coolant drain plug.
oh yeah, i was thinking of the G50 tranny. but i think the engine oil drain plug is the only of the three that is flush with the pan.

i am starting to think this is a joke though....
Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I guess I assumed that by "starting the engine" he meant "turned the key on to see the oil level", but now you guys have me questioning that.

But why would someone make this up? It's not exactly the joke of the year; WTF do I care what he drained from his car?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
WTF are you doing changing a fluid in a car that you have no idea if you did the proper one? Then you started it? Never ceases to amaze me that people will continue to "try" DIY stuff on their car WITHOUT finding a set of DIY instructions or asking for help.

Do you just unscrew a bolt and pray and hope that it is motor oil? Way to take car of the car.
HAHAHA couldn't have said it better. Troll or not, some people should just leave it to the professionals to do the work.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Immediately tow your car to the dealer.... and trade it in for a chevy.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW

I'm speechless.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Location of Oil Drain Plug & Transmission Fluid on 996