996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

They see me rollin'...

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default They see me rollin'...

They see me rollin'. They're hatin'. Virginia's finest caught me ridin' dirty!

Alright, after 2 tickets in 2 months for failure to display a front license plate I give up. I hate to do it but it's time to drill holes in the RUF bumper and put on the license plate.

Do you guys think this is an easy job I can do myself (I am a software engineer but I think this job falls under the "hardware" category) or should I just take it to a body shop? I guess I have to buy the mounting hardware from Suncoast or the stealership.

I hate how the Fairfax County officer (1st ticket) and the State Trooper (2nd ticket this afternoon) both told me "I know it is ugly and ruins the clean lines of the car, but you have to do it." I wish I can continue to roll without front plates but at $82 a pop for the ticket it is not worth it.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 AM
LowStro9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off ......you should be shot for considering drilling holes in your RUF bumper.

I live one mile from RUF and will make sure that Wayne or Hanz give you a shout about that.

HERE IS THE PLATE SECRET THAT ALWAYS WORKS>>>PROMISE!!

Leave your plate on the floor up against the console in front of the pass seat. If you buzz past a cop and he heads your way, quickly toss the plate on the dash down low. I put a clear palstic edge around my plate as not to scratch the dash and I have gotten away with it three times.

Cop says.....stopped you for no front plate.

I say, Yes sir I know its not there but it is in the corner of the bottom of the windshield because my DOT approved (strosek) bumper does not come with mount points. I then tell them that I understand that state law requires it to be mounted and visible from the front.

Works Every Time...

Friend of mine in his new Lambo did not listen, got a ticket, went to court and told him that he just did not see himself drilling holes in his new Lambo, judge said he could be held for contempt and held in city jail for 2 days for failure to comply, He looked dead *** straight at the judge and said whats for dinner becasue I will not drill that hole. Now he relies on the dashboard method.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Aerkuld6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LowStro9
First off ......you should be shot for considering drilling holes in your RUF bumper.

I live one mile from RUF and will make sure that Wayne or Hanz give you a shout about that.

HERE IS THE PLATE SECRET THAT ALWAYS WORKS>>>PROMISE!!

Leave your plate on the floor up against the console in front of the pass seat. If you buzz past a cop and he heads your way, quickly toss the plate on the dash down low. I put a clear palstic edge around my plate as not to scratch the dash and I have gotten away with it three times.

Cop says.....stopped you for no front plate.

I say, Yes sir I know its not there but it is in the corner of the bottom of the windshield because my DOT approved (strosek) bumper does not come with mount points. I then tell them that I understand that state law requires it to be mounted and visible from the front.

Works Every Time...

Friend of mine in his new Lambo did not listen, got a ticket, went to court and told him that he just did not see himself drilling holes in his new Lambo, judge said he could be held for contempt and held in city jail for 2 days for failure to comply, He looked dead *** straight at the judge and said whats for dinner becasue I will not drill that hole. Now he relies on the dashboard method.
Whats for dinner?

I like that, great story!

Alternatively couldn't you do as suggested but claim that it was double-sided taped onto the bumper but you found it in front of the car this morning and haven't had a chance to stick it back on?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
programmatore
Drifting

I hear you. I hate to do it but it is getting expensive to roll without a front plate -- $164 in 2 months! I'll try the plate in the dash trick but if I get another ticket the plate goes on.

Here's the weird part: my car is a daily driver and I usually have no problems except when I am driving around with this girl from NYC. I've been pulled over 4 times for no front plate with her in the car -- I got off with a warning twice and got ticketed twice. I swear, next time she's in town I will make her rent a car and drive herself!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Caguy
Advanced

I think 30-40% of the cars around my area do not have front plates, porsche or otherwise. There is safety in numbers...one good thing about over-crowding in Cali.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Pettit
Intermediate

I have mine held onto the inside of the passenger side of the windshield on my BMW with suction cups. I have never gotten so much as a second glance from a cop even when they weren't out of state plates
Attached Images   
Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Take a look at this. It isn't pretty, but it will keep you from having to drill holes in your bumper cover. It screws into the Tow Hook connector. Cost is about the price you paid for 1 ticket.

http://moweraxle.com/

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2007, 02:01 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I love AZ........
Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Tell'em to stop hatin, step up don't puss out.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this if your bumper has an access plug for the tow hook
http://www.moweraxle.com/
Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Programmatore,

I too would be a little suspicious of the NYC girl. Maybe you need to have here ride in another 911 without a front plate to see if they get pulled over. hmmm, I don't have a front plate

Originally Posted by programmatore
except when I am driving around with this girl from NYC. I've been pulled over 4 times for no front plate with her in the car
Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pettit
I have mine held onto the inside of the passenger side of the windshield on my BMW with suction cups. I have never gotten so much as a second glance from a cop even when they weren't out of state plates
Thanks dude. I will try your suggestion and get some suction cups and put my plate on the passenger side of the windshield.

I played with different front plate placements last night on Photoshop and the bottom line is I can't drill a hole! It makes my car look like a friggin' buck-toothed squirrel! Maybe if it were a lighter colored car the plate would blend in more but that bright white plate on a blue car...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Programmatore,

I too would be a little suspicious of the NYC girl. Maybe you need to have here ride in another 911 without a front plate to see if they get pulled over. hmmm, I don't have a front plate
Your car is Guards Red to boot -- that would really be a true test now, wouldn't it?!

Bright colored car, no front plate, no NYC girl = No ticket
Bright colored car, no front plate, NYC girl in the passenger seat = ???
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

yeah, hmmm. All in the name of science and p-cars. I'll run that idea by my wife and see what I come back with
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

FYI, both my wife and I use the front tag wedged between the passenger seat and console trick. just be sure to put some kind of tape along all the edges, I used green felt tape. Then just toss it up on the dash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: They see me rollin'...