Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for roadtrips -- stereo upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 02:38 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting ready for roadtrips -- stereo upgrade!

The Alpine CDA-9855 head unit finally arrived after being back-ordered for a month! I'm glad that the forecast calls for rain this weekend so I can work on installing the system in the garage without distractions.

Actually, I already replaced the dash speakers two weeks ago (I couldn't wait for the back-ordered head unit). I removed the stock speakers and grills and shipped them to Rod at Car Audio Innovations to have Focal Polyglass 100V2 2-way component speakers mounted on the stock grills (Rod would have done a core exchange except he only had black grills at his shop and mine are gray). Rod turned it around pretty quickly though and I got my speakers back in less than a week along with other goodies: an Audison SRx5 5-channel amplifier and a pair of Focal Utopia 5WS subwoofers for the doors. I ordered the Alpine CDA-9855 head unit and KCA-420i iPod interface from Crutchfield.

It was amazing how just replacing the dash speakers with a pair of Focal 100V2 2-ways made the factory system sound a lot better. There was very little bass from the stock speakers. The Focals on the other hand have very clean highs and nice low bass (test track: Dave Brubeck's Take Five ). If you want a quick, easy and cheap upgrade, upgrade the dash speakers. However, I did not crank it up for fear of damaging the speakers because the stock amp was underpowered.

I can't wait to finish installing everything tomorrow! Here's the rest of the system:

Alpine CDA-9855 -- this is a new head unit from Alpine and was back-ordered for a month. I like the "glide strip" control instead of buttons. It also has 4 volt outputs for the amp.

Alpine KCA-420i -- this is Alpine's iPod interface. It allows the head unit to control the iPod and display track information on the head unit display. It is small enough that I think I can stuff it below the dash on the passenger side.

Audison SRx5 -- to be honest I never even heard of Audison until Rod told me about them. They have gotten a lot of good reviews and they are small enough to fit in the stock amp location behind the firewall in the trunk -- no need to build custom panels!

Focal Utopia 5WS -- I'll replace the door subwoofers with a pair of these. These will fit in the stock sub enclosures with minor tweaking.

Rod also supplied the speaker wires, RCA patch cables, wiring harness and antenna adapter, fuse holder, power cables -- even spades and zip ties -- along with the kit. With his detailed printed instructions (and toll free number in case I run into problems) the installation should go fairly smoothly.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rod helped me with pretty much the exact same system, minus the headunit, he's a great guy to work with. I wanted to keep the stock look of the PCM. Take your time with the install and enjoy. If you need info/pics (I documented everything, shoot me an e-mail or a pm.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Lizard1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just emailed Rob to see what he can offer for a similar job in my car? actually just looking at the speaker upgrade since my car has the MOST BUS crap thing and modding it is near impossible.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:09 PM
bavarian
Instructor

Lizard 1 - I'm in exactly the same boat. Please share any insight you get if possible.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 01:45 PM
dmgcfg
Advanced

All-
I have some more great things to say about Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations. Sent my stock speakers and grilles to Rod (2 front, 2 back, I don't have door speakers) and he mounted Focals to all 4 grilles. Replaced my CR-220 head unit with a Nakamichi CD-400 which is AM/FM and single CD supplied by Rod. He shipped the new speakers, new head unit, custom wiring harness, antenna adapter and complete instructions to me within a week. Install went smoothly with a couple of minor questions that Rod was able to answer via e-mail. Did this all for under a grand. Rod is outstanding (and a site sponsor) so support him! Thanks Rod!
Old 04-23-2005, 02:20 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Wink

Great to hear guys. I am about to pull the trigger on almost the same setup, except with a Kenwood DDX-7015 head unit. I already have sirius and a music keg, so that unit will provide a great interface for both. I also have a bluetooth kit going in the aux with phone mute. Between the stereo and the aero kit coming back from Eric next week, this thing is going to be as pimped as I need it to be (for now)!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:42 PM
jdk1
Instructor

What is involved with mounting Focals to the factory grills? Could one do this themselves or does it require extensive re-fabrication?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Rob in WA
Lifetime Rennlist

You use a dremel to cut the stock speakers from their mounts and use those over the Focals.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:05 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

if you guys don't mind me asking (since everyone seems like they are getting similar set-ups), whats the $$ damage?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:50 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you purchase your speakers locally? This weekend I pulled my speakers out so I could get a feel for the difficulty level. The Dash speakers were pretty easy but how do you get the door panels off. I pull all the clamps from the bottom to the middle but it seem something at the top was holding it on.

