Sponsored by:

EIGHTY FOUR "84" 996 Engine Replacements Due to NON-RMS Related Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EIGHTY FOUR "84" 996 Engine Replacements Due to NON-RMS Related Issues

after all this talk about engine replacements on the 996 (and of course having two of my engines blow up on me) due to non-rms related issues, i decided to take the liberty and do a search through three internet forums for the past two years in relation to engine replacements not related to rms... since it appears, many on this board, believe the 996 faulty engine theory to be a myth...

so i decided to spend 30 minutes looking under just three forums.. including this one.. to see how many online 996 forum visitors have had to have their engines replaced due to NON-RMS related issues..

(if I added the RMS as a reason for a replacement to the statements below, it would be too high to count..)

now after reading this, all of you 996 engine-failure "mythers" might want to rethink your past belief in the 996 engine...

considering maybe 2-3% of 996 owners ever post on these 3 forums.. these statements aren't counting the rest of the 97% of owners or so that don't ever visit these forums on the internet......

maybe this will put it all in perspective for those that seem to believe these cars have bulletproof engines... these are exact statements, each quoted all from "different" individuals and "different" 996s... read on and take what you see as you wish... nothing below is my opinion.. simply a copy and paste of just a few of the posts archived about the 996 engine from the past couple of years i put together in 30 minutes of research on non-rms related engine replacements..

take it as you wish...

-----------

"I also had an engine go out on me at 30,000. My warrenty had expired a year earlier for years, millage was good to 50k. I took it back to the dealer they put in an engine for $8000. Said that was half price. I am looking for others who have had this same problem with the 99 engine. A independent porsche shop said they had 99 engines stacked up at the porche dealers afew years back. First I think the head gasket goes an you start getting oil in the coolant. The dealer attempted to fix it twice and the engine just blew up a few weeks later. If you have had a similar problem please write back. I think porsche of america owes us all new engines for free." - pklauser

"I am waiting on the new engine to be shipped from Germany. Also, what are my options in this case? In terms of getiing rid of this car for Porsche's expense." - igor

"The engine on my 996 C2 cab had to be replaced.... it blew because of a coolant leak, also lots of problems afterwards with the water pump and similar....." - RoTTie

"I recently had the engine blow on my 2002 Carerra with 4100 miles (Tip). I have now heard of two other people who had the same problem, one at 2100 miles and one at 3500. Seems to be a pattern. Porsche wants to replace the engine and I want a new car. The guy who had his blow at 2100 miles got a new car. Has anyone else had this problem or know of anyone who did. Please e-mail." - Bob Scott

"I would assume everyone has their own opinion on this question. I am the recipient of a 99-996-C2 with a brand spanking new motor at only 35K. I purchased the car (my 1st Porsche) from a friend who bought a Cayenne a month after replacing the motor. The car was flawless and garage kept (at home and at work). ALL repairs and maintenance was performed at the dealer (including tire replacement) and the motor still went bad." - brianp

"i have a 99 996 and i had my engine replace last month." - Maxeemum

"The M96 engines ever since 1997 have been blowing. I know personaly some guys at the club who had their engines blown. Two weeks ago a 2001 3.4L blow the engine, oil in the coolant. I went to see the car, the engine was out and the mechanic told us it was a normal failure on this engines, he has seen dozens and dozens. make a little search on rennlist and you´ll be amazed at the number of stories with blown engines on this cars." - J.Seven

"In my '02 996 I had my engine replaced. Twice. Both times under warranty. Ah, and also the transmission (once)." - nicoff

"I have a 99 c4 with 49k miles I was driving "spiritedly" the other day and my transmission literaly blew apart Evidently, I'm going to need and entirely new transmission AND engine! The parts alone are 30k! i think that a good portion of the cost they quoted me comes from the fact that my transmission case is not reusable. The service manager said that I would have no core to exchange for a rebuilt transmission and I would have to buy a new one." - ronc4

"All I said was that a significant number of 996's have had premature engine failures, here's a list of some rennlisters who have had it happen to them! Waz's - 996 six months after he sold it Cydog- 10,000 miles galinskie-11,000 miles Bob scott- 4400 miles climber-15,000 miles Micheal Elmore- one of his buddy's at 300 miles! - jsonnen

