Sponsored by:

Option code decryption

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 06:09 PM
pfb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Option code decryption

Can anyone decrypt these option codes for a '99 996? The dealer was able to get me the codes, but not their description. PCNA was equally unhelpful. I've checked the suncoast order guides, but these options seem to have been eliminated since '99, and I don't have any of the older order guides.

C02
M6A
P49
P72
X54
X70
Y05

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2001, 07:12 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C02: Catalytic converter
M6A
P49: DSP
P72
X54: Stainless steel exhaust pipes
X70: Stainless steel door sills
Y05: Carbon/aluminum shifter and handbrake
659: On-board computer
696: AM-FM/CD
Old 06-26-2001, 11:06 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M6A - "Black Floor Mat with Porsche lettering"

But, I don't know about the other two remaining option codes.

b-man
b
Old 06-26-2001, 11:22 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

Wow, for once in my life I know something that Viken doesn't! And, I can also supply the two missing pieces of the puzzle... what more could I want?

580 - Non Smoker package, Storage compartment instead of ash tray, cover plate instead of cigarette lighter.

P72 - Traction control with ABD.

Now that last one is quite controversial, at least as far as I'm concerned. I have a copy of the dealer's printout that describes P72 as "Traction control with ABD and Limited Slip Differential". And, I also have that option installed on my car, which is a '99 cab.

Up until about three weeks ago, I assumed I had a limited slip differential, just like the printout said. However, Chris from Germany (who runs his own 996 web board) swears that NO 996's have ever been made with LSD, and that is all marketing BS. We went back and forth on this several times, with me even posting a quote from this board from someone who critized the 996 LSD as being a cheap unit. But Chris sticks to his guns, saying there is no such thing. Short of taking my car apart, I don't know how to resolve it. Viken, do you (or anyone) know the answer to this? Is there really such a thing as a 996 factory LSD option?

And if you want to see the post that discusses the 996 LSD unit, see the post by Mike Schuster under the subject on this board titled "LSD for 996". (You may have to back one page into the list of subjects, since its been a little while)

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: CarlosR ]
Old 06-27-2001, 12:12 AM
Ofer
Advanced

It's funny that you mention that whole thread, because just a couple days ago I was thinking about it. I never could remember how all that was resolved. CFG is very knowledgeable. Could a U.S. only option have slipped by him? Probably not. Look for the rear end microfiche. that should have some footnotes,part numbers or pictures.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:23 AM
pfb
Track Day

My understanding is that their is no actual limited slip, but just the ABD acting as a virtual limited slip. I'm 100% sure this is the way it is in the Boxster, but only 90% sure on the 996. What happens when you lift the rear end and turn a wheel by hand? Does the opposite side turn in the same direction (LSD) or opposite (Open)?
Old 06-27-2001, 12:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche claims that LSD/ABD was indeed available for MY '99. They supposedly changed the differential design for '00 and adopted PSM. I have no way of verifying this but I don't see how Porsche could claim LSD when there is none. Anyone who understands transmission innards could easily tell whether or not LSD exists. The likely person to know is Paul Guard of Guard Transmission.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:46 PM
Chris Johnson
Intermediate

pfb's suggested test for limited-slip by jacking the rear end and turning one wheel should be an almost foolproof way of finding out. If you get a chance to try it, Carlos, let us know!
Old 06-28-2001, 12:18 AM
CarlosR
Instructor

I like the suggested test. I will try to do it this weekend, as I will be changing tires for an autocross, so will have to jack the car up anyhow. I don't usually jack both rear tires up at once, but it's worth doing for this purpose. I'll report back with my findings.
Old 06-30-2001, 11:40 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

Ok, I did the test and guess what: both wheels turn in the SAME direction! According to PFB, that means I really DO have LSD, which is great news!

Now, can someone explain to me why the wheels would turn the same way with LSD and opposite ways with standard differential? (I think I have a vague feel for it, but I'd like to have it down cold)

=Carlos=

Quick Reply: Option code decryption