Sponsored by:

litronic projector beam adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:06 PM
catnmouse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default litronic projector beam adjustment

Hi, recently replaced my halogens with the litronic xenon factory units, which if bought from the factory, has an adjustment to move the projector beam depending on speed, does any one know how to manually adjust this angle, to set it and forget it, I saw a rotary switch inside the housing with about 8 points and some abbreviations on it, is this the thing, can my ecu drive this or how do i change it manually. thanks for help from anyone that has this swap.....cnm
Old 02-26-2006, 01:20 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by catnmouse
Hi, recently replaced my halogens with the litronic xenon factory units, which if bought from the factory, has an adjustment to move the projector beam depending on speed, does any one know how to manually adjust this angle, to set it and forget it, I saw a rotary switch inside the housing with about 8 points and some abbreviations on it, is this the thing, can my ecu drive this or how do i change it manually. thanks for help from anyone that has this swap.....cnm
Their is no automatic leveling with the Litronics Retrofit Kit -- the auto-leveling only comes with the factory installed Litronics. You would have to adjust Litronic the beams the same way you adjust the halogen beams (there are left-right and up-down adjustments). Check your owner's manual for instructions.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:20 PM
catnmouse
Intermediate

Thanks, thats what I was thinking, right now they are aimed dead on, i was thinking about aiming them higher for more distance...i.e. i leveled the car and faced my garage door cnm
Old 02-26-2006, 05:29 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

that sounds like a good idea in principle, but make sure you dont aim them so high as to blind oncoming drivers.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size is that hex? Try'd with the tool supplied did not seem to fit.
Thanks,
Old 02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by programmatore
Their is no automatic leveling with the Litronics Retrofit Kit -- the auto-leveling only comes with the factory installed Litronics. You would have to adjust Litronic the beams the same way you adjust the halogen beams (there are left-right and up-down adjustments). Check your owner's manual for instructions.
Just as a follow-on, assuming your car is pre-02, and you are not talking about bi-xenon headlight units:

The litronic retrofit kit will, if you install the electronic controller and wiring, include the feature of rotating the xenon (low) beam up to add to the halogen high beam when you select hi-beam on your lights. Its a very nice feature, and makes for a much brighter hi-beam picture.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:42 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait a minute, I HAVE a 2000 with litronics and I don't see a rotating dial to adjust the beam at all. I recall reading in a prior post that adjustable xenons was not an option in the US. Kim, did I somehow misinterpret what you wrote....or, is this adjustability only available on the retrofit kit?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by nycebo
Wait a minute, I HAVE a 2000 with litronics and I don't see a rotating dial to adjust the beam at all. I recall reading in a prior post that adjustable xenons was not an option in the US. Kim, did I somehow misinterpret what you wrote....or, is this adjustability only available on the retrofit kit?
Clearly, I wasn't clear. So much for clearing that all up.

1. To my knowledge, only non-US cars have the manually adjustable headlight beam that is controlled by the rotating ****.

2. The feature to which my post referred is an automatic adjustment in which the low beam zenon lamp rotates its position upward to complement the position of the halogen hi-beam. No action taken by the driver (other than to select hi-beam), and no rotating **** to play with.

It is my understanding that this is the feature gained by installing the electronic controller & wiring that comes with a 98-01 Litronic factory retrofit kit.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Kim, great explanation. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can the adjuster **** be retrofitted into a 99 OEM lightronics equipped C4? Was driving in Europe at christmas in a B class mercedes which had it and it was very nice to have that feature.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by an02boxster
Can the adjuster **** be retrofitted into a 99 OEM lightronics equipped C4? Was driving in Europe at christmas in a B class mercedes which had it and it was very nice to have that feature.
Judging from the wiring and electronic controller that came with my domestic retrofit kit, I would say that, in addition to the rotating **** itself, one would need a ROW controller module ... as opposed to the one furnished domestically. The controller I installed did not appear to have any extra, unused input terminals that could accept the manual adjustment signal from the rotary ****.

Just my impression.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't figure out what you folks are talking about.

This is the inside of a lit headlight.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
catnmouse
Intermediate

Well this is getting interesting, I didnt know there was so much to these light units, Ive seen this mechanism work on an Mitsubishi evo 8 and it is a nice feature, as for my litronic swap, i never saw a controller or any other stuff for it, though there is a plug installed on the headlamp housing for something.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by catnmouse
Well this is getting interesting, I didnt know there was so much to these light units, Ive seen this mechanism work on an Mitsubishi evo 8 and it is a nice feature, as for my litronic swap, i never saw a controller or any other stuff for it, though there is a plug installed on the headlamp housing for something.
Did you buy an OEM Litronic Retrofit kit?

Mine came with, in addition to the 2 new light units:

000 044 900 38 - Headlight Control Unit with mounting hardware, and
996 612 988 00 - Electrical wiring harness with 2 4-pin plugs
+ assorted hardware & connectors

It is this controller & wiring that rotates the xenon low beam up to join the halogen high beam when hi beam is selected.

Quick Reply: litronic projector beam adjustment