"I had an electrical fire yesterday in my engine compartment. I have a 1999 996 C2. Very scary luckily I managed to contain it." - adamhevey

"Wow, talk about a suprise....had the 996 towed to Pfaff for a strange rattle in engine area yesterday...today the service mgr calls to let me know a new engine is on its way from Germany... So...car is an 2002 Targa with 18,500 km on it (12k miles for my American friends) Porsche dealer will be tgiving me a letter which states that the engine was replaced due to manafacturing defect. " - carbon_00

"my C4S's motor was replaced at 13k." - mooty

"A co-worker of mine has a '99 Aero coupe that recently (within the past 6 months) suffered an engine failure." - Cajun

"The engine on my 2002 C2 Cab bit the dust at 10,000 miles... The crankshaft pulley guide pin broke off. At first PCNA was going to replace it with a re-built engine, but the dealer from whom I had bought it used (Paramount Porsche) got involved and helped PCNA see the light... Kinda looks bad when a $105k sticker car takes a dump at 10,000 miles. They replaced it with a new engine (not re-built)." - cydog

"My 11,000 mile 03 C4S is a semi-daily driver and just had a complete engine replaced under warranty (mostly). The intermediate shaft bearing failed. Previously it had an RMS replaced. It's a fabulous car to drive but when the warranty expires I don't want to own it. In my view if you really want to enjoy a P car, then lease a new one for only as long as the warranty period. Then lease another one. You'll get a great night's sleep. TW" - tedwentz

"Engine replaced at 8k miles! At one point in time, Porsche was replacing engines at a rate of ~200 per month. Not sure about todays rate, but it scares me." - chris walrod

"13,500 miles. Intermediate shaft let loose. Engine replaced with new. Car used more for trips and enthusiastic driving than around town." - threeOh

"Well, I was not so lucky with the valve spring theory. Turns out, the mechanic thinks that I have a bad bearing on the intermediate shaft. He found metal shavings in the oil and filter. The car still runs, but makes a rattling noise. I have only driven it up on a trailer and off again. He says he can get me a replacement engine from Porsche for $6995, plus installation!" - byron in ms

"have a 99' 996 convertible with 17K miles. My coolent light started blinking. I bring it to the dealer (still under warranty) and he tells me it needs a new engine." - chad

"Mine is the one that needs the engine. You can have it for CHEAP. I have owned the car a little over a year, it has never had any mods and I pamper it - usually with a car seat in the front. The problem occured while sitting in my garage. I too thought I was in the clear regarding this problem with 50,000+ miles, even though I do not have past service records (not for lack of trying though). Believe me, if it can happen to me (a guy who drives 7,000 miles a year while driving it every day) it has to be more likely to happen to a car that is mod'd out and is driven hard often." - joes c4 cab" - mht

"This is my very first post as I am not even a Porsche owner yet. I am about to buy a 1999 C4 with 34k. The car looks and drives like new. The owner is an avid and active PCA member and has several Porsches. I get all of the warm and fuzzies from the guy. My only concern is that at 27k it went in for service and the entire engine ended up being replaced with a brand new one" - SDC4

"I have an 01 6spd. The only major problem was the engine had to be replaced due to a defect in the main bearings." - Bobby

"My buddy had his 996 engine swapped at 6K miles" - Kevin Deal

"I recently had the engine on my 04 C4S replaced, the car had the X51 option originally, is there any way I can tell if the replacement engine has the X51 internals. warranty repair, intermediate shaft broke. Thanks for your replies." - Porsche996

"I wouldn't go as far as to say it "doesn't blow up". Why did European Car have engines blow (yes, really blow) in two separate long term 996s?": - stiles_s

"My 99 {bought used} blew its engine on the track. Didn't tear down engine {just replaced with crate motor} so not sure exactly what happend, but probably a combo of hard track driving without engine oiler upgrade and some engine gasket in the oil pickup {found during removal} did the trick." - pete01_996

"I had a replcement due to a non-RMS issues (they still don't know what happened, or haven't told me but the engine let go -- I think it had a slightly cracked block when I got it from the Porsche dealer, but what do I know)." - ledzec

