Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with LWF & RS 4.0 clutch disc

Old 08-01-2016, 06:58 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with LWF & RS 4.0 clutch disc

I purchased an RS LWF kit but with the GT3RS 4.0 clutch disc instead of the older RS (blue) disc.
Need some help please to understand if there is an issue here before proceeding.

From previous posts , I had read that the 4 litre disc could help with noise etc and I know a few members have already used this on their 993tt with LWF so figured it should be ok with this configuration.

Engine is stock so I also chose to use a new STOCK Turbo PP as opposed to the 764 version.

When I place the disc into the LWF on the bench, with the raised centre of the disc facing the Flywheel, it is a very tight fit and the disc can hardly be moved at all once pushed down, almost feels like the raised spring cage is pressing against the flywheel.
In this way around, when the PP is placed on top, the steel centre section of the disc will not allow the PP to go down, it just sits on top.....cannot be right??

Turned the other way around (with raised centre facing away from flywheel) it seems to fit better but still when the PP is placed on top, the TO bearing touches the disc centre and just doesn't seem right.

Any ideas?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Few threads below are some pics of mine and "had" the same issue as you, in different clutch (OE type DMF)...give it a read at my coments and photos...I bet once installed and properly torqued the bolts, it will clear out...even when my disc is UNSPRUNG and yours is SPRUNG type since the LWF is single mass.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/933454-fs-993-996-and-997-tt-gt2-gt3-sachs-sport-race-2-5-764-performance-clutch-brand-new.html
Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The side with the elevated springs should face the engine.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:21 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The disc are incorrectly marked "gear box side". The side that says "gear box", and is raised, goes towards flywheel. Also, the 4.0 disc is made to handle more power/torque, not sure if it matters using a standard PP or not.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:27 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

I agree it seems logical to position the disc with the raised section into the flywheel but look carefully at the pic I supplied of the 4 litre disc and compare that to the photos of the blue older type disc (kindly uploaded by Jason).

In particular check out the flat side and notice that the 4 litre disc has the centre splined section that extends way beyond that of the blue disc, a completely different design.

This is what confuses me because when I piece it all together, it only fits with the extended splined centre section facing the flywheel and the raised Spring holder facing away!!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:37 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

This is how it needs to be installed, I promise :-)
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1616
Size:  587.6 KB
Old 08-02-2016, 11:40 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WingChun
I agree it seems logical to position the disc with the raised section into the flywheel but look carefully at the pic I supplied of the 4 litre disc and compare that to the photos of the blue older type disc (kindly uploaded by Jason).

In particular check out the flat side and notice that the 4 litre disc has the centre splined section that extends way beyond that of the blue disc, a completely different design.

This is what confuses me because when I piece it all together, it only fits with the extended splined centre section facing the flywheel and the raised Spring holder facing away!!
I have the same thing as you, except I have the 764 PP. The pic of yours (that I edited) is the way it has to install. There's no other way.

Trending Topics

Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
I have the same thing as you, except I have the 764 PP. The pic of yours (that I edited) is the way it has to install. There's no other way.
It's physically impossible to install the 4 litre disc the way you described as can be seen from the photo.

Installed with raised section facing gearbox and works fine.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

A year later???? It's the ONLY way it'll work. You do understand, that the PP is gonna be pressed against disc, under pressure once clamped down. It's not gonna sit on it properly, until clamped down. Those tongues on the release bearing are pulled by fork, pulling PP away from disc. Once the assm is installed, you'll see the spring of the PP will bulge towards trans, and not be dished in. You sure you got the shorter guide tube?
Old 08-26-2017, 07:30 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
A year later???? It's the ONLY way it'll work. You do understand, that the PP is gonna be pressed against disc, under pressure once clamped down. It's not gonna sit on it properly, until clamped down. Those tongues on the release bearing are pulled by fork, pulling PP away from disc. Once the assm is installed, you'll see the spring of the PP will bulge towards trans, and not be dished in. You sure you got the shorter guide tube?
I had to abandon the project 12 months ago due to family illness so have only recently bolted it back up.

Yes I used the RS guide tube and works ok but I'm not sure about the additional noise. I also installed the FD trans mount which probably doesn't help.

I'll try it for a while and the noise/chatter is bugging me I'll go back to DMF.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ The FD trans mount adds a ton of noise for sure.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by WingChun
I had to abandon the project 12 months ago due to family illness so have only recently bolted it back up.

Yes I used the RS guide tube and works ok but I'm not sure about the additional noise. I also installed the FD trans mount which probably doesn't help.

I'll try it for a while and the noise/chatter is bugging me I'll go back to DMF.
Pull the FD trans mount out first, it does have a significant increase in gear noise. Not for everyone but I like it.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Reviving an old thread.

I have a supercharged 993 with a lot of low down torque that is frying my standard clutch. I'd like to upgrade to a LWFW anyway and my mechanic is advising either a GT3 RS or GT3 RS 4.0 clutch and flywheel setup.

It is a street car only and I am concerned about clutch feel being too on/off or too heavy.

Anyone got an experience of those in a 993?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the 4.0 RS clutch kit from Kevin at UMW for my turbo R and it is very drivable, i.e. not at all on/off. It doesn't seem to feel heavier than stock, but bare in mind that the tt has a hydraulic assisted clutch.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Thank you.

I am caught between ordering GT3 RS clutch and pressure plate and a 993/964 RS lightweight flywheel. My tech stated that this is an easy clutch action, with a progressive biting point. I am a little nervous because the 996/997 GT3 cars have assisted clutch action like you stated... my guy insists it's fine without, as in a 993 C2, and he drives his 964 with this setup.

If anyone has a view on that please do let me know.

My other option is the Sachs kit from FVD- https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD116909/...86-ft-lbs.html

This claims to be a street kit and is a decent price. I'm worried I'll make the wrong choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with LWF & RS 4.0 clutch disc