Sponsored by:

Litronic vs Bi-Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Litronic vs Bi-Xenon

What is the difference. My 2003 996 has Bi-Xenon's according to the codes.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by CT03911
What is the difference. My 2003 996 has Bi-Xenon's according to the codes.
Litronics are the factory Xenon unit for 2001 and prior model years. Only the low beam is xenon, and (with electronics pkg) rotates up to aid the high beam halogen bulb when hi beam is selected.

Bi-Xenon is the factory install for 2002 and subsequent. Both low and hi beams are xenon lamps.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM
auriga
Advanced

Default Are Bi-Xenon's that much better?

Are the Bi-Xenon's significantly better than Litronic's when the high beam is selected?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Litronics are the factory Xenon unit for 2001 and prior model years. Only the low beam is xenon, and (with electronics pkg) rotates up to aid the high beam halogen bulb when hi beam is selected.

Bi-Xenon is the factory install for 2002 and subsequent. Both low and hi beams are xenon lamps.
Actually, Bi-Xenon was an option in '02. My '02 has low beam Xenon's only.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Actually, Bi-Xenon was an option in '02. My '02 has low beam Xenon's only.
So does my 04
Old 07-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My '04 C4S lists "Xenon Headlamp Package" (N/C) on the sticker. Can I assume this means the car has bi-xenons?

Phil
Old 07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
CT03911
Banned

Default Thanks Kim

Another mystery solved
Old 07-12-2006, 02:59 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you guys/gals really sure litronics and bi-xenon aren't exactly the same...???

HID lamps/bulbs "ignite" (strike the initial arc) quickly but do not rise to full brightness for a few hundred milliseconds so they are not likely to ever be used for high beam "flashing".

Most of the "bi-xenon" systems I have seen simply modify the beam pattern/path of the low beam HIDs upward via some electro-mechanical method.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on 99-01, does the litronic xenon light bulb lit in high beam? Or is it just high beam halogen only?

on my 02 bi-xenon, the xenon light is lit in high beam. High beam is a halogen lamp, not xenon.

i suspect the difference is whether xenon is used in high beam mode or not.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:31 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

The low-beam xenon in Litronics stays lit low or high. On high, the xenons pivot up as well as halogens turn on. I could not see how a dedicated xenon bulb would work for high beams considering the start up time. I thought the high was done either by mechanically pivoting (as in the Litronics) or some other optics. If djantlive is correct, then bi-xenon and Litronics seem to be the same.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Litronics only use HID/Xenon bulbs for the low-beams. High-beams are conventional. Bi-Xenons use the same bulbs also for the high-beams. Bi-Xenons have true HID high-beams. Bi-Xenon light output is much higher than Litronic light output, hence why the output is restricted with Bi-Xenons in low-beam mode.

Bi-Xenon, straight from Bosch:
"Bi-xenon headlamps use a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam. The full light output is used to produce the high beam, while the low beam is formed by moving a shutter between the bulb and the lens, thus blocking off a portion of the light. "
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Litronics only use HID/Xenon bulbs for the low-beams. High-beams are conventional. Bi-Xenons use the same bulbs also for the high-beams. Bi-Xenons have true HID high-beams. Bi-Xenon light output is much higher than Litronic light output, hence why the output is restricted with Bi-Xenons in low-beam mode.

Bi-Xenon, straight from Bosch:
"Bi-xenon headlamps use a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam. The full light output is used to produce the high beam, while the low beam is formed by moving a shutter between the bulb and the lens, thus blocking off a portion of the light. "
That Bosch quote does not truly clarify the issue.

Yes, the "single xenon lamp" is used for both high beam and low beam.

The quote clearly does not address nor preclude the use of a halogen bulb to enhance the high beam light pattern and provide quick "flash" capability. Which I am quite sure is the case with the earlier Litronic lights and now with Bi-xenon.

So I stand by my earlier position.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by wwest
That Bosch quote does not truly clarify the issue.

Yes, the "single xenon lamp" is used for both high beam and low beam.

The quote clearly does not address nor preclude the use of a halogen bulb to enhance the high beam light pattern and provide quick "flash" capability. Which I am quite sure is the case with the earlier Litronic lights and now with Bi-xenon.

So I stand by my earlier position.
How does this not clarify the issue? You position is clearly stated that Lintronics and Bi-Xenons are the same and they are clearly not. This is true for both the bulb output and the fact the Litronics don't have HID high-beams.

You are correct in that a halogen is also used for both lighting assemblies, but in different ways. With Litronics, the halogen is the high-beam. On flash-to-pass, the only thing that changes is the halogen turns on. When you turn the high-beams on, the halogen turns on and after they are sustained the Litronics rotate up to add fill to the lighting.

Bi-Xenons on flash-to-pass immediately open the shutters and turn on the halogens. I tested this with my car running and you can easily hear the shutter assemblies opening immediately when moving the switch forward or back. I never noticed how loud they are before (of course I wasn't listening for them). What is really interested is to unplug the connector to the halogens and see what happens to the light when they can't turn on. What you get is a very bright spotlight at a distance with high beams. The beam pattern drastically narrows when the shutters open. Directly in front of car, the light is about the same intensity (and more noticeable white) without the halogen. What you lose is the width of the beam pattern. The halogen provides all the fill to the sides. Mystery solved.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

fellas fellas... litronics is just a porsche name for an HID setup. xenon is the name of the type of gas used in the HID bulb.

So litronic and bi-xenon are one in the same except the latter simply means that it uses the same HID bulb for the high beam. you can call it bi-litronic if you want to. there's nothing special about the word litronic other than it's another marketing ploy by porsche to make it sound really cool. right?

Bi-xenon setups don't rotate up as in the lighting unit itself points up. there's a shield inside the bulb that simply lifts up so as to reveal the entire bulb v. just half of it which produces the sharp cutoff you see.

so if porsche dropped the whole "litronic" moniker, cool. bi-xenon just means it uses the HID bulbs for the high beam as well.

i think i'm confused now?

FYI, the "litronic" setups in the 996s.. happen to be one of the weaker HID setups in the market. easy to steal too.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:17 PM
wwest
Drifting

Sorry, I'm in the midst of designing a Luxeon 1 watt LED based DRL bulb/assembly to fit these 996 headlight assemblies, 99 and up "litronics", and later "bi-xenon". I have several headlight assemblies laying around that I have bought via Ebay plus I have owned a 99 with aftermarket Porsche HID and currently a 2001 C4 with factory HID. Both of these, the 99 and the 01, electro-mechanically move the HID "shutter" in high beam and flashing mode plus turn on the high beam halogen.

Might I ever so kindly suggest that if your "litronic" doesn't do the same then you have a failed "shutter" mechanism.

I think, suspect, Porsche invented this technique as a way to overcome the poor "forward" light pattern coverage resulting from the unusually low mounting level of the 996 headlamps. Or Porsche was simply the first to bring it to market, called it Litronic and then it was adopted by others but called Bi-xenon so Porsche has simply fallen in line with the rest of the crowd.

Quick Reply: Litronic vs Bi-Xenon