Wanted to share some of the projects I have done with my car over the last year.
When I bought my TT 11 years ago it had a pretty fresh 3.8 single plug engine in it (maybe 4k miles). The engine has always run strong and been very dependable. However, there was one nagging problem with the engine. It had oil seeping out between the heads and cylinders. I'd never seen any oil on the floor in my garage because any oil that would actually drip off the heads would land on the heat exchangers. Well any of you that has had oil on their heat exchangers know what that smells like when you get done with a drive
I had recently retired and thought why not get this fixed once and for all. So I decided to pull the engine and trans myself and then take the engine to my shop for inspection. I had a couple floor jacks and made a wood platform to drop the engine onto. Since I took my time, removing the engine and trans went pretty smooth.
I then took the engine to Schneiders Autohaus up in Santa Barbara. I wanted to keep the car at my house while the engine was being done to do some other maintenance work. I had been speaking with the owner and head tech at Schneiders , Henry, about doing this project for many years.
With the engine apart, they didn't find any glaring problems. It's hard to spot exactly why the leak was happening but I suspect that the heads were not machined properly when the last shop did the engine. When the engine was built prior to my ownership the shop used Wossner pistons and cylinders for the 3.8 which were purchased through FVD. The heads were welded and flame (O) ringed.
I decided to start over new with P&C's from Mahle.
I sent the heads to Verden in NJ to have the them rebuilt and twin plugged.
I had purchased a twin plug distributor from a 993 NA years ago thinking one day I would do this. The distributor was rebuilt and a new set of wires were put on.
I added check valves.
Put back in the GT2 EVO cams.
Henry finished putting the engine back together.
We also put a new Sachs 764 pressure plate in.
While the car was at Schneiders, I spent about 40 hours cleaning the old cosmoline off the underside of the car and suspension.
Replaced the sub-frame bushings
Replaced the rear lower control arms
Engine went back in the car and I had it flatbedded home because I didn't have any bumpers on it.
I removed the Ruf bumpers
And put factory bumpers on. Euro on the rear and turbo s lip on the front
The goal here was to build a very streetable engine, nothing too over the top that doesn't leak