Sponsored by:

2004 996 PCM questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Fallon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 PCM questions

I've searched around a bit ( & RTFgoogle requirements prior to posting met) and figured a bit about upgrading and tweaking the PCM unit, but still have a few questions.

2004 996
When I get to the info screen it tells me:
3.0 PCM
3.0 System Software
6632 Device Type
45030799 Serial Number
This year/model has a PCM 2.0 revision hardware unit running firmware 3.0 in it, right?

The PCM 2.0 hardware is "CD only" which means I'm suck with the 08.2003 CD's I have (or at best can get ones from about 2004)? Or is there a DVD module I can attach to get access to the newer map DVD's?

Is it feasible to swap out my PCM unit for a newer 2.1b, or is there a lot more involved than just pulling the old one and putting a new one in? Would doing that gain anything except for the ability to read newer map disks?

Do the Parrot bluetooth hands free kits work with the PCM units, or is that just for cars without the MOST bus?

For some reason my current unit also seems to have problems with the address book for the phone, the options to copy the address book from the SIM chip and edit the address book are greyed out. I've tried 2 different SIM chips from different carriers without luck, and can't figure out how to get a working address book. It has a "loading address book" or similar message at the bottom all the time in the telephone screen, even after doing a factory reset (with a working SIM chip).
Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
docperio44
Intermediate

Hi, sorry that I can help with this. but I had a question. I have an 03 C4S without navigation. I just bought the PCM 2.0 to install -- but when it arrived, all the arrived was the head unit, there was no separate navigation module. does your have that? or is it all in one head unit? Thanks, Jon Pirie jonpirie@hotmail.com
Old 08-26-2009, 03:54 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Suncoast does offer udated maps for the PCM2. They 2008 map updates. They are not cheap. Around $329.00 for the set. This will all include a firmware update. The fireware update give you more detail on the maps.
Here is a link.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Fallon
Intermediate

I had to sell my 911 a year ago when I left Kuwait (back home stateside now, settled in Colorado Springs).

If I remember correctly Porsche stopped making updates for PCM2 hardware. New updates are released only on DVD. PCM2 systems are CD only, you need PCM3 for DVDs. Of course that's my memory from a year ago regarding Kuwait (not U.S.A) maps.

I don't think PCM2 had an external nav module, but did have an external GPS antenna. You had to feed the NAV CD into the dash unit, I think in PCM3 systems it's an external DVD reader burred in the trunk.

I'm looking to replace my Porsche here eventually, and when I do I'm planning on staying away from the Porsche NAV systems & MOST buss crap as much as I can. It's way to proprietary, non-upgradable, and painful to deal with. A $300 TomTom does a better job than the Porsche unit except for a few integration gimmicks.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Fallon
Intermediate

I had to sell my 911 a year ago when I left Kuwait (back home stateside now, settled in Colorado Springs).

If I remember correctly Porsche stopped making updates for PCM2 hardware. New updates are released only on DVD. PCM2 systems are CD only, you need PCM3 for DVDs. Of course that's my memory from a year ago regarding Kuwait (not U.S.A) maps.

I don't think PCM2 had an external nav module, but did have an external GPS antenna. You had to feed the NAV CD into the dash unit, I think in PCM3 systems it's an external DVD reader burred in the trunk.

I'm looking to replace my Porsche here eventually, and when I do I'm planning on staying away from the Porsche NAV systems & MOST buss crap as much as I can. It's way to proprietary, non-upgradable, and painful to deal with. A $300 TomTom does a better job than the Porsche unit except for a few integration gimmicks.

Quick Reply: 2004 996 PCM questions