Sponsored by:

993TT engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993TT engine swap

Has anybody installed a 993 turbo engine in their rwd 993 here in California and were able to get it certified by the state referee?
The reason why I ask, I had installed a 993 turbo engine in a 993 C4S and because I had removed the front wheel drive the ref was unable to run the smog test. His rationale was because the 993TT came with awd, doesn't matter what car that motor is installed in it will also have to have awd. In my mind I was thinking "Can you just make believe it has awd?" instead I told him according to the BAR's engine swap guidelines the engine and chassis should have all factory/original equipment for controlling exhaust emissions. But he was adamant, the test parameters calls for the car to have original equipment i.e., with awd.
Funny thing is I understand his rationale but I don't see how the fwd has anything to do with controlling exhaust emissions.
Any feed back will be much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:35 AM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

That implies that one could not disable front drive on a C4? WTF? For you younger guys, at one time CA was actually a pretty cool place. BS probably started 40 years ago with Moonbeam and has continued with the same mind set in Sacramento.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:42 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

Hey WhiteCab its only if you have to bring your car to the state referee. Before I did the engine swap the car had been thru numerous smog checks and not once did the tech looked underneath the front end of the car.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:52 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Is it in the system that the state specifically knows you've swapped the engine and changed to rear drive? I would say try again at a DIFFERENT referee station. They don't need to know it's not 4x4 and it may be good because that means they don't put the car on rollers. I had a star station insist on putting my car on rollers until I insisted him to look up the Turbo - It's 4x4! VERY frustrating for you - this is exactly the kind of situation the referee system is supposed to solve.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:37 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Once you've delved into the "state referees system" you may be done. If car is deemed a "gross polluter" it will carry that around like a ball and chain. Just like most think CHP officers know the vehicle code (which may not be the case), some people are placed in positions, they really shouldn't be in. Promoted beyond their ability. As others suggested, try a different county, small hole in the wall smog shop, where the guy just wants to make ya happy, and get yer car passed.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:27 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

Hey PB993 from experience, this isn't the 1st time I've done an engine swap in a 911, I knew I would have to take the car to the referee. If I brought it to a regular smog station it wouldn't pass the visual inspection. It would be hard to explain away the intercooler and the turbos.
The referee didn't know I had deleted the fwd. When I gave him the renewal notice he went to his computer looked it up and said "So your car is AWD?" I gave him an affirmative, because technically it used to be. After he did a visual on the engine and exhaust system, he started up the car I was thinking 'Great he's going to do the emission test.' As the car was warming up he grabbed a flashlight and mirrors and began looking underneath the front end of the car where the front axles used to be. Ahhh sh_t, busted. He was nice enough not to give me a hard time about it.
I might use your suggestion and take it to another referee. Unless someone knows that its a lost cause and I should go ahead and reinstall the fwd, temporarily, just long enough to get the certification.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:02 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

Love to Visit CA, Could never live there do to all the BS regulations pertaining to Everything, then there's the politics....

NO offense to locals , But Geeze.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I think you're kinda screwed at this point. Only real path is convert back to AWD, get the referee sign off. Maybe just front diff and axles would be enough of an illusion to get you by. Can't see under the tunnel etc easily for the rest of the bits.

Once done and signed off you're free to go back to 2wd but be damn sure you choose future SMOG stations wisely!

Last edited by MarinS4; 01-15-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:14 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

Thanks MarinS4, that was the plan. There's just no way they would be able to see if the front diff is connected or not.
Yeah I'll take it to a guy that I've been taking it to for the last couple of smog checks, does a very brief visual. I thought about bringing the car to him but its too late now since they have it on file that I made an appointment with the referee due to an engine change. Plus I want the car to be legit for if I decide to sell it much later on down the road. Right now I'm just having too much fun with it.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:23 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Since you're local we should meet up. Curious how your swap compares to my conversion.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 AM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

too(t) - thanks for the clarification. I wonder what the percentage of visual checks is on an AWD. I have a TWD turbo and a 4WD NA.

Also, does a 25th "birthday" avoid this?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:41 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

WhiteCab as far as I know its only when you've down a radical engine change that you need to go to the state ref where they do a thorough visual check, if you want it certified. The Star and regular smog stations only do visual check on the engine and exhaust system.
You've got another 5 years before its exempted.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

MarinS4, sure once I get mine sorted out. Unfortunately another issue came up that I have to address before I can reschedule an appointment with the referee. The other day the CEL came on, turns out to be a SAI fault code! You probably know that its a compounded problem because once SAI issue is fixed the fault code will need to be cleared which will clear the readiness of the monitors that are a pain to reset. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: 993TT engine swap