Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 996 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 03-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
DaveyW
New User

Default Best Tires for 996 Cab

I have 2002 996 Cab with Bridgestone Potenza S03 225/40ZR15's on front and 285/30ZR18's on rear.... They seem to ride very hard and I have had problems with keeping the proper air pressure, causing damage to the tires resulting in ruining balance and the shake and shimmy of a motown song .... Any suggestions for a slightly "softer" ride? This is my day to day transport and I don't plan any track time in the near future.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

DaveyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
jsaindc
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are not going to track the car go with an OEM street tire like Continental Sport Contact II or Pirelli P Zero. Great for the street, softer, quieter but still holds well.
jsaindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
rayscar
User

Good choice jsaindc, I just purchased Continental Sport Contact rear tires for my 1999 cab from Tirerack. size > 265/35/ZR18. Price was $216 / tire plus shipping (under $20.00)
rayscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Kims996Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyW
I have 2002 996 Cab with Bridgestone Potenza S03 225/40ZR15's on front and 285/30ZR18's on rear.... They seem to ride very hard and I have had problems with keeping the proper air pressure, causing damage to the tires resulting in ruining balance and the shake and shimmy of a motown song .... Any suggestions for a slightly "softer" ride? This is my day to day transport and I don't plan any track time in the near future.
I use my car as a daily driver and for highway trips. I am very happy with my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s. Good, quiet ride. Great grip for agressive driving. Appear to be wearing very well. Car & Driver rated them #1 in their Dec 05 performance test.
Kims996Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Robert Iadanza @RobertIadanza iadanza Riad

I have Pilot Sports, at first I wasn't crazy about them but I think they wear well and are quiet.
The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!
Riad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
911mz
User

hows the thread on Pirelli p zero vs Bridgestone ?
911mz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the sport contacts on my Audi S4, and they were complete garbage. They didn't hold well and they wore way too quickly. I'm very happy with the P Zeros on my car.

Granted the Audi is a totally different car, but just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!

Chirag
8202632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Robert Iadanza @RobertIadanza iadanza Riad

I had 4 sets of P-Zeros on my 2001 and I found they wore out much faster than the Pilot Sports, but they are great tires.
The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!
Riad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyW
I have been through Bridgestone S-03s, Pirelli Rosso N-4s, and Bridgestone S-02As on my '02 Cab. I have gone through Conti SportContact 2s and Rosso N-5s on other cars.

The S-03, IMO, was the softest out of all of the tires. They were really good in the wet but felt really rubbery when new... as in "not very precise". And, the S-03s got REALLY noisy as they wore.

I have found the S-02A to be very precise and good in the wet. They're still very new, but they ride very quiet, too. "Comfort" is a relative term. SportContact2 was a little softer IMO, too.

RE losing pressure, you have a problem. A slow leak due to a puncture, a faulty valve stem, a defective tire, or perhaps a cracked rim. You shouldn't be losing pressure.
05 GT3 - no whoosh
06 Pepper - Got trailer lights?
07 997TT - yes whoosh

To my brutha Mikelly: "I gots a dolla burning a hole in my pocket!"
RJFabCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
yetis
User

I vote for S02A's. I have been itching to try the new Advans though.
yetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
BlackCab996
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I first bought my car, I was complaining of "front end wobble" and I had my tires balanced twice. The technician kept talking about how hard my tires are to keep in balance (I have Pirelli P Zeros). Well, I replaced my front rims (the dealer agreed to split the cost with me) and the car drives and rides great. I now really like the tires. I've only put 3k on them, so I can't comment no tread wear (the backs still look great, but it's early...). The tires seem to be a great balance of comfort and performance. I live in LA and can't comment on performance in the rain, as I keep it in the garage on those rare, wet days. Good luck.
BlackCab996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
955tt, 996, balance, cabriolet, carrera, carreras, free, hard, price, recommend, riad, rides, shipping, tire, tires