Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 GT2 built on original (race) chassis

Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 AM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 993 GT2 built on original (race) chassis

Hello, I own several 911s from 1975 (930 3.0) to 2016 (991 RS) but I have a soft spot for the original GT2 ... to me it is the perfect combination of old time simplicity and modern level of performance.

The current market makes the proposition of actually using a 993 GT on the road or let alone on the track rather irrealistic, unless you are UHNW individual (that I am not) ... and even those may prefer the static type of collection having several other modern cars in their stable.

I found my next best alternative: a 993 GT built on an original body-shell (not a turbo or other donor car) with all original parts.
These body-shells where also supplied by Porsche to several private teams in period that where building their own GT racecars between 1996 and 1998.

I can actually own and use a "real" 993 GT since I purchased a few years ago mine that was built on an extra chassis from the MY1998 production run of the 20 officially sanctioned road cars with the Porsche VIN.
I was lucky to get alongside my car some internal documents that show all "production numbers" for the MY1998 road-going 993 GT.
They all have production numbers stamped on the chassis (different from the VIN) that start with 148 ****.

It is my understanding that the first digit is either 0 (replacement body-shell) or 1 (body-shell for a full car) , the second digit is 4 for the RS-CUP-RSR-GT cars and the third digit is the model year.

Along the years I was able to inspect a few original 993 GT clubsport and found them having a production number starting with 146 ****

I was able to inspect also a couple of ex-race cars built on original EVO chassis with built numbers starting with 047 **** and 048 ****.

Below is my current car, which I use on the road and track with much satisfaction.

But, it is in the human nature not to be ever satisfied ... and I am looking at another project of similar kind.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 06:07 AM
cebe
Racer

I am now considering to put alongside the road version GT2 another 993 GT just for the track and I have found what looks like a 993 GT2 EVO original body-shell (rohkarosserie).

Following are some pictures and details of this object.

Is any expert here able to confirm if the rollcage actually conforms to the original version?

To my limited knowledge looks very similar to the real official examples I have seen.
In particular the extra tubing in the footwell area and in the frunk area towards the front suspension domes.
These are extra compared to the regular clubsport (or cup) welded cage.
Such a chassis should be much more rigid than the road version.
Also the hole on the back right-hand side looks (to me) an original EVO chassis modification.
The additional structure for the air-jack in the back, just behind the door, also looks a legitimate race detail (only cup, RSR and GT EVO would have it to my knowledge).

Also the chassis number has the second digit as a 4, so it could only be (in my understanding):

993 RS (road)
993 RS (clubsport)
993 CUP (welded cage should be identical to clubsport)
993 RSR (racing and very rare)
993 GT (road)
993 GT EVO (racing)

Any suggestion or remark that can help identify the chassis type is welcome.
Attached Images     
Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 AM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have some nice ideas

I can't confirm if it is the real deal but can share you my thoughts.
There are some rennlisters with the original catalogue of the gt2 and gt2 evo wich will give you some interesting information.

My opinion based on some small knowledge is that only the race cars and then i think the EVO's had the additional x-brace in the cage that runs from the roof to the chassis through the seating area's.

Original cages were MATTER cages that had a sticker on them, and i think that is long gone in your case.

The oil filler hole in the rear right panel was an optional thinks that race teams did there self ?

Maybe you can run the vin on: http://www.racingsportscars.comand see if something pop's up
Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 AM
MBDark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a privateer car with another strange cage setup. It has the crossbar, and nascar style doors. It ran in BPR and ALMS supposedly. Sorry for the giant photo...

Old 05-08-2017, 03:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Are you saying that your current car is built on a replacement GT2 body? Road body or race body?

I assumed all GT2 body in white replacement tubs were for race cars only.
(And you had to have a race car VIN to get a replacement body which would carry on the old VIN which should be present on the replacement tub.)

The VIN of the race car would different from the road and clubsport cars. I think...

I am looking a GT2 race car and replacement body and the VIN dosnt have the numbers starting in 148 or 048 etc...
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2017, 04:20 AM
cebe
Racer

Default Production numbers for 993 and 964

During my investigation on the chassis above, I was able to exchange a few mails with Porsche expert Norbert Franz.

He was very kind to clarify for me that the production number system (the one for the identification of chassis during production) used for the G-series was changed starting for the 964 for the regular production chassis.
For a few limited production and race cars the system was retained up until the end of 1998.

Consequently a 964 cup or a 964 RSR or a 993 GT or a 993 GT R will have an original production number with the second digit as a 4 (irrespective of the model year): that identifies the racecars for the 964 and 993 series.
A replacement tub of the same will have the first digit as a 0 (to identify a replacement instead of a 1) and the same 4 as a second digit.
The third digit is always the model year.

For the regular production cars, the second digit is not always the same for the same type of car (coupe, cabrio, targa, ...) in the different model years.
This is an added safety feature, to make counterfeit of a car more difficult.

You have to keep in consideration that several 964 cup evolved to RSR and then possibly the same chassis was used to create a GT2: teams were using what was available and what they could afford.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

^
I was going by the VIN.

Where is the production number located on the body?

Is your yellow street car built from a left over race car tub from a race team? (full caged body) If so, does it have a VIN belonging to a race car?
(I cant see it being a left over tub from the street car run that never made it into production...)

Typically, Porsche would only sell a replacement race car tub to a race team if their original car was distroyed with proof and VIN removed.

Very interesting car.
Also, if that is another spare tub that you are looking at using for a build it would be interesting to know where it came from.

In USA, race teams were not able to get GT2 race cars so they would use new 993 turbo street cars as donors to build GT2 rae cars. I believe Champion did this for their GT2 race car program.

So it would not be uncommon to find custom caged 993 street turbos used for GT2 racing.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:48 PM
cebe
Racer

Default My 993 GT

Hello,

My car is the 21st chassis of model year 1998 road cars.

Actually it was the first chassis produced but it had a defect and was set aside as a spare one.

The chassis was purchased by a Porsche employee and built into a complete car with all original components and the engine and VIN from a 993 turbo.

My car has chassis production number 148 1977 and the VIN from a 993 turbo that donated the engine.

The Porsche engineer gave me the internal document with the full list of all 1998 production numbers and they all start with 148 ****.

Ciao,
Cesare
Old 05-09-2017, 12:53 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cebe
Hello,

My car is the 21st chassis of model year 1998 road cars.

Actually it was the first chassis produced but it had a defect and was set aside as a spare one.

The chassis was purchased by a Porsche employee and built into a complete car with all original components and the engine and VIN from a 993 turbo.

My car has chassis production number 148 1977 and the VIN from a 993 turbo that donated the engine.

The Porsche engineer gave me the internal document with the full list of all 1998 production numbers and they all start with 148 ****.

Ciao,
Cesare
very interesting GT2!

If you can build another one from a racing tub you would have quite the pair.
The GT2 intercooler and engine management are getting expensive... other then that the parts shouldnt be too bad.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I have a factory 993 Motorsports ABS control unit if you are interested.

Also have a factory Cup/RSR/Gt2 shift ****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 GT2 built on original (race) chassis