Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Turbo or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

TURBO, TURBO, TURBO, I Have had 3-4 3.8's, Just drove a 75 (light) with a 993 3.8 & modded tranny etc, Was fast, but no Comparison, A Slightly modded 993TT done right (450/450) is a World Apart, Especially after you learn to use the Torque, Don't forget about the Torque!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 PM
TigrEnginr
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uncle UNCLE!! I give up.....subconsciously I knew the answer but I needed to ask.

Now, who has a turbo that will let me take it for a spin? I'm in Orlando, also known to have the best roads in the world....

Hopefully I won't have the sound of crickets from this point forward.

Many thanks guys!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
^ ahh but you can do a few relatively simple/reversible mods to make the turbo more 'connected'...
Yes! My Carrera is slightly "tweaked" the suspension geometry although nothing agressive and no major upgrades while my turbo in it's super stiff/stock suspension and with old tires feels more light the front.

I just installed Bridgestone Potenza R tires so we will how does it change the ride/handling.

Anyways, I love both at their own way but I know my turbo is special
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
Not sure you would want to attempt turbo charging the NA engine.
The TT (GT1) engine is very different design - lower compression and much stronger crank, rods etc to handle the 400 + HP
The na motor is the same design. prove the crank and rods are stronger
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

come on guys. the NA 993 is a great car but its a bore compared to the TT, boost is boost unless its a GT car

TT all day long
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I drive my brother C4S regularly and I find it very enjoyable to drive for spirited road canyons etc. With NA you really push the car more without the feeling of getting yourself in serious trouble. Another plus on the NA is the motor sound just fabulous.

The minuses are obvious as others have mentioned but one of them not mentioned is the gearing is far inferior to the TT.

But if I had to honestly ask myself would I spend double the $ or more for the TT, prob no. Best value today for driving enjoyment is the C2 IMO (simple, light, rwd), even the premium for a NA WB is questionable. If your thinking investment return, we'll that's another topic.

Best to get some seat time in both.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

...I am sure every enthusiast has experienced arriving at a friends BBQ or a party or at work all fired up with your new/ or 'new to you' 911 and standing their with pride someone says..."Hey..nice car, but have you ever seen the XXXXX? " (fill in the blank xxxx but of course, that is the car you really want). Simple answer in my mind is if you can swing it....do it -and if its a stretch - enjoy a C2, C4, 964 -993...anyone of these magnificent cars..although I was never satisfied until I did finally get my 993tt (with KPH on the speedo)..and even then I continue to look for something - what not quite sure.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned every model of the 993 with the exception of the Cabriolet. I like the NA 993 very much, but I absolutely love the turbo. Every time I pull the turbo back into the garage after a spirited drive I always think to myself "there is no substitute." The turbo is just an exceptional car . . . even by today's standards. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Funny, a number of 993's go through my shop, and I get to test drive a lot of NA cars, usually to feel for issues or see if something is fixed - and usually in the back of my mind is saying "shoot man, this car feels slow, better tone back my expectations" while at the same the owner of the NA car, sitting next to me, is saying "boy she sure goes great, right?". I usually just smile and nod, because for that engine, it is going great.

However, having owned NA cars for years, all it takes is a hour or so of driving, and you get used to the less power, and enjoy winding out the car and enjoy getting better at using the power available. With a Turbo, it's hard to use all the power, the push in 2nd gear just continues in 3rd so by the time the car slows in acceleration, you are really really moving. But that push into the seat -..

So, some Pros and Cons off the top of my head:

CONS
- high amount of capital tied up
- more mechanical complexity, possible higher maintenance costs (but they are super reliable)
- heavier car overall
- AWD feel (with heavier steering, etc) vs 2WD
- very poor fuel mileage - these car's really SUCK fuel, like 12mpg in the city, worse on the track
- hard to get a really good exhaust sound (its possible to be pretty good but its different than the NA cars)
- more mileage is viewed more negatively than NA cars. 60,000 miles on a Turbo is high, on a NA car its low. As a result, you get more sensitive to usage since the cost/mile in depreciation is higher than the NA cars.
- higher capital risk if tracking (assuming no track insurance)

PROS
- damn sexy lines and one of the best in the 993 series, especially those hips, with the POWER to go with it. You can get the same body in an S, but those are even slower than the NA cars
- gearing is closer to NA euro gearing than North American NA gearing (essentially getting a euro box as part of the deal). As Knight says, this is not usually talked about, but that combined with 400+HP ....
- super torquey engine, so lower speed push is fantastic - very drivable around the city, and easy to get squirt around traffic - hell there is enough power to squirt around highway passing too.
- power helps negate using heavier wheels (if you choose) and the weight of the car
- very little turbo lag, smooth HP curves combined with tons of bottom end torque
- Big Reds already installed
- drivetrain and components all designed for more power (compare driveshafts between a NA car and a Turbo for instance)
- lots of room for power adds from stock engine
- driving a super special car just makes it more of an event

Both Knight and myself got into a 993TT years ago when the market was quite low and the TT was much closer to a S in cost. If I had to buy a 993 today, I would not buy a TT just because they are so expensive and I do not want that sort of capital tied up, and would likely look at an S or NB car. The big money has been already made on the 993TT, but the chances or zero depreciation is still pretty good, and where can you get a car like that, with its performance and cache, and have zero or better depreciation?

At the end though, you got to take a few cars out and decide for yourself.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the C4S is a nice little car. Sounds great and handles well. Not much torque, but for the city and highway it is ample.

The turbo takes the performance to modern era standards.

Id go turbo if you can stomach the purchase price.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a friend a while back pick up a nice little C2. Asked me to see what I thought of it. It had a few items, is very clean, and a fun car. But it really showed me, how focused my car has become. And the turbos can't be touched by much at the same level. I guess the short answer, to the OPs original post, would be "silly question". :-)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The na motor is the same design. prove the crank and rods are stronger
Exactly the same parts in both cars.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Knight
I drive my brother C4S regularly and I find it very enjoyable to drive for spirited road canyons etc. With NA you really push the car more without the feeling of getting yourself in serious trouble. Another plus on the NA is the motor sound just fabulous.

The minuses are obvious as others have mentioned but one of them not mentioned is the gearing is far inferior to the TT.

But if I had to honestly ask myself would I spend double the $ or more for the TT, prob no. Best value today for driving enjoyment is the C2 IMO (simple, light, rwd), even the premium for a NA WB is questionable. If your thinking investment return, we'll that's another topic.

Best to get some seat time in both.
I have not driven a C4/S but I'm guessing is about the same a my 993tt with lot less power/torque. And after having my RoW Carrera (G50/21 "closer ratios" ) I don't believe I would like more a C4 over a C2 but I would have to drive both to really see the differences.

I agree with you about the bold phrase quoted in your comment!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Exactly the same parts in both cars.

Are you certain of this? The crank stroke and the rod length are the same for sure in both motors, but don't the TT motors get a more fortified Rod and crank then the NA cars?

The crank/balancer definitely has some slight differences because the Turbo has the dual mass flywheel.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:28 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carguy19
Are you certain of this? The crank stroke and the rod length are the same for sure in both motors, but don't the TT motors get a more fortified Rod and crank then the NA cars?

The crank/balancer definitely has some slight differences because the Turbo has the dual mass flywheel.
As well the N.A. engines, except the RS AFAIK.

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo or not