Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bashed from Behind! Who should repair, Dealer or not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 08:39 AM
MikeP Long Island
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bashed from Behind! Who should repair, Dealer or not??

Yesterday, minding my own business sitting at stoplight a large moving van that was stopped behind me suddenly decided to cross the intersection without concerning himself with the fact that I was in the way and the light was still red.

Rear end of my car is bashed in pretty good, rear bumper fascia completely crushed, rear deck lid shoved into air cleaner which is shoved into engine, tailights broken and popped out of mounts.

My question: Is the dealer the best place to take the 996 for repair or should it go to an independent shop? If independent shop, anyone know a good one on Long Island?
Old 07-04-2001, 12:43 AM
ericw
7th Gear

I would go w/ dealer...you have an assurance of satisfaction, if the work or paint starts to deteriorate after some time...esp if there may be chassis or engine complications as a result of accident
Old 07-05-2001, 10:07 AM
NickA
Advanced

Hi MikeP - I owned a '00 996C2 for a brief period last year, and during that short amount of time I was hit from behind by a NYC taxi (lightly, fortunately) not 3 blocks from my house. I made the trip up to the dealer (Prestige Porsche in Nanuet) and they outsourced the work to a local body shop that did an excellent job, especially the paint work. I'm sure the folks at Silver Star (Roslyn, NY), who seem to have a good reputation with the Metro PCA members I know can point you in the right direction.

My incident is a big part of the reason why my 993TT has been in storage since November and is currently for sale.

Good luck!

- Nick
ncamos@bellatlantic.net
My 993TT for sale web page

Quick Reply: Bashed from Behind! Who should repair, Dealer or not??