Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak out of Exhaust? Replace Engine/Head Gasket? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 03:05 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Leak out of Exhaust? Replace Engine/Head Gasket? Opinions?

As many of you read about my unfortunate luck with my 99... the situation is with my new engine in the car (actually a used 99 porsche rebuilt engine with 9k miles from a salvaged porsche 996) has developed coolant coming out of the exhaust tip.. which as we know, most likely will result in complete engine failure pretty shortly from coolant leaking from the head gasket...

The question I have is, is replacing the head gasket worth trying, or should I just go for a rebuilt engine and exchange the core for a few thousand dollars more than a head gasket replacement (the engine only has 9k miles)? Or if this is happening, am I pretty much sinking another few thousand dollars into the head gasket, when the engine destined to blow again?

Or maybe I was thinking that after I replace the head gasket to simply get an extended warranty... so the engine replacement with labor will be about $12k with the core... and head gasket replacement 2k to 3k... and if the engine does blow, hopefully it'll be after 30 days and 1,000 miles...

Anyone had experience or can they make any recommendations on what to do?

I know everyone is telling me to sell my car after all i've invested into it, but since essentially everything in the car has been replaced with new parts, and i've spent so much money on the exterior... (repainted and upgraded to a twin turbo body, suspension, exhaust, wheels, etc..) i'm kind of at a crossroads... regardless I will definately be getting an extended warranty after this is fixed...

The problem is the extended warranty companies require me to drive the car for a minimum of 30 days and 1000 miles, and I have a feeling the engine won't last that long, and blow up again, and/or throw a rod and make the core useless, costing me even more for the engine if i'm driving it with this leak... this is exactly what happened on my previous engine that just blew up on me 150 miles ago... porsche wouldn't take back the core due to the huge hole in the block that the rod decided to so graciously put in it and cause the first fire, so it would have costed me $15k for the engine and labor, which is not something i'm not looking forward to again...

If engine replacement is recommended over head gasket replacement, can anyone recommend a place in the pacific northwest to bring my car to that has reasonable prices and specializes in this or know of a place with a used 996 engine for sale at a reasonable price? thanks for the assistance...

- Bob
- the guy with the 99 porsche 996 from hell
Old 10-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would need a head resurface. Usually head gaskets go because of a warped head that is usually causing by overheating. The grinding would alter the compression ratio on one bank.

Personally, I don't like aftermarket reground heads. There is too much variance in shops doing the work. After it's done, the car may never run right. If you're going to change things how about a new head/heads (used)? The block is less like to be warped.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak out of Exhaust? Replace Engine/Head Gasket? Opinions?