Sponsored by:

Ztek and Fabspeed exhaust install w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ztek and Fabspeed exhaust install w/pics

I did the install this evening everything went smooth! I started with the Mufflers out since I had Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes. The removal of the mufflers is a 30-45 minute job. Last weekend I pulled removed the headers 30 minute job. To make the job easier I ordered new header bolts, new gaskets, and new muffler to cat clamps. I had the Zero-tek mufflers and headers which were delivered about a week ago. I did not want to do the install until I had all of the parts. So I figured it was not going to happen this weekend. To my surprise when I got home this afternoon I found that Fedex dropped off the remaining pieces Fabspeed cat bypass pipes and Fabspeed V clamps for the tips.

The entire install (Mufflers and headers were out) including removing the cats as they were still in took 3 hours. I do have air tools which made my life a bit easier. A couple things that you need to thinks about when doing this install. I would call this a 4-5 hour job tops. Of course if I did it again I could cut that down to about 3-31/2 hours knowing the things that could have been avoided.

- use zip ties to hold the header gasket while you get the header bolts started. clip after you get 2 bolts in.
- Header bolts are Torque to 19Lbs
- Use liquid wrench on all bolts prior to removal (This especially includes the 02 sensors)
- Screw in the 02 sensors on the cat bypass before you tighten the hanger clamps and bolt to the header
- when removing or installing the mufflers a ratchet type wrench comes in handy (If you are on a small tool budget, I saw that Costco sells these for about $25 for a set) The bottom nut would be a bitch without it. The top nuts are a snap especially with an air ratchet.
- No brainer of the day make sure you install the header bolts by hand I used a long socket and extension to start them.
-You may (it is easier)have to unbolt the two 10mm bolts holding a water line to get to one of rear header bolt on the passenger side.
- My fabspeed Cat bypass pipes did not come with hardware (May have been an oversight) I did use the 6 of the old header bolts and new nuts. So you might need some additional hardware.

Tools I used:

13mm tall and short socket (Headers bolts, mufflers nuts, Cat nuts)
10mm short socket (H20 Hose, V clamps)
17mm short socket (Cat/muffler clamps)
1/4 socket wrench
1/4 Air socket wrench
long extension
20mm wrench ( 02 sensor)
13mm ratchet wrench
zip ties and wire snips

Oh how does it sound??? PERFECT!!! In no way is it as loud as the Stock headers, Cats, and Muffler bypass. The tone is very raspy and mean. I had the PSE on my 01 996 this sounds very similar yet different maybe a little louder but the growl sounds deeper hard to explain. No CEL yet. I got done around 7:30 so I only took it around the block. I plan on taking the car out on a drive tomorrow to get a better feeling for the sound and the seat of my pants feel if any. The appearance is KILLER! I have it in my plans to detail the engine, I just have not gotten to it. All and all so far I am very happy with the setup. $1600 for a full exhausts back to the engine and dropping 48Lbs is a great value!

BIG THUMBS UP to Fabspeed and Ztek all of the parts fit togeather perfectly. This was one of my fears, that the fitment would be off on one or more of the parts. Everything went togeather perfectly. Nice and snug!

Here are some pics I will take better shots tomorrow and continue the review...

Old 01-15-2006, 01:08 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Pics of the Ztek Mufflers and headers.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 06-26-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks good, why not just go with fabspeed all the way, to have a matched system?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very question I was going to ask Chris

Either way, killer looking system!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:15 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

I took the $999 Ztek challenge/gamble. The bypass pipes were an afterthought. All Fabspeed would have been $3200+ compared to the $1600 I spent...

I sold the fabspeed Muffler bypass pipes/tips I had and planned to spend $1500 for PSE which I loved when I had it before. I was curious as the product looked good from the photos they had posted. I think the moral of the story is that you don't always have to be taken advantage of just because you have that gold crest on your hood. I am pretty sure if Ztek made bypass pipes they would not be much different then the Fabspeeds. They are pretty simple in design your connecting point A to point B and there is little room to do it. So I am not sure what a matched system would achieve?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:41 AM
Piersin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done, I really like that setup. 50lbs is a lot actually. Most of all I'm glad you like it. Interesting that it's milder than the bypass pipes only. So any chance of a dyno? Does it feel any faster? Are the headers lighter than the stock? How much weight do the cats save? Sorry for all the questions.

Looks really nice. I might have to get that just to save weight.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:33 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice write-up. Exhaust "system" looks good! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:17 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

i'm guessing that it doesn't sound much louder to you since you're coming from muffler bypass tips. i am quite sure if you had had mufflers on there previously, you'd say there was a considerable diff in volume with the addition of headers and cat bypasses. the cats trap a lot of sound and the headers bump the volume up quite a bit as well.

nice write up and great pics. the stuff looks very nice installed. that stuff always looks so good when it's new. i wouldn't bother with the engine detail. all those shiny pieces will be brown in two weeks

what kind of tips are those? i really like them and i'm in the market for a set myself.

i'm shocked your car did not trigger a CEL immediately with no cats. that is very strange. keep you fingers crossed
Old 01-15-2006, 11:53 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Expect a CEL soon I'm afraid.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:09 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Expect a CEL soon I'm afraid.

First hand experience with your own car or speaking to something you just read?

All of the research I have done I read that CEL is not guaranteed to come on. Some people have stated they have never had a problem or others when they did the CEL code was removed and it took the CEL a while before reapearing. No matter what thanks to DD I have a OBDII reader coming so it should not be an issue.

It's loud but not as loud as the Muf bypass and cats. I think it would make a great setup if you could not take the noise level of the muf bypass.

I forgot to weigh the Cat bypass but they say 20Lb less then the stock cats.

Header weighs 6Lbs and Mufflers weigh 15Lbs (Each)

Tips are Tequipment I had them on my old car and loved them fortunatley they were on this car when I bought it. That was my number one gripe about the fabspeed bypass the tips. They were small and ugly IMHO also they stuck out further. These are nice and fat looking.

I plan on running it on a Dyno, TimW said he would record a sound clip so we are going to set that up sometime soon. Maybe today.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:46 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll have to start shopping for those tips. They look sharp.

With regards to the CEL, I don't see how you could not get one. I know it's 50/50 with the high flow cats, but with the bypasses I don't see how it wouldn't trigger a CEL immediatley. If the oxygen sensors are back there to at least partially monitor the cat's performance, removing the cat's altogether should trip it instantly once your car gets up to temperature. Have you put some mileage on it yet?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

My friend had them on a '03 car, instantly got a CEL repeatedly, ended up taking them off (cat bypass pipes).
Old 01-15-2006, 11:36 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

50+ miles this afternoon had the car through all RPM range, gears and had her up to 120. No CEL. I try and find a dyno this week. TimW and I will be meeting up this week to record a sound clip.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:43 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

I did another 30 mile drive today still no CEL. I am loving the sound, Tim and I will be meeting up this week to record some sound clips.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 06-26-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM
MGS996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also looking to install a new exhaust system on my 99-996. Up until reading your thread I was going with 100% Fabspeed. Are you able to advise contact details for soucing Ztek components?

Quick Reply: Ztek and Fabspeed exhaust install w/pics