"99 996 mixing cooland and oil within the engine!!!" - CameronTX

"The engine on my 03 C2 was replaced 2 weeks ago (19K on original engine)." - sqlb

"Dealer called, oil if full of sleves, can´t believe this happened. The bill with a reconstruction engine from Porsche is 8500Euros plus labour. I´m devasted, car has 55000Km/3400Miles always assited at the dealer, this is cleary a faulty design from the engine that we as clients should not accept. Porsche should support this expense, but my car is from 1999 and here in Europe the warranty is only for two years so I´m sure they will show me the finger (excuse me for the bad linguage but I´m really pissed off)" - origany

"had the engine replace in 2002 in 2001 996." - tom 77

"Hi there I Live in southern california, and was wondering if anyone could help me out on getting my 1999 996 motor rebuild. I took my car to Walters porsche in riverside and they told me i would need to buy a new complete motor at the price of over 13K." - cyberstock1

"so... a 2 weeks ago I heard a knocking sor of metal on metal sound coming from the engine. I called the dealer, a flat bed was dispatched and a few days later I was told that it was a "bad intermediate bearing" Porsche AG decided the easiest way to fix it was to swap out the ENGINE!!!!." - jbdmd

"Engine out and covers off, found that a bearing on the bottom input / auxiliary shaft has collapsed and has ruined the casings and sent metal fragments around the engine. There is no sight of over heating or blueing of the bearings. Now awaiting a new engine and an even more than hefty bill than the last one." - drive my 996 hard

"I don't really want to spend $8k since I just bought the car a few weeks ago and won't be reimbursed for the engine until litigation is complete. I took the car to a Porsche dealer for a problem and they didn't put any oil back in the car. Crank bearings are everywhere in the engine." - rhunt

"I just had a new from porsche remanufactured engine installed. The original one had 50K miles and had a intermedate shaft break. So thinking a new remanufactured with the 2 year parts only warranty would be like putting in a new engine WRONG. Now what ! My repair shop is an independent and is calling the dealer who sold us this defective engine". - photo25

"The picture is that of an engine block from taken of the inside of one of the cars that at present has undergone an independant inspection and awaiting porsches comments.It shows what happens when you get a free steam clean of the cylinder due to a cracked liner (I got a few more but cant seem to upload them on my replies!!). Its a 2000 c2, covered 23k miles not raced, fully serviced at my Porsche centre since new. The independant inspector found the fault not to be due to normal useage. Its not coverd under Porsche warranty, PAG has contributed £0 towards replacement. I need a new engine my Porsche center admit that this is not uncommon" - n4das

"My 99 996 Coupe has been at a N. Cal dealer since 11/13/02 with a mysterious engine vibration. The symptoms (seats shake, humming noise) aren't affected by clutch being in or out, nor does the AC on or off make much of a difference. Dealership said a replacement engine would be provided" - AveryII

"i currently have an 01 E-gas 3.4l engine with 15,000miles. it is missing the A/C compressor, and altinator. now my question, the engine has a cracked case" - p-tech

"My engine was replaced by Porsche at 26k miles when it blew a valve, it was replaced under warranty with a new engine." - Scott

"Dealer was very nice to tell me that car had engine replaced at 15K miles. I bought it used with about 18.5K on the car. Before i bought car, I asked another dealer about the car records, but he didn't mention engine change. Oh well, i'm not sure if an engine change is a good thing or not, but when i asked the previous owner he told me it was making strange sounds." - c2blk

"So, I take my '01 996 w/4,000 miles on it, out of storage earlier this year and find that it's leaking oil. I take it in to Porsche and find that the head & valve cover gaskets are RAINING oil. My Porsche dealers' response - "This is normal"! Maybe normal for a yugo -we're talking about an $80,000+ sports car. They replaced everything and its fine now, but alittle bothersome. Has anyone else experienced this?" - Brian

"Your car is consumming a lot of oil. If it's not leaking it, then it's burning the oil in one or more of the combustion chambers. The purpose of the compression test is to determine which cylinder(s) have a problem. I'm sorry to say that your engine may need a rebuid. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck." - fast1

