Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993TT Storage vs. 993 Storage

Old 10-22-2016, 08:53 AM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993TT Storage vs. 993 Storage

New 993TT for me this year; so, this will be the first year I store it in my garage. I have a 993 C4 Cab, so I am familiar with the winter storage procedure.
Just double checking if there is anything different I should do for 993TT vs my 993 C4 Cab?????
Thank you...
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2016, 02:12 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Turbos are the low point for the oiling system, so don't be alarmed by some oil seepage on the turbo lines or a puff of blue smoke when you fire it up for the springtime.

I store mine in a garage on the battery tender and I start it and let it get to operating temperature and put the AC on for a few minutes once a month just to get all the gaskets, o-rings and seals moist. I also stuff some steel wool in the tailpipes... one of my cars in the past had a mouse family get into the tailpipe and up into the heat exchanger and made a nest that almost caused the car to overheat. (remove steel wool before starting monthly and reinstall).

If you have a lot of garage traffic. Put a cover on it. Make sure the car is clean when you do it.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:12 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Did you buy your car in Connecticut?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:47 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts

Add Stabil, fill 'er up, park on foam pads, set mouse traps with sunflower seed bait and plug in to trickle charger via cigarette lighter. If your bait is disappearing and you are not catching anything, it's ants. Add ant traps. Advice I've read and received is not to start it unless you're going for a 5 or so mile drive. Seals will not dry out in 6 months especially if you're using the proper M1 V Twin 20W-40 oil. I don't cover because rodents like dark places and I like to see my baby every few days! Install a dehumidifier if your garage is damp. If you're really fanatical, pull the fuel pump relay and crank to circulate oil before start up in the spring. Mine never smokes on start up but I have after market turbo oil feed lines. Enjoy!

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 10-22-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy19
I also stuff some steel wool in the tailpipes... one of my cars in the past had a mouse family get into the tailpipe and up into the heat exchanger and made a nest that almost caused the car to overheat.
Rodents in our tail pipe can't be good, and seems like a reasonable recommendation but not quite sure what you mean by the heat exchanger - muffler? catalytic converter?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:16 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Add Stabil, fill 'er up, park on foam pads, set mouse traps with sunflower seed bait and plug in to trickle charger via cigarette lighter. If your bait is disappearing and you are not catching anything, it's ants. Add ant traps.
I use peanut butter on mouse traps and this is my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0KKJT8..._Fk.cyb74S8DJ3

Hair trigger and reusable time after time..
Old 10-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^ agree, those are good traps, secure them with string or they often disappear..
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 11:46 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I tried peanut butter but it didn't seem to work as well and it dries out. I put 2 of the wooden Victor traps on each side of the garage door and one at the halfway point at the edge of each wall. They seem to be reusable for years.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Rodents in our tail pipe can't be good, and seems like a reasonable recommendation but not quite sure what you mean by the heat exchanger - muffler? catalytic converter?
well I guess the rodent could make it through the muffler and then into the heat exchanger (I'm sure you know what it is, but its basically the area surrounding the header to provide heat for the cabin.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:09 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well I guess the rodent could make it through the muffler and then into the heat exchanger (I'm sure you know what it is, but its basically the area surrounding the header to provide heat for the cabin.
Precisely. Thats where my little friends decided to make their winter cabin. I now have a new, more secure, nicer garage with better doors so the critters cannot get in. Mice can't chew through steel wool. So I jam some steel wool in the tailpipe when I stop using the car for the year.

Also I forgot to mention, as stated above. Fill the gas tank up all the way. I actually put 100 octane unleaded fuel in the car in the winter and let it sit that way all winter. There is less BS in the fuel and its a cleaner fuel then at the pump with all the dirt, rust, water and God knows what in the tanks underground. I also use a screen-like fine paper filter to make sure there are no particles going into the tank from when I fill it up.

Plus I know the car will run strong when I first take it out for next spring.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:36 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^ well, the point is, they can't get to the heat exchanger from the tail pipe (come on Quad!, didn't expect that from you) ...
they would have to go through the muffler, cat, turbos, and get through the walls of the header...
Old 10-26-2016, 09:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

^ well, the point is, they can't get to the heat exchanger from the tail pipe (come on Quad!, didn't expect that from you) ...
they would have to go through the muffler, cat, turbos, and get through the walls of the header...
OK girls, play nice now.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I had the same thought, but keep in mind that the route you mentioned gets you into the "exhaust" side of the heat exchanger.

After you get through the muffler, you can enter the "cabin air" side of the heat exchanger (unless i'm missing some sort of internal baffling) through the below connection:
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2016, 08:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I had the same thought, but keep in mind that the route you mentioned gets you into the "exhaust" side of the heat exchanger.

After you get through the muffler, you can enter the "cabin air" side of the heat exchanger (unless i'm missing some sort of internal baffling) through the below connection:
I thought more about this and realized I was wrong. the cabin air goes around the outside of the exhaust tube so there is no way to the heat exchanger that a rodent could get to
Old 11-02-2016, 12:33 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993TT Storage vs. 993 Storage