Sponsored by:

Results of my DIY Maintenance and RMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Results of my DIY Maintenance and RMS

Well a lot of you guys saw my previous post on all the service work I did, so I figured I would make another thread summing up my opinions and giving some(lots!) of pictures...

Well to start, I put this:

In this:

All in all, it was about 10hours to do everything...Lots of time was spent figuring out, rather than doing however...

I did all the stuff myself for a few reasons: 1) I cant afford to pay the dealer 2) The dealer is a ripoff usually 3) I want to learn about my car 4) It is fun 5) I have time, and if I do it, I KNOW it was done RIGHT and not just done...

I had no service records from the previous owner so i just decided to do everthing. I knew it needed a clutch and the RMS replace because of the PPI I had.

Here you can see the leaks:

Removing everything is all pretty straight forward and easy. Having access to air tools is a big help on the half shafts! Removing the tranny is a breeze with a long extension and a swivel socket. The hard part is the top bolt, but if you tilt the engine back, you can get that one easily. The slave cylinder was the hardest of all of them, just because of how the lines are.

I got the tranny out to get my first GOOD look at the leaking...YUCK!!

As you can see, my IMS was leaking like crazy. You can notice all of the coating and buildup underneath the motor. It looks like the leak had been going on for quite some time!

I removed the clutch and WOW!!! It was so worn out, the rivets on the clutch were rubbing! It was literally down to the metal(see the shiney rivet)...Here is a comparison of the new vs. old and my dirty hands:

Well now that i figured out why i couldnt shift smoothley, check out whats underneath...

Wowzers! That IMS wasn't happy, and the RMS wasn't that bad...Well i cleaned it all up and on to the work

To get the old seal out, i drilled a small hole into it, put a screw in, and used a pair of dykes to pry it out

Now the special tool...You slip the seal over the crank with the installing ring, then you put the hub of the special tool on the crank.

It has springs that go over 2 guides that put pressure on the tool's outer casing, allowing equal pressure to be put ont he seal while cranking it down.

All done!! Now the IMS...The IMS is under tension from the chain tensioners, so it takes 2 people...Remove the old one and istall the new one. My buddy put a socket over the IMS shaft and used a bar to get leverage to force it to line up. We used the old bolts to get it lined up. Once the IMS was seated, we put the new bolts in...I was running out of time so picture taking slowed up...

Next was the case bolts. Do them 1 at a time and it's as easy as 1,2,3,4

While I was in there, I updated the clutch release lever as well...Nasty tranny!

Put her all back together and Voila! no leaks!

Except the came cover

I did the spark plugs and they were tedious but not bad...

The fuel filter is a lot easier then it first seems, but still not fun...You just have to reach in from the back where the tunnel starts to open and slide it out...Dont take off or move any of the coolant lines etc..

The cabin filter takes a whoping 2 seconds

I wrapped it all up, added Royal Purple 10w-40 and Royal purple 75/90 for the tranny...A lot of people have heard negatives about the RP and porsche, but my car shifts like BUTTER and runs smooth as all...I cant even tell the car is on sometimes!! The new clutch releases almost immediately and i LOVE it!

Im putting the belt on today with my new clear tail lights and evo intake
I am also going to get a sound clip of the Tubi exhaust that everyone wants here shortly...

I hope you guys enjoyed, and maybe will start to feel comfortable with DIY projects!

-Keith
Old 07-15-2006, 06:10 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job!! You are a pioneer at this DIY for RMS...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:29 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Wow you are officially my hero. That looks like a ton of work but well worth it now. What is the IMS?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Gator911
Racer

Originally Posted by vove
Nice job!! You are a pioneer at this DIY for RMS...
I do have to admit that there was one guys site that i saw with a RMS DIY writeup...Actually more of a how-to...

I had to cross reference some part #s to his write-up, but we differed on some of the tactics...

thanks guys!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:13 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Very impressive!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job, thanks for the pics and sharing.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:16 PM
munro86
Racer

Were those special tools for the RMS expensive?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 PM
heelix
Instructor

Very cool. With 38k on mine, I figure I may have a clutch in my future. So far, so good... but these things don't last forever. The pictures are worth their weight in gold.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:28 PM
heelix
Instructor

Originally Posted by munro86
Were those special tools for the RMS expensive?
I'll second that - what did everything there set you back?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Gator911
Racer

I only bought the 1 special tool, there are a couple however...

The important one is $230 or so...They sometimes can be hard to get ahold of though. When i bought mine there were only 3 stateside...

I will rent the tool to anyone who wants it...PM me for details on that...

-Keith
Old 07-15-2006, 10:08 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keith

It looks like the oil leak was from the IMS in lieu of the RMS from the photos. Below is a photo of another IMS leak. Excellent photos btw.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Gator911
Racer

I agree with you, but there was still some build up around the bottom left side of the RMS, a small one at that. You can see how dust from the clutch gathered onto the oil.

I will say that given the 2 areas and their severity of leaking, i would NOT of done this work if it were just the RMS because it wasnt severe enough...

The IMS was leaking like crazy. I used the updated version so i should be good to go.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Wow! Wish I had a lift!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Gator. I have to ask this is the fuel filter under the coolant tubes or is it under the panel and you just could reach it with out taking the under carage panel out? Also I'm just wondering how did you DIY this because you're paying for that expensive Tubi exhaust?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:36 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome Job Gator... !! great write-up.

Quick Reply: Results of my DIY Maintenance and RMS