Sponsored by:

Replacement keyless Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
bonkur
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement keyless Remotes

So I bought a 99C4, The keyless remote on the key I have today needs to be replaced. Does anybody know what remotes I can replace this one with? It only has a single button, Some sites say you can replace it with a GT3 remote which has more buttons. Can a Cayenne remote be used? Boxter remotes with more than one button?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use a 2 button remote with a 1 button key but the 2nd button obviously wont work...And its gonna cost you too...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I went through the same ordeal.
You can pick up the key 'body' (i.e. only the top plastic part) on eBay. Should cost you about 80$. Be carefull : needs to include the white tag with the code numbers on it.
You bring that to the Porsche dealership who will charge you 60$ to program the key.

That's your cheapest route.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My key

Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Gator911
Racer

On a side note....What is the cheapest way to go if my remote has stopped responding to my car?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 PM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

This crap just kills me! I need a three button key for my Targa and can't find one on eBay. So I call my local dealer, Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena, and they quoted me $175 for the key head and $120 to program it... no kiss and no KY. I asked them if it really takes and hour to program the key and the guy tells me no but that is simply their programing fee. It is not like the $300 is going to kill me but I just can't stand being ripped off. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a better Los Angeles area dealer?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator911
On a side note....What is the cheapest way to go if my remote has stopped responding to my car?
See my reply above.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$265 at the dealer, for the remote and programming. It's the going rate. Except for all the guys who are going to reply in the following posts, that their dealer will program it for $20.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by swmrdrn
This crap just kills me! I need a three button key for my Targa and can't find one on eBay. So I call my local dealer, Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena, and they quoted me $175 for the key head and $120 to program it... no kiss and no KY. I asked them if it really takes and hour to program the key and the guy tells me no but that is simply their programing fee. It is not like the $300 is going to kill me but I just can't stand being ripped off. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a better Los Angeles area dealer?

Ripped off? You are kidding right? How about the dealer paying over $15k per year for the subscription necessary to own/use the PIWIS? Oh and that's per unit!! It costs what it costs. Find another dealer or aftermarket shop with a PST 2 that will do it for you. You could always use the key to unlock the door, it's free or sell the car and buy a Carrera.

I cannot stand it to hear people claim "ripped off". Noone is forcing you to do anything. You choose to own the car, you choose to want the remote to work and then you choose to fix it or not. Fixing it costs money.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 AM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Ripped off? You are kidding right? How about the dealer paying over $15k per year for the subscription necessary to own/use the PIWIS? Oh and that's per unit!! It costs what it costs. Find another dealer or aftermarket shop with a PST 2 that will do it for you. You could always use the key to unlock the door, it's free or sell the car and buy a Carrera.

I cannot stand it to hear people claim "ripped off". Noone is forcing you to do anything. You choose to own the car, you choose to want the remote to work and then you choose to fix it or not. Fixing it costs money.

Do you feel better now? I am perfectly happy and capible of mantaining my cars both financialy and mechanicaly.

My understanding is that it is a 5 minute job to program a key with the PIWIS. at $120 per key fee they are generating $1,440 per hour of revenue... so the PIWIS subscription is paid for after the first day of use. Yes a dealership is a business and they need to be profitable but that kind of fee is insulting. It is a poor business practice that drives customers away from their dealership.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Have you ever programmed a key remote before? I have and it rarely takes "5 minutes" to do.

And no the subscription is hardly paid for after one day. Not even close.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:29 AM
joesmoe
Instructor

Well its what they always say, if you own a Porsche, you can afford to pay the high prices for maintenance ie oil changes etc.

I do agree pricing for stuff like that is high. I had to do my wife's TL and it was half the cost to get a 2nd key and remote fob. This included the programming as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:32 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's expensive, plain and simple. $900 to replace a hydraulic line. $600 for a 45K maintenance schedule. It's not a civic, doesn't look like one, drive like one, or sound like one.
The Ferrari guys are posting the same posts on a Ferrari chat about how cheap it is to fix a Porsche, and why Ferraris are so expensive.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 AM
swmrdrn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Have you ever programmed a key remote before? I have and it rarely takes "5 minutes" to do.

And no the subscription is hardly paid for after one day. Not even close.
Yes I have. I just replaced the remote on my Land Crusier and it took 3 minutes to program. I am happy to pay the hourly labor rate but don't lie to me about the time it takes.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:04 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Who is lying to you? Didn't you say that they told you it didn't take an hour? Come on dude, make up your mind.

Quick Reply: Replacement keyless Remotes