"I heard of 4 such cases in Atlanta. The problem appears to be related with the new variable timing system. My dealer said that it was related to overtighntening of bearings.... He's got 4 really upset customers right now." - Jean-Marc

"I know of a car at Newport Auto Center , California that they are replacing the motor as of last week. Its either a 01 or 02 i think it was a blk cab" - swest

"My 01 C4Cab. with 9,600 miles suddenly blew so much white smoke today that it clouded the entire street & the tranny started skipping. I had to had it towed as a cop patrol was around & stopped me. As it's a long weekend in Canada I couldn't get it to the dealer until Tues. Do you folks have any experience with this & know what may have caused it? There're no warning lights signalling any problems prior to this happening. Would appreciate any input." - dtsp

"a similar account here in Va. a month ago lead to a new engine courtesy of Porsche." - Berkley

"I have a chance to buy a 2002 C2 coupe for a very good price. Only catch is that the engine was replaced at about 10K miles." - scott10s

"The dealer took the car back and said they had traced it to a faulty Oil Separator. They replaced the item, put a detergent in the coolant and told me to drive it for a few hundred miles. They then were planning to take the car back and change the coolant. About 1000miles later the car blew a coolant hose because of the volume of emulsified oil in the cooling system. Clearly the dealer had not solved the problem. The dealer has now stripped the engine and is claiming that it needs replaced (at a £13k cost!). The cause, apparantly is a crack in the cylinder liners (2!)." - Craig O

"I need some advice, I was backing out of my garage on Saturday, and my car made a horrible noise and then died. I had it towed in today, and my dealer said it was a bolt that broke off the crankshaft, and basically the engine is shot." - galinskie

"my buddies engine up here in Toronto blew and he is getting 2 years additional warranty on the motor.... I would ask for at least that." - c70Pete

"I took the car back and now the dealer says that the entire engine has to be replaced!" - Javier

"First off, I tend to frequent the M3 boards, I'm just asking this on behalf of my father, who bought an '01 996 C2 Cab. He was driving home from work the other day, on the freeway, when he gets an error message instructing him to check the alternator/battery. He starts heading for the Porsche dealer, but is still a good distance away. A few minutes later, he loses power steering. He can still drive it, but decides to get off the freeway in a mile or so and drop the car at a friends house, and borrow a car, and tow the car to the dealer the next day (It's night, dealer is closed, and a few miles away). He has slowed down to about 55mph at this point, and the engine is heating up - the tempurature gauge is not in the red, but it is higher than normal and inching up very slowly. Suddenly, red lights start flashing, temp. gauge is in the red, car is overheating. He makes his way over, exits the freeway, and begins the short trip to his friends house. Approx. 5-10 minutes after the red lights started flashing, he stops at a light, and the car dies. He is surrounded in light grey smoke, or more probably, steam. Someone calls the fire dept., thinking the car is on fire. It's not, but they open the hood to check for oil or gas leaks and there is none, but they can see the belt is no longer on the pulley. So the assumption is that the car threw a belt, and thus overheated. They're giving him a new engine." - Max Power

"My 99 cab engine's gone they want 15 k for rebuilt. Anyone know the PCA factory reps email for so cal.? Iam 2000 miles over warranty with perfect service record. Please send me to any postings that may be helpfull." - climber

"Unbelievable! So many engines with so few miles on blowing up!!! I saw another 99 blowing up its engine on a DE... Sad sad sad... especially given the fact that the previous aircooled engines seem to be indestructible. I would have hoped Porsche doing something about it... Good luck guys, I wish you all the best..." - DJF1

"Aside from the usual banter from guys/kids who don't own a Porsche or a 996. Has anyone monitored the failures of the 3.4L in a scientific manner. I'm looking fro real statistics. IE - Liner issues, cylinder faliures, is #2 the weak cylinder (see link), etc. It appears my #2 is done. Trying to decide what to do. New 3.6 motor or turbo would require a LOT of work - new harness and pedal clusters etc. Open to ideas." - racerjsz

"Looks like a new engine is on it's way...." - newport996

"Mine is replaced too." - neil.schneider

"I have a 2000 911 Cabriolet 34,000 miles. Last month the engine was overheating bigtime. When I brought it to Jack Daniels of Fairlawn NJ I was told it needed a new engine. Once the mechanic saw radiator fluid mixed with oil he knew it was the engine block. I have since had a new engine installed." - hmseiger

