Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't idle, starving for fuel issue??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Car won't idle, starving for fuel issue??

Hi there, Been a while since on the thread but after the car was working great a week ago it now won't idle and seems to be starving for fuel. I can keep it running by revving it but is sputters and knocks and make odd noises and then slowly cuts out after not idling properly. It also smells flooded, probably because of revving it to keep it running.

Any ideas on if you have experienced this. I was thinking maybe a fuel filter or bad gas but it ran fine for 3/4 of a tank and I have not refilled yet. Is the fuel filter easily changed. I saw it next to the airbox yesterday when I had the intercooler off but am not sure if its an easy change (most things aren't)

Need to get it sorted out for Rennsport Reunion in a few weeks in Monterey. Hopefully there is an easy fix so I can avoid taking it in for service.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprintrider
Hi there, Been a while since on the thread but after the car was working great a week ago it now won't idle and seems to be starving for fuel. I can keep it running by revving it but is sputters and knocks and make odd noises and then slowly cuts out after not idling properly. It also smells flooded, probably because of revving it to keep it running.

Any ideas on if you have experienced this. I was thinking maybe a fuel filter or bad gas but it ran fine for 3/4 of a tank and I have not refilled yet. Is the fuel filter easily changed. I saw it next to the airbox yesterday when I had the intercooler off but am not sure if its an easy change (most things aren't)

Need to get it sorted out for Rennsport Reunion in a few weeks in Monterey. Hopefully there is an easy fix so I can avoid taking it in for service.

Thanks for your help guys.
If you have an extra DME relay, pop it in. Otherwise bypass it. Then start with trouble-shooting the (ISV) idle speed valve. If you need to push the accelerator pedal down to keep the engine running then its starved of air, not fuel.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:38 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Jason,

I will run down to EBS Racing in the morning and try and get one, that could save me a bunch of hassles.

Quick Reply: Car won't idle, starving for fuel issue??