Sponsored by:

996 Rear Plastic Window Seperating from Cab Top

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 PM
D-Train
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Rear Plastic Window Seperating from Cab Top

My 01 996 Cab's rear plastic window is seperating from the middle top area of the fabric top. I spoke to the dealer about this, thay said they can install a brand new rear window ($1,300.00) I think. My question is, can someone reseal or reheat the plastic window and get the window/top to look ok again, or am I destined to spead $1,300 at the dealer for a new window. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by D-Train
My 01 996 Cab's rear plastic window is seperating from the middle top area of the fabric top. I spoke to the dealer about this, thay said they can install a brand new rear window ($1,300.00) I think. My question is, can someone reseal or reheat the plastic window and get the window/top to look ok again, or am I destined to spead $1,300 at the dealer for a new window. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
My dealer in Atlanta said there was no way to repair this. He sent me to a independent upholstery shop where I had an entire new top installed for $1900. German, but not OEM. Only difference between the two is that this aftermarket top has stitching around the rear window .... as well as the factory glue job.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Def get it sewn in after it is installed. But $1300 sounds insane for JUST the window! The window (from Porsche) is something like $450. So they want to charge you $850 for installation???

I had my to replace (and window) last year and would just need to dig up my reciept. I bought the parts from an out of state dealer and had my local dealer do the install.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:14 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealers send the cars out to an upholstery shop....My Boxster had a new window done for $350...My 996 needs one but I may go for a whole new top....If not a place down the street from my office restores Porsches and they can do it for under $500.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:59 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey, Dell, what the hell? A newbie... first post... and all we know is he has a n '01 cab with a window problem, and you didn't ask him for an intro? What seems to be the problem? You too caught up in "dumpster diving" these days to make any waves?

D-Train - it is customary for newbies to introduce themselves and tell us a little about their cars and post a pic! Maybe post up a pic of your car and the problem spot? Anyway, welcome to the best Porsche site on the 'net! Sorry about the window problem.

I would recomment taking it to an upholstry shop to see what they have to say. They may be able to re-glue it then sew the entire perimiter of the window. My sister had the rear window replaced in her soft top (not a Porsche) by an upholstry shop for $200. FYI
Old 03-27-2006, 09:34 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You can always try these guys. I've heard good thing about their products.

http://www.gahh.com/996-cabriolet-20..._339_2991.html
Old 03-27-2006, 11:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Tim....I didn't even notice it! #*!@#&~^&*$%@#$

Alright, everybody stop posting until we get an intro and pics!

*the crowd chants*.....pics, pics, pics, pics, pisc, pics, pics.....
Old 03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
Tim....I didn't even notice it! #*!@#&~^&*$%@#$

Alright, everybody stop posting until we get an intro and pics!

*the crowd chants*.....pics, pics, pics, pics, pisc, pics, pics.....
Now THAT"S the Dell we have all come to know and love!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I must be slipping. Thanks for keeping me in check
Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
I must be slipping. Thanks for keeping me in check
We know that you are getting ready to exit "Sand City" to come to a place where the landscape is green, so we can cut you a little slack!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
996 Jammy
Instructor

I've been doing some research as well on cab tops as mine will need replacing soon. Got local quotes in the $1800 range(incl. headliner)...so for $500 more, u might as well get the entire top done at the same time unless its in great shape.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:25 PM
oceanbluecab
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a new plastic window stitched on my still very good OEM top 2 years ago and it is holding up very well. It was less than $500 and most of it was labor. Thay had to remove the top in order to stitch the window.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Paraphrasing the TSB #4/05 dated June 25, 2004 "Convertible Rear Window Bonding Loose"

If the bonding seam of the rear window has only detached from the convertible-top covering in one place, the area of detachment is no longer than 10mm and no other bonding points on the inside of the convertible-top covering are loose, the bonding of the rear window can be rewelded. Otherwise the flexible rear window has to be replaced. If the bond of the fold or the zipper has detached, the convertible top covering must be replaced by the convertible top covering with a sewn-in flexible rear window.

With MY02 Porsche switched to a stitched rear window?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:16 PM
D-Train
AutoX

I promise to post some photos tomorrow. I stopped by a speed shop yesterday and mentioned the stiching suggestion, and he just kind of looked at me and said oh I guess that would work. His suggestion was glue from a glue gun. Where / how do I find someone local to do the stiching and do they need to take the top off. The area in question still has a good seal from the plastic to the interior of the top, it is the exterior of the top staying down on the flexible window.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

I promise to post some photos tomorrow. I stopped by a speed shop yesterday and mentioned the stiching suggestion, and he just kind of looked at me and said oh I guess that would work. His suggestion was glue from a glue gun. Where / how do I find someone local to do the stiching and do they need to take the top off. The area in question still has a good seal from the plastic to the interior of the top, it is the exterior of the top staying down on the flexible window.
It is the issue you describe, exterior top flap coming un-glued from the area surrounding the plastic window ... that is the subject of the TSB, and the issue I had also. There was no actual leak from outside to inside, either wind or rain. As the TSB says, if it is a short enough span, the flap can be glued .... otherwise, no go.

Mine was unglued along the complete bottom edge. Once it started, it looked like an airscoop while the car was moving, and spread rapidly. Both the upholstery shops I went to in the Atlanta area said they would have to remove the top, stitch around the entire window, and not guarantee the results. Cost estimates were approx. $600 .... all for labor.

The shop the Porsche dealer sent me to put on the all new top for $1900. All things considered, I felt this to be the better move.

Quick Reply: 996 Rear Plastic Window Seperating from Cab Top