Sponsored by:

tiptronic shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tiptronic shifter question

I was wondering if someone here could let me know when the 996 tiptronic changed from being able to be shifted in Manual mode with either the steering wheel buttons or the stick-shifter to just being shifted with the steering wheel buttons (as I believe it remains to this day with the 997) with no shifting ability on the "stick". Did the change coincide with the engine change (3.4 to 3.6) or anything else?

Thanks! --Jonathan
Old 12-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shift buttons have always been on the steering wheell, as it has on the Boxster. In fact I think it started in the last years of the 993 or at least there is a retrofit kit for the 993.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I had a 993, so I could shift at the wheel or with the stick.

I was wondering how long the 996 came in that arrangement too. At what point - what year - could you no longer shift at the stick, manually and ONLY use the wheel buttons?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year can you shift on steer wheel without putting the shifter in manual mode? On my 02, you can shift via button at anytime without selecting manual first. Is that something new in 2002?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:25 AM
AD996
Intermediate

I think your right it is an 01 or 02 mod, coinciding with 3.6 engine, my 99 cannot shift manually when in auto and some of the guys on this site suggest the software can be upgraded, I'm still looking for an answer.

Cheers

AD
Old 12-21-2004, 09:52 AM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2000 can shift manually when in Automatic mode. I believe it stays in manual mode (once a steering wheel button is pressed) for 8 seconds and then goes back to Automatic mode if no more shifts are made. Maybe this was a change between the 1999 and 2000 model years...
Old 12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

I guess I should rephrase my question!

Is it true, that

1) on earlier 996s when you push the gear-shifter-lever into the Manual setting, you can then change the gears manually with either a) the gear shifter itself (between the two front seats) and/or b) the buttons on the wheel,

but...

2) on later 996s when you push the gear-shifter-lever into Manual there is no way to change gears with the lever between the seats, and that one MUST use the wheel buttons to change gears?

If the above are true, at which point/year did such a change take place. I think someone suggested that it coincided with the engine change?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:06 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I believe the answer to your question is that 996s never had the option to manually shift with the floor shifter. The shifter plate for the center console does not have the additional gate for manual shifting. The only manual control is on the steering column, unlike the 993 which could be shifted either way. The other question concerning being able to shift manaully while in drive mode is present on early my 2000 model. I don't know about 99s. Mine does go back into Drive mode in about 8 seconds or so if no further shifts are made and depending on how I'm accelerating. For instance, if in Drive mode and I downshift and get it on real hard and keeps the rpms up around 4k, it will stay in the Manual mode. As soon as I let off a bit, it goes back to drive. Another thing I learned on the Ga mountain drive this weekend about the tiptronic. You can control the number of downshifts at any given time with the amount of braking force applied. Going into a corner really hard and braking late and hard results in going down 2 or even 3 gears. Going into a corner by letting off a bit first and braking easier results in one downshift at a time. The only problem is extended aggressive brake use results in the brakes getting really hot.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

smshirk - you'e completely explained my confusion. That clears things up. I'm a bit disappointed though, as I almost never used the steering wheel buttons on the 993 since it got a bit confusing during turns!

My auto was anemic to say the least, so it remained in manual 99% of the time, and the floor shifter was more intuitive for me. I guess with 996 you re-learn to use only the wheel buttons.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

It has taken a while for me to get used to, but now that I am, it is actually great! I only bought a tip because of traffic in Atlanta, but I can shift much quicker than I ever could with a manual. This is my,
8th Porsche, and while I would really rather have a 993, I don't think I would be as happy driving anything else in daily traffic. On top of that I make frequent trips to the mountains to unwind on the twisites. I get through them much fasterwith the tip than anything else I've ever had, including that 400+HP 911 in my avatar. But driven correctly, I don't think the stock brakes are good enough for tracking it.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:03 PM
RexracerX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cool tip for the Tip was in this months Panorama. It says "....With the gear selector in drive, you're blasting along the back straight at high speed in fifth gear....When you reach your braking zone, apply the brakes heavily with your left foot. When the rpms reach 4000, use your right foot to blip the throttle all the way to the floor, releasing it instantaneously, while still applying the brakes with your left. The Tiptronic will downshift to fourth. When the rpms again reach 4000, repeat the process. The transmission drops to third....Again, second....etc...."

Very cool. I want to go borrow a Tip and try it!

Quick Reply: tiptronic shifter question