"I see that there is an opinion by Doc that the value will be lower if you have a remanufactured engine in place of a new one. Is there any way to substantiate that. I am in a fight with Porsche as the dealer said he would put in a new engine , but when I got it , it was a remanufactured engine." - mort

"I have now come across 2 996's for sale that have both had the engine's replaced by Porsche...one low mileage 21k and the other high mileage 76k. - sherri

"My well-priced '99 came with a fresh motor from Porsche and it detonated again (the seals) in just 15,000 miles. Porsche split the difference on the third engine. I had a few other things taken care of (top mechanism, warped rotor, clutch shudder) when they did the third engine swap so the bill was about $12k after they split the new engine cost with me." - 996Cabby

"My '02 996 was first registered in January of '02. First owner put about 14K miles on it through the summer of '03. I took delivery of the car in July of '03. Drove it for two days and the engine died. They flatbedded it to the nearest dealer where they started dismantling the engine to see what was wrong. Seems that the culprit was the cam actuators. Malfunction severly threw the timing of the engine off. decided to replace the engine with a re-conditioned one." - Nova87

"One of his cylinder sleeves lost adhesion, toasting his engine" - Jeff E.

------

now.. these are all problems not concerning RMS as far as I can tell.. maybe 2-3% of 996 owners visit these forums at most... that leaves 97% of 996 owners not being able to tell their story...

look at the mileage on these cars.. 90% of them are under 50k miles.. 75% are under 30k miles it appears.. not to mention these figures are only for 2 years of postings.. not the 8, that this vehicle has been out.. and not counting the additional 6 years of additional engine problems not researched/posted/online.. and 97-98% of 996 owners as mentioned above that don't post online...

considering engine replacements cost $12,000 to $18,000 a pop... i would think many of you would find these comments a bit disenchanting about the reliability of very very low mileage 996 engines.. as i did...

remember, there is no bias by me in this post.. these are simply cold hard factual statements made by people relating to the 996 and the engine..

comments anyone?

Last edited by bobporsche996; 01-13-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You should be banned for using that much bandwidth! I'm bored, off to bed I go.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This whole thing seems still unscientific how many where sold?
Remember pre g50 trans'
How about the 2.7 liter?
Y'all bought a very high performance auto
Porsche ... there is no substitute

Sorry to here about your probs and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for me, you and Porsche
Old 01-13-2006, 02:22 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, talk about a suprise....had the 996 towed to Pfaff for a strange rattle in engine area yesterday...today the service mgr calls to let me know a new engine is on its way from Germany... So...car is an 2002 Targa with 18,500 km on it (12k miles for my American friends) Porsche dealer will be tgiving me a letter which states that the engine was replaced due to manafacturing defect. " - carbon_00

Bob - was this post from this forum? I would love to know if carbon ever got such letter so that I could send it to PCNA concerning my engine failure.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:43 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Pfaff is in europe.. good luck, completely different entity you are dealing with than the US.. the forums i looked in were this one, 6speedonline and roadfly..

regardless of what the dealer says.. _they told me the same thing.. manufacturing defect).. since my car was out of warranty, there was nothing they could do for me.. while sympathetic... (it appeared, but who knows) that didn't help when i got the bill...
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 AM
a911driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me - Coolant light, fixed twice, white smoke, engine a mixer, out of warranty by 3 months, Porsche goodwilled remanufactured.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

And then there was the 997....

I watched a 997S engine replacement due to broken piston rings.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Pfaff is in Ontario Canada near Toronto.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:25 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the post. I wish I could be that efficient with 30 minutes of research! Sorry about your engine problems

