Sponsored by:

tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 11:46 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing, you drive a 993, right? Does this advice change at all for the 996.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:54 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, I find that most 911 cars with the heavy weight bias to the rear react about the same to tire pressure differences. Also, Porsche's factory recommended pressures have also been the same on all 911 cars for as long as I remember.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:33 PM
Dan T.
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Viken Bedrossian:
[QB]

The factory recommended "cold" 36/44 is the least understood set of pressures. This contributes to a load of understeer, harsh ride and premature rear tread (center) wear. Some say that these pressures are a must for very high sustained speeds (Autobahn) but this only means that the 44 will soon reach and exceed 50 which is too hot for the tire....QB]
Viken,
Wouldn't over inflated rear tires grip less, leading to over steer? I know when my track tires over heat, they get really "greasy." My solution is to drop the hot pressure of the axle that is not gripping. Would you expand on that? Definitely 44 psi cold would be way to high on the track.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:53 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Dan T.:
<STRONG>

Viken,
Wouldn't over inflated rear tires grip less, leading to over steer? I know when my track tires over heat, they get really "greasy." My solution is to drop the hot pressure of the axle that is not gripping. Would you expand on that? Definitely 44 psi cold would be way to high on the track.</STRONG>
Yes, of course overinflated tires will have less grip but you don't need ultimate grip when driving Autobahn speeds in a straight line.

Quick Reply: tire pressure?