Originally Posted by programmatore
The Alpine CDA-9855 head unit finally arrived after being back-ordered for a month! I'm glad that the forecast calls for rain this weekend so I can work on installing the system in the garage without distractions.

Actually, I already replaced the dash speakers two weeks ago (I couldn't wait for the back-ordered head unit). I removed the stock speakers and grills and shipped them to Rod at Car Audio Innovations to have Focal Polyglass 100V2 2-way component speakers mounted on the stock grills (Rod would have done a core exchange except he only had black grills at his shop and mine are gray). Rod turned it around pretty quickly though and I got my speakers back in less than a week along with other goodies: an Audison SRx5 5-channel amplifier and a pair of Focal Utopia 5WS subwoofers for the doors. I ordered the Alpine CDA-9855 head unit and KCA-420i iPod interface from Crutchfield.

It was amazing how just replacing the dash speakers with a pair of Focal 100V2 2-ways made the factory system sound a lot better. There was very little bass from the stock speakers. The Focals on the other hand have very clean highs and nice low bass (test track: Dave Brubeck's Take Five ). If you want a quick, easy and cheap upgrade, upgrade the dash speakers. However, I did not crank it up for fear of damaging the speakers because the stock amp was underpowered.

I can't wait to finish installing everything tomorrow! Here's the rest of the system:

Alpine CDA-9855 -- this is a new head unit from Alpine and was back-ordered for a month. I like the "glide strip" control instead of buttons. It also has 4 volt outputs for the amp.

Alpine KCA-420i -- this is Alpine's iPod interface. It allows the head unit to control the iPod and display track information on the head unit display. It is small enough that I think I can stuff it below the dash on the passenger side.

Audison SRx5 -- to be honest I never even heard of Audison until Rod told me about them. They have gotten a lot of good reviews and they are small enough to fit in the stock amp location behind the firewall in the trunk -- no need to build custom panels!

Focal Utopia 5WS -- I'll replace the door subwoofers with a pair of these. These will fit in the stock sub enclosures with minor tweaking.

Rod also supplied the speaker wires, RCA patch cables, wiring harness and antenna adapter, fuse holder, power cables -- even spades and zip ties -- along with the kit. With his detailed printed instructions (and toll free number in case I run into problems) the installation should go fairly smoothly.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Rob in WA
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by evo_333
if you guys don't mind me asking (since everyone seems like they are getting similar set-ups), whats the $$ damage?

Click the link in my sig, it gives a break down of what I paid for each component. Keep in mind this was a few years ago and I did all the installation.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Did you purchase your speakers locally? This weekend I pulled my speakers out so I could get a feel for the difficulty level. The Dash speakers were pretty easy but how do you get the door panels off. I pull all the clamps from the bottom to the middle but it seem something at the top was holding it on.
I actually ordered the speakers from Rod Birch at CarAudioInnovations.com out in California. I took out my dash speakers and shipped them to him. He used the stock grilles and mounted the Focals for me. It was a pretty quick turnaround -- it took 3 or 4 days to get them back, if I remember correctly.

Gary Hurley at Hurley's Audio in Tysons (Spring Hill Road, a couple of doors up from Intersport) also carries the full range of Focals and can mount them on the grilles for you.

Finally, I believe that Tweeter carries Focal speakers now -- but you may have to mount them yourself.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Nice Programmatore, but you know thats going add a few hundred pounds to your car.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by vove
Nice Programmatore, but you know thats going add a few hundred pounds to your car.
LOL! I know but the improved sound quality is definitely worth it. I haven't gotten around to installing the PSE yet so I just blast this MP3 (click here) and my car feels a lot quicker.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Sounds great, Programmatore! You guys are inspiring me to upgrade my ****-poor stock '99 stereo system. I'll wait until I'm done with the body panels and suspension and then look this stuff up again. I'm great with mechanical stuff but not so great with stereo stuff... I may end up asking for some advice, methinks.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for roadtrips -- stereo upgrade!