I can't imagine how I would react if I had an engine failure. This is the only reason that I went with an additional CPO 2 year warranty.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:48 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob as I may feel your pain, Porsche is a car, and they are mechanical and they break, I think you should do a poll on how many Viper motors broke, or maybe even Ferrari. I am not sure why or how you have had two blown motors, its one of 3 things. A) Your abusing the car or the more likely
B) The people working on your car don’t know jack C) you have bad luck. I am sure its been a very frustrating situation, but on the bright side the BMW M3 motors have had way bigger problems then yours, like exploding. I think you must have real bad luck with your car. As I will never ever say any motor is bullet proof, remember the Titanic (The unsinkable) I will say this I have own many different types of cars From Corvettes, Mercedes, Ford Mustangs and other Porsches, The motor is my 996 is tough and strong, and if it breaks and if its out of warranty I will replace it. Its liking buying a house and needed new windows in 15 years, while you may not be happy to spend the money you do because that is what is required.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

i work with computers for a living.. analytical research every day, so not too hard for me.. even these amount of numbers surprised me.. if you take the average of 2 years and 84 engines listed.. we're looking at a 996 owner on these forums every 8 1/2 days having an engine needing to be replaced at $12,000 to $18,000 a pop due to a non-rms related issue...

take that statistical evidence how you want.. these posts of course are just the ones i found in 30 minutes, it could be even higher? i don't know.. i gave up searching after i found this many.. i think it proves my point quite nicely..

i searched for 993 blowups in the past 2 years, and had a hard time finding a single one, that just "randomly" needed to be replaced.. i've never been a strong 993 advocate.. but i can't help but side with choosing a 993 over a 996 if you purchase a used porsche without a cpo..

to each their own, but hopefully this information will help those looking to buy a 996 REALLY consider a CPO when buying their used porsche... it really is worth it's price in gold.. if only i had known before i bought mine... as by the quotes, we can all see, the service history doesn't really matter.. most all of these are well cared for cars with very very low mileage.. most are 10k to 15k when their engine fails.. just get a CPO.. and if you don't have a CPO, keep $15k in the bank just incase... other than that, enjoy the 996.. i've got another 8 months on my engine warranty, and you can rest assured it will be on the market well before then.. no way am i taking any chances owning this car out of warranty..

and for that 997 with the engine needing replacement... not surprising, same engine.. same problems..
Old 01-13-2006, 09:58 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche sells 20k sports cars (ex Cayenne) a year here in the states. Let's assume that they have sold cars for at least 10 years. That's at least 200k cars on the road. You mentioned 84 global cases....collected in a most unscientific manner. That's 0.042% of US cars on the road. And frankly, we know they're are more Pcars on the road than that here, and many more worldwide. It wouldn't be too aggressive to assume that they're are at least 500k Pcars on the road out there. And for good measure, let's multiply your engine explosions by 10 just to be conservative. That's still only 0.168% of cars on the road. Dude, am I missing something here?

Engine problems are a hassle. But an engine is complicated. RMS is complicated. If it were easy, it would not even be an issue. But at 0.17% of population having engine replacement (yes, I know, a dubious estimate...it's probably lower), I don't see Porsche going crazy. And don't forget that a lot of these engine problems happen under circumstances of which you and I are both unaware.

I'm not trying to belittle this situation; one would expect and hope for an engine to last a good long time. But, a lot of the conclusions stem from irrational and emotion responses. If you really thought it was an issue deserving attention, put together a class, file a motion, and force Porsche to reveal accurate information on sales and engine replacements. Until then, we're ALL just bellyaching and boasting. Many of you who have had bad experiences will vote the ultimate way next car purchase round...with your wallets. Enjoy whatever car you get next time. I have had great experiences with the M3 in the past. It's a fine car. It never had engine problems when I had it, though the e46 did have a recall...but it was handled properly though illustrating that no one makes a perfect HIGH performance engine. These cars operate at such high tolerances that the failure ratio seems surprisingly small to me all things considered.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

I understand and agree in many aspects... but by reading all the quotes above, isn't it a bit disconcerning to see the number of engine replacements needed due to faults in the engine at such alow mileage? dozens and dozens of engines needing replacement due to complete faluires below 15,000 miles of driving, due to non-rms related issues just by forum posters alone... doesn't that seem a bit high, for any modern vehicle?

it doesn't look like these individuals are abusing their cars by any means.. how much damage can you possibly cause in such low mileage? these cars are meant to be driven and driven hard..

i already paid for my repairs and am warrantied, so i'm not so concerned, nor want sympathy.. but that doesn't mean i'm not upset at what happened with porsche and the 996 engine situation relating to everyone in my or a similar situation... i'm lucky i can afford such replacements, but that doesn't make it right... like the m3, there is an inherint problem... that nobody wants to seem to recognize.. or atleast ignore from what we have seen..

