996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

removing "non-sticker" airbag warning

Old 03-10-2004, 06:11 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing "non-sticker" airbag warning

the new 966 comes with the sun visor airbag warning "painted" on (not a sticker)
Is there anyway to remove this without damaging the sunvisor?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Use DENATURED Alcohol - this is NOT the stuff in the medicine cabinet. It is found at some hardware stores.

Take a small new sponge and soak it with some of this, then place the sponge on the visor (removing the visor helps here). Be sure none drips into the hinge of the mirror flap or it will kill the springs.

After a few minutes, take a cotton q-tip and use it with the alcohol to exert some force on the painted sticker. It will begin to break up and come off in small bits. Take your time.

When done, use leather or vinyl conditioner. I did this on savanna beige - flawless.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-11-2004, 12:27 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Takes a while but it does work- did it on black visors on a GT3. The stupid stickers on the back of the sport seats were a REAL pain. Nothing worked other than a heat gun and plastic scrapper and lots of time...
Old 03-11-2004, 03:03 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

I hate those things so I'm grateful for this post. Now I can remove them.

In my Audi days, they were stickers that could easily be removed. Every time I took my S4 into the shop it came back with the stickers put back on the visors....WTF?!

After the 2nd time this happened I went back to the service advisor and told him "I OWN THE FVCKING CAR AND NOT THIS DEALERSHIP... so stop putting these stickers BACK on MY sun visors!"

That solved the problem!
Old 03-12-2004, 10:36 AM
chrisalberts
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by NickS
I hate those things so I'm grateful for this post. Now I can remove them.

In my Audi days, they were stickers that could easily be removed. Every time I took my S4 into the shop it came back with the stickers put back on the visors....WTF?!

After the 2nd time this happened I went back to the service advisor and told him "I OWN THE FVCKING CAR AND NOT THIS DEALERSHIP... so stop putting these stickers BACK on MY sun visors!"

That solved the problem!
Frankly I'm amazed. I took the stickers off our 01 S4 Avant and never had a problem. Nor would I expect to. It may be the law to have the sticker on there at delivery of the car, but I would assume it's like those tags on soft furnishings and mattresses that can be removed by the consumer only. Sounds like your dealer was ****.

Anyway, I have an 01 C2 and I'm thoroughly sick of the stickers as they're very distracting. Will the heat gun/goof off/denatured alcohol method work on an 01? Also is there any problem with removing the visors completely to do this?

C.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:18 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it in fact a sticker? On my C4S, it appears to be "painted on" and not a separate sticker.

I have also thought of just covering it with a porsch emblem
Old 03-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

On the Porsche visor, it's painted on. That's why you use the denatured alcohol, which acts like a mild paint thinner.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:18 PM
threeOh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few notes

After an average of 1 car/year I'm getting good at removing these stickers.

This is on an '04 (assume adhesives change thru the years so this may not work on yours) (and assumes you have a steady hand)

Use denatured alcohol and q-tip as discussed below. Keep a handy supply of denatured alcohol in a jar or glass as you need quick access to it.

Rub one corner about 1/4" in until it begins moving. "Grab" the corner (tweezers maybe or don't trim your fingernails for awhile) and begin lifting slowly. The sticker will stretch and gradually pull itself off. If it sticks (mine did on the very edge), simply rub the q-tip directly on where its sticking. There's no need to take it off in pieces with bits of crap and adhesive all over the place. I got 3 of 4 off in 1 piece, the other in 2.

The nice thing about this approach is the sticker lifts the adhesive with it. You end up with only the edges to clean up.

Use denatured alcohol for clean-up don't use 3M's adhesive remover. The 3M won't hurt anything but the denatured alcohol lifted the adhesive much better.

If you have black visors there's a comment somewhere on using shoe polish. Not only will this cover any residual outlines of the sticker but the vinyl visor ends up looking more like leather than anything in your car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: removing "non-sticker" airbag warning