996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Be careful when shopping for other cars - true story

Old 06-29-2007, 10:53 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Be careful when shopping for other cars - true story

I have been looking for a car to replace my 99 C4 and I found something that got my attention at Aristocrat Motors (local Porsche dealership in Mission, Kansas).

I went it and talked to the sales guy, which was a very nice guy, and everything seemed to be going well. They offered to look at my car, which I had originally not thought about trading in as I knew I would get robbed, but, upon much insistance, I did.

The salesperson took the car to the service department and that was it. I expected them to come back and ask me if they could take it for a drive which I would have allowed as long as I would have been on the car. I waited and waited and waited and nothing. Finally I saw my car pulling in from the street.

Ok...? Did they just took my car out for a joyride without my permission? Hmmmm. Well...it is a car I guess. As expected, their offer was less than impressive so I would go home to think things over. Upon getting to my car (I was already running late) I noticed there were fingerprints, smudges, and obvious "handling" of the car, which again, I fully expected as they have to check for repaint, fender alignments, etc...etc...etc....

So, I arrive home and pull the car in the garage where there is a lot more light. I wanted to clean all the "smudges and prints"...but what do you know...these were "rubbed" and "scrubbed" deep. I have spent $ 300 to have these polished and removed from the car. But wait...there is more.

A few minutes after this I get a call from one of my friends asking me: "Had a little fun today"..? Er...no? He claimed he saw my car around the dealership being driven recklessly, cutting through traffice and he tried to catch up with me but then "the car" got on the highway and he heard the revvlimiter hit twice as it got on it...I explained the situtation to him and he ellaborated further...needless to say, at that point, I was beyond pissed off.

I got a call from the salesperson later that evening and explained the situation. He apologized and said I should send him an email detailing the occurences of the day, which I did. To my surprise, there was NO REPLY for a week. I got a call from the salesperson again, and I simply told him I was no longer interested in doing business with them regardless of what they were trying to sell. I then got a call from the HR director (why HR?) and from the used car sales manager to apologize.

Aristocrat Motors have left a really bad taste in my mouth. I did get an email from the person the test drove the car explaining "why" the car had to be driven to "its full potential" to check for clutch slippage, transmision problems, gearing, performance and stability.

Well, if checking for those things means driving like a jackass, IN A CAR THAT DOES NOT belong to you, then I don't want them to take my car for a test drive. The salesperson should have made me full aware the car would leave the lot.

Anywho...all done, just venting a little bit.

Cliffnotes: DON'T take your car to Aristocrat, they will treat her like a prostitute and tell you she is only worth $ 25.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, it sucks but it wont hurt anything (except the overrevs being stored in the computer). To me, it would be a bargaining tool to get what you want and I would of milked it until it was dry. Afterall, you are trading in the "abused" car anyways.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear that happened....
Old 06-29-2007, 11:54 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by Tippy
Well, it sucks but it wont hurt anything (except the overrevs being stored in the computer). To me, it would be a bargaining tool to get what you want and I would of milked it until it was dry. Afterall, you are trading in the "abused" car anyways.
I thought about that as well, however, all I would be doing would be "make them money" which at this point, is the last thing I want to do. I am actually going to write a blog to kick them where it hurts.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Time to test drive one of their cars
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell, i love the way you think outside the box..... That is a great idea, find there best ride, rape it, then tell them to shove it...... Im not sure whether you race much or not, but if not bring someone that can truly romp on it and survive.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Aristocrat Motors have left a really bad taste in my mouth. I did get an email from the person the test drove the car explaining "why" the car had to be driven to "its full potential" to check for clutch slippage, transmision problems, gearing, performance and stability.

Wow they did give it to you bad....
Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anywho...all done, just venting a little bit.
Just venting a little bit? I'd be venting a lot bit. That is bullsh!t that they did that, especially without your knowledge. The car does not need to be tested like that.

I think you have a good case to get them to pay for the $300!!!! They seem to acknowledge their responsibility in the matter. Don't let them get away. I look at what they did like I look at a thief - with no regard.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did get an email from the person the test drove the car explaining "why" the car had to be driven to "its full potential" to check for clutch slippage, transmision problems, gearing, performance and stability.
I'm with Dell. Head over and get a test drive with one of their cars. If a salesman comes along for the ride and gets upset about your "test", show him the e-mail and explain that you were just testing for clutch slippage, trans problems, gearing, performance, and stability.

Last edited by Ray S; 06-29-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Wow. You seem amazingly composed after finding out how your car was abused. I would have gone ballistic!

Andreas
Old 06-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better yet, if it just happened take it to the dealer and have them pull the rev limiter info and print it and show based on hours usage apprx when it was done, in addition you have tech's admittance of pushing the car!!! Then you have reckless driving, damaging your car, and take it to the owner of the dealership.

I say make their lives miserable by threatening to sue them for something or other.... you know new clutch they fried..

A$$holes everywhere huh...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:59 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Time to test drive one of their cars
kind of the "don't do unto others"...right?

I should probably check their paint REAL good too and leave scuff marks on their GT3...yeah, that would be super...what do those hit the revv at again?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

kind of the "don't do unto others"...right?

I should probably check their paint REAL good too and leave scuff marks on their GT3...yeah, that would be super...what do those hit the revv at again?
8200, bang it against that a few times

Check the paint with steel wool for smoothness.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:04 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Funny is, I called them to find out the name of the owner of the place and the HR manager (again, no idea why the HR is the one taking care of these sort issues) claimed he did not the owner as the company is a "We are actually part of a larger corporate entity with numerous holdings but you are welcome to contact our HR Director by phone. His name is XXXXXX XXXXXX"

What kind of bull**** is this? There is no "owner"...WTF? And aren't you the HR Director....oh, no? You are the HR Manager...you guys are not worth my time...I am done...
Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Apparently they belong to the Soave Automotive Group which also has a few MB dealerships in the KS area. Time to have some fun?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Be careful when shopping for other cars - true story