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Bob as I may feel your pain, Porsche is a car, and they are mechanical and they break, I think you should do a poll on how many Viper motors broke, or maybe even Ferrari. I am not sure why or how you have had two blown motors, its one of 3 things. A) Your abusing the car or the more likely
B) The people working on your car don’t know jack C) you have bad luck. I am sure its been a very frustrating situation, but on the bright side the BMW M3 motors have had way bigger problems then yours, like exploding. I think you must have real bad luck with your car. As I will never ever say any motor is bullet proof, remember the Titanic (The unsinkable) I will say this I have own many different types of cars From Corvettes, Mercedes, Ford Mustangs and other Porsches, The motor is my 996 is tough and strong, and if it breaks and if its out of warranty I will replace it. Its liking buying a house and needed new windows in 15 years, while you may not be happy to spend the money you do because that is what is required.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

nyc,

20k sports cars a year in 1999 is about right... not sure about later dates.. but do you know how many of those are the 996 coupe and 996 cab with the m96 engine? 30% of porsche cars (not including the cayenne) sold are the 996 with the m96 engine... ask "don" who has the silver porsche with the misty license plate.. he posted figures awhile back he got from porsche..

so take 30% out of that 20k a year number you came up...

i didn't count the 986/TT/GT3/GT2.. only 30% of porsche cars sold from 98-04, excluding the cayenne sold were the C2/C4 996 with the m96 engine.. where you came up with the 10 year number, i really don't know that either? these cars have been around for half that long..

500,000 c2/c4 996s on the road? I don't think so.. do the math, and that's a total of 40,000 maybe at "most" of m96 porsches sold (6 1/2 years).. i don't know where you came up with the 500,000 number?

the boxster numbers were very high (which have their own issues which i didn't even post or research and have similar problems..) which you seemed to forget mentioning.. as well as the tt/gt3 which has sold quite a few as well.. that don't seem to have any engine problems from my research...

regardless, those statements are simply from owners postings.. i didn't even put in my experience... look at the low mileage.. don't you see anything wrong when engines fail at such extreme low mileage or is that just me?

Originally Posted by nycebo
Porsche sells 20k sports cars (ex Cayenne) a year here in the states. Let's assume that they have sold cars for at least 10 years. That's at least 200k cars on the road. You mentioned 84 global cases....collected in a most unscientific manner. That's 0.042% of US cars on the road. And frankly, we know they're are more Pcars on the road than that here, and many more worldwide. It wouldn't be too aggressive to assume that they're are at least 500k Pcars on the road out there. And for good measure, let's multiply your engine explosions by 10 just to be conservative. That's still only 0.168% of cars on the road. Dude, am I missing something here?

Engine problems are a hassle. But an engine is complicated. RMS is complicated. If it were easy, it would not even be an issue. But at 0.17% of population having engine replacement (yes, I know, a dubious estimate...it's probably lower), I don't see Porsche going crazy. And don't forget that a lot of these engine problems happen under circumstances of which you and I are both unaware.

I'm not trying to belittle this situation; one would expect and hope for an engine to last a good long time. But, a lot of the conclusions stem from irrational and emotion responses. If you really thought it was an issue deserving attention, put together a class, file a motion, and force Porsche to reveal accurate information on sales and engine replacements. Until then, we're ALL just bellyaching and boasting. Many of you who have had bad experiences will vote the ultimate way next car purchase round...with your wallets. Enjoy whatever car you get next time. I have had great experiences with the M3 in the past. It's a fine car. It never had engine problems when I had it, though the e46 did have a recall...but it was handled properly though illustrating that no one makes a perfect HIGH performance engine. These cars operate at such high tolerances that the failure ratio seems surprisingly small to me all things considered.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:30 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone notice that the vast majority of the cars listed had less than 20k miles on them and a large % around 10K or less. Wonder if these were caused by not following the proper break in recommendations.

Quick Reply: EIGHTY FOUR "84" 996 Engine Replacements Due to NON-RMS Related Issues